Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Ball book and it doesn't say about just plain beans. So, can I pressure can dry, unsoaked beans? If so, what is your process?

If I can't do dry, can I just soak them overnight and then can? (This post sure has a lot of cans and can'ts.)

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Mostly I just put dry beans in thick plastic juice bottles which has worked fine for me. Another option is vacsealing in mason jars.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do store uncooked ones in mason jars (25# of black beans takes 15 quart jars, by the way) and that works great but I want some cooked and ready to use.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I like this thread. Unfortunately, while my mind says I can contribute something useful to it, I can't. I don't know beans about beans. (Two cans and two beans in two sentences) Seriously though, my wife is the expert in this area and she is busy giving the kids a bath or I would ask her.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
You can can beans but not dry. Soak them and do all the normal preparations and then cook them in your pressure caner. If you cook them first and then pressure can you will have soup and not beans.
I use a little salt when caning them but leave the other flavorings for when I prepare them for a meal. That way you can have chilli or baked beans from the same jar or you can make some bean with bacon soup - you know, if you like bacon. ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
Pack dry beans in mason jars or aluminized Mylar bags, use an oxygen absorber or nitrogen purge. Like all foods, store in a temperature controlled dark place.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Don't hydrate beans & just can them. They are still raw. Pressure can them.

I have a bunch of dry beans stored. On the other hand have a good variety of pork & beans stored. Pork shoulder with limas. Diced ham slices to a mix of great northern & limas. And my favorite which is thick sliced bacon added to a mix of pintos & great northern with brown sugar & a mix of ketchup & BBQ sauce added.

Short term SHTF fuel or power for cooking could be an issue as well as fresh water. So being able to just heat up some beans works for me. Long term, might have to be chopping firewood.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
One thing those solar ovens are good at is warming canned food for a meal. Since your canned goods are already cooked all you need is to warm them up and add whatever flavor you want.

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a bunch of dry beans stored. On the other hand have a good variety of pork & beans stored. Pork shoulder with limas. Diced ham slices to a mix of great northern & limas. And my favorite which is thick sliced bacon added to a mix of pintos & great northern with brown sugar & a mix of ketchup & BBQ sauce added.
I think I just drooled all over myself.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Pork & beans just go together. Any pork & any variety of beans. Want to extend the pork & beans? Put them on rice. Another option is homemade bread with beans ontop. I've even done pork & beans as a pot pie.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
There is an endless variety of pork & beans & ways to serve them that would take some time before getting bored eating it.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
Have to eat alot of pork & beans before you can afford hamburger. LOL

Can always find dry beans. Its having them on hand as well as the mason jars when you find something like smoked ham or pork shoulder on sale. BTW, I've even fried up milk pork sausage, broke it up, & used in pork & beans.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
As an experiment, I reconstituted potato flakes. Put pork & beans is a cassorole dish & covered the top with potato then baked. Should have done the oven alittle hotter but my point is pork & beans goes with potato as well as rice.

I'm guessing you could cook up some elbow macoroni & add pork & beans over the top & it would be fine also.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
I don't know how many versions of pork & beans I have put up. Maybe five varieties. Atleast 30 quart jars put up. That's alot of meals. Not sure what it does to the meat, but I like searing the meat before adding it to the beans. And unlike commercial canned beans, don't have to dig threw all the beans to find that one small piece of meat.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts