Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I bleave that when the dust starts to settle after TSHTF and most of the bad guys got what they had coming
that trading will start to happen. People will get to know each others names and once again they will trust
each other just like they did the last time there was a governmental reset. My question is about feminine products
But I'm talking about conformist items like good smelling shampoo stuff for your hair nail polish You know the stuff we men love to make fun of but also love to see you wear it. After 90% women have had to do without some of this stuff do you think it will carry a good value for trading? And any suggestions? Lipstick?

If times were tough post SHTF and I found a sweet smelling bottle of shampoo that I knew would make my wife happy and in a better mood with some trading that shampoo would come home with me. --and some homemade wine-

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You'd probably do a more brisk trade in practical items, but I imagine once things settled down again, frou frou things would probably be well received. I think basic hygiene items, including shampoo, would be sought after, but also think about things like bolts of high quality fabric, needles, thread, knitting and crochet supplies, spinning items, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Now I'm not a woman of course, but I think if you wanted to stock up on sweet smelling bar soap, there'd be no problem trading with it. Women are always going to need it and men and women both don't like a smelly woman. Where as we men can just go, "Eh, I'm a man baby, and I smell like one." We'll bath with blood and dirt. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am more of a tomboy, but I do know that as of right now, I am stocking up on coconut oil to use in my survival hygiene staple- BECAUSE one of the most important (and most overlooked) parts of survival is keeping your sanity, and I know that when I am stressed out, smelling bad WILL NOT help! I say that good smelling things will be a huge thing to keep us "human".

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
The basic cleanliness items are (or should be) part of every kit. I don't use perfumed soaps - I use liquid dish detergent. It is made to clean oil and dirt quickly and rinse off easily. I use it for body wash and shampoo and I have for decades. It is biodegradable, has no added scent (unless you buy the scented variety), and it is disinfectant. You can even kill lice with it in strong enough solutions.

It stores easily and for extended periods of time as long as it is unopened and not diluted.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Do the new world a favor and let the superficial items fade away that make billions while convincing young women that they're only worth as much as they look (according to a particular pattern, misleading all kinds of people into thinking they're not as beautiful as they really are).

Trade in food, trade in skills, trade in necessities and most of all we need a few people to learn how to make arrows because eventually the ammunition will run out. :) Learn how to blacksmith!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Absolutely, skills are much more important... I just think that it will help. Humans need down time, relaxation (which will be few, far and in between) and aromatherapy in any way is beneficial. Not saying that it is essential, I just know that to me, I will want to have some, especially if/when things go to shit..

I am not superficial by any means, either.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Just remember - those fragrances make it easier for men to track you...... ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dont plan on spraying coconut from my BUM Paul!! lol

Kidding! but in the event of SHTF, I most likely will not be busting out the coconut smells until I am good and safe.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hi,
I bleave that when the dust starts to settle after TSHTF and most of the bad guys got what they had coming
that trading will start to happen. People will get to know each others names and once again they will trust
each other just like they did the last time there was a governmental reset. My question is about feminine products
But I'm talking about conformist items like good smelling shampoo stuff for your hair nail polish You know the stuff we men love to make fun of but also love to see you wear it. After 90% women have had to do without some of this stuff do you think it will carry a good value for trading? And any suggestions? Lipstick?

If times were tough post SHTF and I found a sweet smelling bottle of shampoo that I knew would make my wife happy and in a better mood with some trading that shampoo would come home with me. --and some homemade wine-
I personally store a bunch of stuff like this. simple bar soap, shampoo conditioners, and house hold cleaners to. luxury items that just make sense to me are deoderant for all just because it make us feel more human not to stink.
Also lots of lotions and thick creams. I think these are important because our skin is our biggest defense against infection. dry cracked skin is not only uncomfortable but can lead to skin infections like cellulitis which if not treated could potentially kill. yes even a skin infection can kill. I see it all the time even when we have all the knowledge and medication we do now. a skin infection will continue to get worse and make open sores, which are even bigger portals of infection entering our sysytem and possibly causing sepsis that will kill if you are without medical assistance.
got to protect ourselves in any way we can right?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Absolutely, skills are much more important... I just think that it will help. Humans need down time, relaxation (which will be few, far and in between) and aromatherapy in any way is beneficial.
Hippie. :D

In all seriousness, I have to agree (with the hippie). I find aromatherapy very relaxing; the smell of the fire, especially when the smoke works its way in to your clothes, and definitely the smell of bacon hanging over the coals... makes me want to go outside and build a fire right now just thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The basic cleanliness items are (or should be) part of every kit. I don't use perfumed soaps - I use liquid dish detergent. It is made to clean oil and dirt quickly and rinse off easily. I use it for body wash and shampoo and I have for decades. It is biodegradable, has no added scent (unless you buy the scented variety), and it is disinfectant. You can even kill lice with it in strong enough solutions.

It stores easily and for extended periods of time as long as it is unopened and not diluted.
Do you dilute it for use as a shampoo? I've known for years that shampoo and dish soap, along with the trendy "body washes" are eseentially, chemical clones, but everytime I have tried to use dish soap for shampoo it has reulted in some serious danfruff/dry scalp issues.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I agree that we should stock "comfort" items. I have stocked razors, shaving cream, toothpaste etc. I do have a lot of bar soap. But if SHTF for an extended period, and I ran out of soap, I have a yucca tree that can be soap. You take the leaf, break the outer layer between 2 rocks, dunk it in water, and work with it. It suds up, and the leaf acts like a scrubber. I've tried it on my hands only, and its works ok. It smells "green" and earthy, but isn't an all too bad smell. Better then BO lol. It should still allow you to blend in with other people post SHTF. If everyone is smelling like butt, and you smell like berries, someone will notice. Better to smell neutral. A little stinky, but not squeaky clean :)

But honestly. As long as I'm at home, I'll try to stay clean. If I'm out and about (unlikely unless I HAVE to, say in a bread line to get my half a slice to blend in) I probably won't clean up for a couple days or so before. My only concern is of I take a bath, and some unexpected visitor comes by. If I'm clean smelling, they'll know I have a way to clean up. Wether it's water, soap, deodorant.

I

·
Registered
468 Posts
I can't believe I didn't really think about this before. That's an amazing concept! Not just the soap and shampoo basics that are being mentioned, but the would-be luxury items like nail polish and perfume the OP mentioned.

Women have power when they choose to embrace it and it comes from femininity, which can be enhanced with such products, regardless of the reason we've come to accept.

I'd wager that a woman who had her eyes on a particular person, or just wanted to reconnect with her old world ways would 'pay' dearly for a fluffer (foo foo product).

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Do you dilute it for use as a shampoo? I've known for years that shampoo and dish soap, along with the trendy "body washes" are eseentially, chemical clones, but everytime I have tried to use dish soap for shampoo it has reulted in some serious danfruff/dry scalp issues.
I don't dilute it at all. It takes very little - less than with shampoo. If you use it for a couple of months the dry scalp will disappear. Your body learns to produce the oils it is supposed to naturally if you don't use the shampoos and conditioners that have oil in them. I always thought it was silly to wash your hair to get the oil out of it and then oil it to make it look "healthy".

Now I am not a dermatologist and I imagine there are folks that would be sensitive to the detergents but if you are you could add some glycerine from the drugstore to the dish soap and then balance the PH using baking soda or vinegar as needed. If your skin is healthy you should be fine with it as it comes out of the bottle.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I prep comfort items and enough for trade after wards. dollar store is epic for this type of stuff. I do prep my custom Jocelyn joseph cosmetics for myself, well because I can... nail polish, blush, lip stick. oil of olay.... dollar store has blush and eyeshadow. wouldn't be bad to buy a bit of that for bartering. wimmin types may not have 2 pennies to rub together but they will be sporting mary kay all day long. I have purchased enough of a bit of everything, for wimmin types and men, hand tools. yes, I brought enough for the class. it is my plan to be a merchant as the dust settles.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Shotlady, as always you amaze me with your forethought. I just want you to get out of LA and California before anything goes down!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I have always been more of a Tomboy. I don't get my nails done, most of the time they are dirty from digging in my garden and from digging for worms to put on the end of my line.
For the past 2 years I have gotten a job where I work in the public and I must say that I have wore makeup everyday and fixed my hair everyday. Oh except for my days off when I don't have to go anywhere I just give it a break. So if SHTF was to happen it wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't seek out makeup and pretty items, I do wonder how those females would handle not having a manicure, pedicure, or even their weekly massage would effect them. I have not even went to a hair dresser in 5 years. I cut my own hair, people even comment "How do you cut the back of your hair" I say very carefully.. If it isn't perfect, Oh well, I can't see it.. LOL
So in all honesty, as long as I have dirt to dig in and grow my garden and a pole to fish, I'm happy.. The fancy things in life are a luxury that I can actually live without. That is exactly what it is, a luxury, why waste my money on that when I can purchase rice and beans for survival. That is more important then my nails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make Your Own Natural Deodorant
Written by Jonathan Dick

Making your own deodorant is a great way to save money and become more self-sufficient. Instead of paying a couple dollars for a stick of deodorant at the store, you can spend pennies and make your own at home that works just as well.

Follow the directions below for recipes on homemade deodorant in a stick or spray bottle. Hopefully, they keep you fresh and smelling clean!

Homemade Deodorant Recipe

You'll need:
• 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
• 1/2 Cup Baking Soda
How to make your own deodorant• 1 ½ Tbl Beeswax Pellets
• 1/2 Cup Cornstarch
• A Double Boiler
• Empty Deodorant Tube

- How to Make Your Own Toothpaste -

Directions:
1. Add coconut oil and beeswax pellets into a small saucepan
2. Slowly melt the contents over very low heat.
3. While the contents are slowly melting, be sure that your old deodorant tube is empty and washed out.
3. Once the contents are melted, remove from heat and add baking soda and corn starch. Mix with spoon until smooth and creamy.
4. Add essential oils or scents as desired at this point and mix well.
5. Pour the mixture into the old deodorant tube and allow to settle and solidify.

No Heat Required Homemade Deodorant Recipe

You'll need:
• 6 Tbl Coconut Oil
• 1/4 Cup Baking Soda
• 1/4 Cup Cornstarch
• Glass Jar

Directions:
1. Mix the baking soda and cornstarch together in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
2. Mash in coconut oil with a fork until it's mixed well.
3. Add oils or scents as desired.
4. Store in a small glass jar or old deodorant tube if you prefer.

- 8 Interesting Uses for Mason Jars -

Spray-On Deodorant Recipe

You'll need:
• 1/2 cup Witch Hazel
• 1/4 cup Aloe Vera Gel
• 1/4 tsp Baking Soda

Directions:
1. Add all contents into a spray bottle and shake well before use.

Tips for Homemade Deodorant Use

Give it a few days. You've probably been using chemically-packed deodorants for years. Give it a few days for your body to adjust to the less-harsh homemade deodorant.

If it's too itchy? If you have very sensitive skin, you may notice that the homemade deodorant is itchy at times. If that's the case, ease up on the baking soda in your recipes. Instead, add a little more cornstarch to the equation. By adding less baking soda, the deodorant will become less cakey and won't be as itchy.

What advice do you have? Comment below to give us your advice and how homemade deodorants have been for you.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts