Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel Toy

Had the opportunity to go to the range, today, so the wife, son and I packed up some irons and trotted over to Enterprise. Our preferred range in Daleville had no ammo and the one in Enterprise has "range ammo" from Atlanta Arms and Ammo. It was good enough, especially since they had plenty of it.

The Judge is always a range favorite. I sort of say that tongue in cheek, as the serious report and smoke from the .45 Colt rounds always draw attention. The other shooters are always impressed when the see it is my wife handling the hawg leg and with pretty consistent hits. Every once in a while she'll let one squirrel off toward the seven ring, but usually well within the 8 ring.
We are shooting at a distance of 20 feet.

Next, the son and the 1911AR. He said he didn't like the trigger on the 24/7 and wanted to trade it for my 1911AR. What the heck. I always say you oughta just get good at whatever you got, so I suppose I'll have to lead by example. He doesn't get it until he is familiar and proficient. First six rounds were rapid fired. Slap to back of head followed by serious threat of pistol whipping slowed the process down, and Junior consistently put the rounds inside the nine ring.

My turn.

Fired a mag through the HiPoint at son's target. I hit the target. Son fussed about me speed shooting when not letting him. Another threat of ruining a set of pistol grips on his head quieted him.

Next, the 709. This was the main reason for going, as I just recently obtained this weapon. Figured it would be a better summertime concealed weapon than the little PT 738, .380. Five mags through it, the first mag inside the 7 ring, and things got worse with each mag. Not the gun's fault, my far-sight problems are bugging me and my eyes were getting more tired with each mag.

Dear Ol' Dad steps out of way and lets wife and son do more shooting. Son steps up to shoot more through the 1911. Dear Ol' Dad thinks it is a good idea to give son some firing-under-duress training, as pinging son in back of head with spent brass didn't stress my eyes. Son felt conflicted. He figured blood-letting was in order, but I don't earn any college money for him if I can't work and the life insurance goes to wife and not him. I grew board board with son and decided to play hacky-sack with the brass, instead.

Wife stepped up to blast away with the Judge, once again. Crowd arrives once again to watch my polite little housewife mutter Dirty Harry quotes while slinging hot lead. Ever tried to play spent shell hacky-sack while gawkers are crowding?

When the smoke cleared from the .45 Colt Cowboy Killers, my eyes felt better and I wanted to step up to the plate with the 24/7. This is the first time I can remember shooting it, and I can't wait to see what Junior's issue with it is. Junior threatens to bounce shells off of my head as I shoot. I remind him that it is second nature to a former Donut-Eater to pistol-whip obstreperous citizens, and I will use the HiPoint as a throw-down gun and will get away with popping him if he isn't careful. Dad gets to shoot in peace.

The first three shots with the 24/7 are touching each other in the bulls-eye. Not what I would call pin wheels by any means, but this is a pistol and not a rifle, so I am pretty happy. Son claims I am just pretty lucky. I put three more rounds down range at a quicker pace and the group spread out into the nine ring. I hear a grunt from behind as son displays his disapproval of me showing how he simply can't shoot the 24/7. The last six rounds are fired so quickly that ATF would have been asking to see my 200 buck auto-privilege stamp had they been there. Complaints of hypocrisy was voiced only to be met by the stated fact that it was my card that bought the bullets and not his.

What did I learn from the trip to the range, today?

-Son can have the 1911AR, as he proved competency with it.

-I'm hiding behind wife if someone breaks into house. It's easier to clean the Judge than it is to clean the autos.

-The 709 Slim isn't a bad weapon, but I am going to do as Mingaa suggested and get the Advantage Tactical sights put on it, as my eyes seem to tire pretty quickly, nowadays.

-Hands down, the 24/7 .45ACP is my favorite lead-slanger, and will be getting a leather holster just as soon as I can get it in the hands of my work partner/leather holster maker friend.

All in all, it was a pretty good way to spend a rainy Friday, I'd say.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Nice.

The Judge/CowboyKiller is a very handy weapon for across the room distances - people don't know - if the barrel wasn't rifled, you would have to register it as a sawed-off shotgun....

The family that shoots together kicks bad guys a$$es together....

·
Registered
257 Posts
What is it my dad tells me about the Judge, "When killing a man just isn't enough, and you need to blow his heart out his back" lol Something like that, at least. I don't think I have the guts to shoot something like that yet! But shooting as a family can be, and is, a great way to have some fun and be prepared!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Range days are both fun and a confidence builder.
We have had two this month one planned one not.
For us the range is out back or over at another house near by out back. Our land our rules.

Reactions: Denton
1 - 5 of 5 Posts