Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking of getting a spare washer for outside and using rainwater to supply it.

I've been thinking of getting an HE model to use less water. Reason for outside is because my mobile home sits higher then a regular house, and I'd have to have the tanks stacked fairly high for enough pressure. That, and the washer and dryer inside are my first washer and dryer set. I've had them awhile, and don't want the outside elements to ruin them. Figured a cheap craigslist washer, if it got ruined, no biggie.

Anyone done this? Was there enough pressure with just gravity feed?

Or does the washer need an "x" amount of pressure to fill the tub?

I am hoping to use biodegradable soap and use the water to water the front yard roses, so the water won't be going on anything edible (maybe in a pinch I'll eat the roses ;) )

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
I think you will be fine as long as the water is stored higher then the washing machine. Maybe slow to load with water though. My concern would be not enough pressure for a rinse cycle though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If your worried about pressure, plumb a pump inline between the tank and the washer. There should be an electric valve that opens and closes for the water to fill the tank. Use a relay and tie it into the valve circuit. So that when the valve opens the pump energizes. You could even put a manual switch and T fittings on the outlet of the pump so you could attach a garden hose.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have those. Even an improvised wringer. But I have to still look decent in ok clothes to still blend in for now. Once SHTF, then it'll all be by hand. Still gotta live "like the average" person lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts