Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next step. Communications and news and weather updates. I've been giving serious thought to getting an "emergency radio" to keep in the RV. Did some searching on line and found quite a few in the $30-100 range. While the wife was doing her VA volunteer job this morning I hit Wally World and Radio Shack to look at locally available Emergency radios. The only ones I could find were by Eaton. One at $49.95 WW and two Eatons at RS. The clerk at RS said one of the two he had was a newer version of the $49.95 one with better speaker and crank, but the new and improved Eaton was $72.95. Reminds me of the ads for the new and improved T-Paper. I want a multi power sourced variety, to include solar. Also, the subject of a CB in the RV came up, is it worth it as a method of communication out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
While I can't find the exact model I purchased (I can look up the model number when I get home), this one is a lot like it:

FRYS.com | 4KAMM

It's a crank-up radio that's also rechargeable battery powered if you want (no solar though), has an emergency light, cell phone charger and (I think) siren...and I think it was less than $30.

CB's definitely have their place and benefits (I've got one in the Jeep), but I think in an emergency situation the channels will be all clogged up. I guess it depends on the current usage of those bands in your area. Out here, there's lots of offroaders, and they use the CB pretty frequently anyway. I imagine that if the SHTF, the CB may very well be useless.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts