Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I re-stained my back deck on my house. The wood was really not looking good. So, I used deck cleaner and manually cleaned it, then stained it with semi transparent Valspar again, as the deck under cover is still real nice..
Here is a before picture of the wood. Just mucky and bad looking, but wood still in great shape for 12 years.
If you notice in the after picture when it rains how the partially covered ( half of the odd looking area is somewhat covered, area has a different look to it. The water is beading on it, but, not like the rest which is not covered. The white markings show here the nails are holding the wood for plank reference.
I did stain left to right 3 planks at a time, so its not any different stain when I hit those spots.
The only thing that this area has it almost 100% of the traffic in and out of the house.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a roof overhang directly above the transition? Or, is the change right where the shadow of the house strikes the decking?
Yes, but only about half of it. It may be just an age thing? Its the back yard and doesnt get allot of sun in that area..
I would think shade, walking on it are a bit of the issue. Deck looks good dry too.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
Would another coat help?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would another coat help?
Not sure. Last time I did it, I did one coat, but never really paid much attention after the rain..
It just seems like an interesting phenom of the wood being walked on, and partial sunshine may be causing that part of the wood to be softer, and flattened a little, if that makes sense. And when the stain was put on, it shows the wood.
Like sunshine on a car, you can see the waives, dings and dents after its painted.

Reactions: Auntie

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,747 Posts
To eliminate the "high traffic" potential cause, are you seeing water beading up right next to the railing depicted on the left side of the image? I assume nobody walks along that edge. If it's beading there, you might have found your cause. Just wear and erosion.
But if that area is also not beading up and it's a clear demarcation from one side that does and one that doesn't, I'd start looking at environmental causes.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wear and erosion. Nature is awesome..
People, basically me, walks straight to the gate and down to the shed, at least 4 times a day.. My cat lives out there.
Here is a picture I just took. The roof does protect allot of the deck. You can see a line from the roof, and the tree shade. This is the end of the day per say. But, I will now watch it more, just to see it when sunny.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The opposite side shows it better due to no tree being there.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,747 Posts
Wear and erosion. Nature is awesome..
People, basically me, walks straight to the gate and down to the shed, at least 4 times a day.. My cat lives out there.
Here is a picture I just took. The roof does protect allot of the deck. You can see a line from the roof, and the tree shade. This is the end of the day per say. But, I will now watch it more, just to see it when sunny.
It's crazy how straight that line is where it goes from beading to not beading. That's likely not from just foot traffic. It does appear to run parallel to the roof's shadow.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just took a picture after sun is gone and its not raining. I then poured some water on the planks to see if it puddles/ beads up which it did. The other side is still beaded up.
Its almost as if erosion or heat underneath is drying this section.. I checked woods temperature. All of it is 79 degrees, both sides in several spots.
It cant be the stain as I went left to right a few times with same brush, and it was mixed. So nature, erosion is possible?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,747 Posts
I'm correct in believing you sealed the whole thing after/during staining, right?
Why would the shaded portion be disproportionately affected by UV more than the part that gets more sun?

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
I'm correct in believing you sealed the whole thing after/during staining, right?
Why would the shaded portion be disproportionately affected by UV more than the part that gets more sun?
Seriously? You can't figure out that something that usually sitting in the sun will experience more UV damage than something sitting in the shade most of the time?

The shaded portion is LESS damaged by UV exposure. You can't be this dense.

·
Super Moderator
9,747 Posts
Seriously? You can't figure out that something that usually sitting in the sun will experience more UV damage than something sitting in the shade most of the time?

The shaded portion is LESS damaged by UV exposure. You can't be this dense.
Pump the brakes there Hoss, and maybe reread what I said instead of inferring nonsense.

I asked if he sealed it. Sealed wood beads water. The area exposed to sunlight the majority of the time is STILL beading water. The area mostly shaded is not. I asked the questions to get more information.
Are you really that quick to attack someone who's trying to get to the bottom of a problem?
Everything with you is taken as a direct insult. Spare me the pearl clutching, and just stick to the facts at hand.
Claiming UV damage on the sun exposed wood doesn't stand to reason, since that portion still beads water, implying that the sealant is still intact. I posed my question exactly as intended, to see if you indeed meant you thought the shaded portion is somehow affected more from UV than the sun exposed portion. That doesn't make sense. Thus, instead of jumping to conclusions and calling your intelligence into question, I simply asked for clarification on the matter.

Steve wants to know why the area that gets more shade doesn't bead water to the same level as the sun-exposed portion. The expectation is that the sealant is worn away there, but he wants to know what is causing it.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did seal it. I know it doesnt look like its beading as high as the other but it is beading up. It is weird, but it makes sense one portion is more damaged than the other due to the placement of the home and the sun.
Before I did the deck, the side that is beading more so, had more moldy wood, but it all cleaned up real well with a couple gallons of cleaner and a brush..
If its sunny today, I will see how it all looks. It all looks even, coloring etc, nonetheless.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked the beaded water a few minutes ago, that I did on the left side last night. It is still there. That makes me feel good.
Its almost as if it is heated underneath or something. There is nothing underneath, except some critters I am sure. No piping etc.
I have put wax on cars, and some areas bead real good, some not so much. Its something I cant explain..
I do appreciate everyone giving me things to think about on this.
Maybe I need a second coat, ugghh..
But, last time I did it, one was more than enough, till someone power washed it with wrong tip.

·
Registered
8,938 Posts
Pump the brakes there Hoss, and maybe reread what I said instead of inferring nonsense.

I asked if he sealed it. Sealed wood beads water. The area exposed to sunlight the majority of the time is STILL beading water. The area mostly shaded is not. I asked the questions to get more information.
Are you really that quick to attack someone who's trying to get to the bottom of a problem?
Everything with you is taken as a direct insult. Spare me the pearl clutching, and just stick to the facts at hand.
Claiming UV damage on the sun exposed wood doesn't stand to reason, since that portion still beads water, implying that the sealant is still intact. I posed my question exactly as intended, to see if you indeed meant you thought the shaded portion is somehow affected more from UV than the sun exposed portion. That doesn't make sense. Thus, instead of jumping to conclusions and calling your intelligence into question, I simply asked for clarification on the matter.

Steve wants to know why the area that gets more shade doesn't bead water to the same level as the sun-exposed portion. The expectation is that the sealant is worn away there, but he wants to know what is causing it.
Well, let me toss YOUR WORDS right back at you. Maybe you should take your own medicine and go back and read it.

Seriously.... take a good look at what YOU wrote.

If you can't figure it out......

·
Super Moderator
9,747 Posts
Seriously.... take a good look at what YOU wrote.

If you can't figure it out......
"Why would the shaded portion be disproportionately affected by UV more than the part that gets more sun? "
That was my question. You flipped it in your head, and then passively insulted me because of your misread.

If the sunny side beads water better than the shaded side, then it is STILL sealed well and not showing signs of UV wear.
If you really want to continue this discussion, drop your ego, discuss the facts of the matter, and maybe we can figure this mystery out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts