Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When SHTF and i become mobile what type of radio is good for a handheld on the go radio .. and is there like a certain channel that people usually contact on. or a news station?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The thing to remember about hand held radios. The will only product about 5w of RF. Thats enough to get you about 15 maybe 20 miles coverage. You can get a Tech HAM licenses and use 2 and 6 meter and some 10 meter bands that will get you out a few hundred miles.

Those hand held radios are designed to communicate with a repeater, if you truly believe that the shit is going to hit a fan and society is going to fall repeaters will go down with the cell networks. So i'd stay away from those. A good 2 meter radio will run you around $200 and its about the size of a cigar box but will need a 12v power source.

There are "prepper" radio nets where people get on once a week or month and talk. There are published unofficial frequencies and times they meet. Get involved in your local HAM club. Check out Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs

·
Registered
11 Posts
I carry 2 in my BOB : an AM/FM radio that is crank and solar-powered [Eton] and an AM/FM/Shortwave battery-powered radio [Grundig] : purchased both online for about $100. total : they both work swell for my needs.

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Inceptor, is it a good product or am i better off investing in a expensive one?

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
Inceptor, is it a good product or am i better off investing in a expensive one?
It depends on what you want. This is an inexpensive way to get into handhelds. It may not make a difference to you but this radio is ready to accept interops. That is the gov 1st responder frequencies. I have a buddy in a nursing home. I bought him one that was similar so he could get with the ham community in his area. We got our tickets about the same time and both have been involved in ham for a lot of years.

The avg handheld can run into a lot of money. I have 3 handhelds right now and rarely use them because of the coverage. I have a number of mobile units too that do have decent coverage and use one of them as my base unit.

If your goal is to get into entry level ham, this would be the way to start. It works fine and doesn't cost a lot of money. Keep in mind that the max output for a handheld is 5w. But if your intention is for close in communications in an emergency, this will do the job. I bought mine for 2 reasons, the cost and the capabilities. I am not sorry I got mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for the info ... I need some kind of radio to get into this HAM world i think i will purchase.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am a Ham radio person.... I have that radio I bought it for fun.... it is a ok radio and its better then not having one, however it is a PAIN to program, unless you use the software that is sold separately, it is worth spending more money and getting a better radio.......KB3ZTX

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anyone even consider citizens band?

I have a scanner that can pick up HAM, but I have been thinking of comms in terms of making sure the prepper group stays connected. The little handheld CBs are find for that within a mile or so.

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
Does anyone even consider citizens band?

I have a scanner that can pick up HAM, but I have been thinking of comms in terms of making sure the prepper group stays connected. The little handheld CBs are find for that within a mile or so.
Long, long ago I was into CB for traveling mostly. My wife got so mad at me because of the crap on the air. She said if I put one in a vehicle again, she would divorce me. I got my ham ticket not long after that. I still have a new cobra in the box somewhere but it hasn't seen the light of day in a long time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts