Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know for sure but I have had a bunch stored in a cool, dry, dark place for a few years and when I lasted checked them out they seemed ok.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
For me the perfect SHTF food is Kraft noodles and cheese . I don't think you can store enough. I take them out of the box and vacuum pack them with the cheese package or use a mylar bags and oxygen absorbers.
Just cook and add a can of tuna (the cans in oil have a longer storage life) and you have a complete meal.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
For me the perfect SHTF food is Kraft noodles and cheese . I don't think you can store enough. I take them out of the box and vacuum pack them with the cheese package or use a mylar bags and oxygen absorbers.
Just cook and add a can of tuna (the cans in oil have a longer storage life) and you have a complete meal.
As much as I like Rammen noddles I have to agree with above statement.

Reactions: rickkyw1720pf

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
they will go stale on you. They also (all dry noodles) have a wax on them that will cause cancer. Not an ideal survival food.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The noodles also have a little bit of oil in them (as part of the manufacturing process to bind the ingredients)... and I've had some that start to taste rancid. I've also had the seasoning packages turn hard and taste like crap. That being said... it could have been a bad batch... or stored incorrectly... or... they could have been zapped by stray radiation from space... just kidding... but who knows why they went bad? The point being... they will last for a while... and ... that may be long enough for your needs. You can always ask around and see if any friends have some old packages still sitting around in the back of their pantry and try them out. Or... start storing them and rotating them out as things stay normal. They should last a few years... and freshly rotated food is always a good idea. I doubt anyone is trying to store 30 years worth of Ramen... so a few years of edible (relatively speaking) ramen will probably do for you. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Having had a quad and a single to repair the quad four years later, I try to keep the consumption of salt down to a minimum. I've been off of salt for so long now, most packaged and/or processed foods taste briny.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts