Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How high should these be? I want it to be large enough to be able to hit the ground, but I don't want it to be too huge where I cannot get in it and start planting. I figure about 2 foot would be good enough. Also, I have heard that its not a good idea to use railroad ties because of all the chemicals on it, but I see people doing this all the time. What would be good alternative materials?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have some old railroad ties that look like they have been weathered and the creosote is gone. I am going to try them for raised beds this year. Also, old tires make good beds. My neighbor uses the big plastic storage containers in her garden, and she always has a nice garden.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have built several - min I would advise - 18inches. Best would be 24 inches though. Pallets are a great source of cheap wood, and most people give these away on craigslist.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I have several raised garden beds. Mine are made by stacking cinder bricks 2-3 layers high and I usually make them 3 bricks wide on the ends so I can be on either side of the bed and still comfortably reach the middle to plant or pick produce. Additionally you can put PVC Pipe in the holes on one side and bend them cover to the other side then cover with plastic sheeting and you have a cold frame to extend you growing season. The added benefit to building beds this way is that I didnt use mortor to cement them together so they are quick and easy to disassemble or lengthen or shorten as needed. Something else I have done is fill the holes with dirt and then grow flowers to attract bees to pollinate my garden and I have also grown strawberries in them as well. This allows me to grow a gang of stuff in a small area. This system works great for me.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Not handy but I am sure I can scrounge one up in the next day or so off my external hard drive. I have several of last years set up on it. I have since relocated that raised bed to another location, increased its size and added one more thats slightly smaller else where on my lot.

Thats the beauty of the system. Its very portable in a sense and lends itself to being expanded. Its a very durable set up as there is nothing to deteriorate or rot. It leaches no harmful chemicals into the soil like wood often times does. It looks pretty neat and doesnt have that ghetto look to it that many raised beds often have. The bricks are 1.47 each here locally and if I buy them at Lowes I get 10% off thanks to my retired military ID. A lot of the times you can find the bricks for free salvage too. If you plant anything in the holes of the bricks and you have a warm climate like we do here in Texas you will need to at least water this portion of your raised bed DAILY to keep the plants hydrated. The items planted in the bed will usually go for a few days between waterings.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Avoid rail road ties they are never safe 100%

Reactions: oswegoscott

·
Registered
21,643 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Im thinking of a little garden in the corner of the yard...any suggestions?
First how much sun does this area get? What growing Zone are you in? What veggies do you like to eat?

When I did my first serious garden about 3 years back and had minimal room, I looked at what I could grow the most of, that could grow and produce over a long period of time and what hit me the hardest on my grocery bill each week. Thats what I started growing first and I have kind of expanded from there to include items that will produce through out the season that could be easily stored for later use through dehydrating. For me I eat a lot of salads and asian food dishes. So I went with Tomatoes, Bell Pepper, Onions, Zucchini, Egg Plant and Spinach. These were all things that were pricey or didnt keep well long term fresh that I ate near daily.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for posting those pictures, Lunatic. I just got a bunch of freebie cinder blocks and my BIL built one for me. It's fairly tall, then put a couple of old containers in and a piece of plywood so it wouldn't be 3 feet deep. I have a seriously screwed up knee and some back problems so I can't get on the ground or squat down. By getting this higher up I can stand up and garden. I can't wait.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts