Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a bolt action 16 gauge at an estate auction for 80 dollars last week end.

I have always wanted a 16 gauge, but they have been a little elusive, the price was fantastic.

The gun has no mechanical issues that I have found, the bore is clean and shiny and with a little Hoppes number nine on the rails, she cycles divinely.

The stock is clean and with out any cracks all of the screws and breast plates are intact.

The finish of the stock is full of scratches and marks with the finish where your hand goes completely worn off.

Would you refinish the gun or let it have the character that comes with 50 years of use.:?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Make and model ? If the weapon has collector value I would not touch it.
If you find it is worth 80 dollars and you want to enjoy a few hours of refinishing work to make it look great then go for it

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I need to take a look I think there is one or two of them laying around here some where.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Mossberg model 190 three shot bolt action with adjustable screw choke. It does not have collector value in my opinion, but I am excited to have it.
Tried desperately to get one of those when I was 16. Loved the adjustable choke and box magazine. GREAT shotgun concept! BUT, BEWARE!!! I bought one brand new and had to return three different guns! Also found two more brand new in the store defective!

Each time I took the guns home I cleaned them thoroughly and took them out to shoot. After being fired even one time I brought them back in for another cleaning and found they ALL had cracks in the chambers! Look closely into the chamber with either bright sun light behind you, or with a good flashlight. As mentioned, ALL FIVE brand new guns were found to have cracks!

I ended up getting a 500 that I put thousands upon thousands of rounds through over 30+ years and love to death. But there's no denying the coolness of the 190 design! Just flawed materials or manufacturing kept me from having one. :(

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Mossberg model 190 three shot bolt action with adjustable screw choke. It does not have collector value in my opinion, but I am excited to have it.
Enjoy it lean about it. And if you want to spend some quality time with it take the time to refinish it right.
Quick research say you did good market is some where between 100-200..
But with older weapons like that it is not about the cash it is about what it is.
Page down to 190 parts for it still available
http://www.havlinsales.com/bolt.htm

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I indirectly own a Marlin model 512 slugmaster that I have not seen now for a few years, I bought it new and traded it to my father in law, for another gun, then he sold it back to me, now he has it again, funny how stuff goes with family members, any way the father in law told me one time that if you get shells with shorter brass it is very difficult to put the second round in the magazine.

So I went to the store to day and bought two boxes of 16 gauge shells. Some mid grade and some high grade pheasant shot.

When you load the two round magazine the shorter brass shells are very difficult to slide the second round in because the retainer lip on the magazine is slightly longer than the brass. So when you slide the second shell in the shoulder slides along the plastic until it comes in contact with the ridge from the brass, and son of a bitch if it is not hard to get that secnd shell to jump that little brass ridge.

Just some little tid bit for those of you with magazine feed shot guns.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It depends on the guns and their original/antique value. And whether there worth the investment if the original/antique value isn't an issue. Beat up guns can be made real nice with a new finish.

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
My 16 ga bolt action is an H&R Model 120 Game Gun made in 1940. I used CLP applied with an old toothbrush om the metal, and some Johnsons paste wax (for furniture) on the stock.
There is a group of old Mossberg enthusiasts out there. I personally have several Mossbergs, two 22 rimfire rifles and two bolt action Shotguns - a 20 ga and a .410.
Havlins Sales as noted above ^ also has a Mossberg Collectors Club besides parts. And the best place I have found on the web for Mossberg small bores and shotguns is Mossberg 22 LR Firearms Information Unofficial Small-bore Page Damguy They have a lot of info, plus models and specs plus a message board. You might want to ask on the message board if your shotgun has any collector value before you do any refinishing. Of course, it's your gun to do with as you wish.
Is it a Model 190 or is there a letter after the model number? Model 190 made 1950-55; 190A 1955-56; 190D 1955-58; 190K 1956-63 (various submodels, -A, -B, -C)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just went and checked, no letter designation.

I racked it a few times really fast just to run the bolt,

Man she's a sweet gun.

Oh by the way,

I bought this gun at the auction last week Saturday, a fun note, two weeks ago me and the wife went to a different estate auction, there was a brother to the one I have now, It sold for 115 dollars, that is what got me interested when I seen the flyer for the second auction sale I thought hell, I will go look to see if it goes as cheap, and sure enough 80 dollars I felt giddy on the way home.

·
Administrator
15,444 Posts
I just went and checked, no letter designation.

I racked it a few times really fast just to run the bolt,

Man she's a sweet gun.

Oh by the way,

I bought this gun at the auction last week Saturday, a fun note, two weeks ago me and the wife went to a different estate auction, there was a brother to the one I have now, It sold for 115 dollars, that is what got me interested when I seen the flyer for the second auction sale I thought hell, I will go look to see if it goes as cheap, and sure enough 80 dollars I felt giddy on the way home.
Careful! Once you get Old Gun Fever you will never look at synthetic and alloy firearms quite the same way anymore.;-) Not that there's anything wrong with them, but face it, a Glock has all the charm and charisma of a black rubber doorstop.
I've got guns that date back to 1917.:mrgreen:
My 20 ga Mossberg bolt action was made in 1940.:smile:

Congratulations on your find!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
help with naming her

I went down in the woods with the old girl this afternoon, I think we have something special her and I. I have a few different fire arms:razz:

Not all of them have a name though:-?

The semi auto 10 gauge is affectionately know as the meet saw.

My 22-250 is "zippy".

Sig M-400 is Charlene.

My Remington 870 SP thumb hole stock laminant with cantilever scope mount deer slug gun is "Betty Balue" as in the scene in the movie Caddy Shack

My 700 R-5 is "eye spy", as I spy with my little eye a ground hog eating my soybeans whom deserves to die.

So I was trying to come up with a name for an old bolt action 16 gauge, and I came up with Pumpkin. Because of the C-Lect Choke on the end of the barrel is refered to as a pumpkin in a couple of forums I have read about the model 190

What do you think

·
Registered
855 Posts
Careful! Once you get Old Gun Fever you will never look at synthetic and alloy firearms quite the same way anymore.;-) Not that there's anything wrong with them, but face it, a Glock has all the charm and charisma of a black rubber doorstop.
I've got guns that date back to 1917.:mrgreen:
My 20 ga Mossberg bolt action was made in 1940.:smile:

Congratulations on your find!
Agreed, plastic has no soul. I'm not saying it's not useful or that I wouldn't own a plastic gun, truth be told I'm considering either an LCP or S&W Bodyguard as we speak due to the weight savings. I'm just saying that a black rifle would never replace my Marlin 336 or Garand (or even my Mini-14 for that matter), guess I'm just old fashioned. I won't get rid of my S&W 36 for the new pocket pistol either, there's just something about blued steel that draws me to it.

-Infidel

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.