Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the inexpensive steel cased 223 tulammo ($5.68 for a 20 round box) is hard on an AR
I also have heard that the steel is very soft steel and there is no damage to the ar at all and no reason not
to use it for plunking. Has anyone ran a fair amount of this ammo through there AR?

I understand that it has a coating of some sort on the casing that can cause some "stickiness" and it may
be advisable to clean your gun more often than normal -- Is this true?

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I don't run steel cased ammo. Steel rubbing on steel will cause more wear than brass rubbing on steel, no matter what people say. The extractor in particular will wear a lot faster.

On the other hand, I have seen studies that indicate that the money saved is more than enough to buy new parts when they wear out and still leave you ahead of the game. I do believe this is true, but cost isn't why I avoid steel cased ammo.

My ammo of choice for my 5.56mm these days is NATO spec 62 gr "Green tip" M-855. I don't train with cheap, inaccurate garbage ammo, I train with the ammo I intend to use. I never understood the philosophy of practicing with one ammo and then switching to the "good" ammo when your life depends on it. I can see using cheap ammo to get a new shooter started or during weapon break-in, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, I suspect this is why DHS is buying so many hollow points. The press is making a big deal out of the fact that they could buy cheaper ammo to practice with, but professionals train with their service ammo.

Reactions: paraquack

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The wear aside, I shoot a lot of steel 5.56 due to cost now. Tula is one of the dirtiest and I've seen problems with it jamming, but it's useable if you must. I prefer Golden Bear, but it's hard to get these days.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
My ammo of choice for my 5.56mm these days is NATO spec 62 gr "Green tip" M-855. I don't train with cheap, inaccurate garbage ammo, I train with the ammo I intend to use. I never understood the philosophy of practicing with one ammo and then switching to the "good" ammo when your life depends on it. I can see using cheap ammo to get a new shooter started or during weapon break-in, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned.
There are times when I believe it's definitely justified. I carry Hornady's Critical Duty loaded in my sidearm and in my spare mags, but I sure as hell won't go out to our range and fire a couple hundred rounds of that downrange. That would put me in the poor house, so I run Federal through it more than anything else. Federal doesn't make .40 in 175 grain, so I shoot slightly heavier at 180 grains. It's close enough that it will be the smallest factor in determining my shot placement should I find myself in a self defense situation. My nerves and engaging a moving target will be more important.

That's not to say I've never fired those rounds. I just can't afford to fire them as much as I put downrange when I'm training. When it comes to 5.56 it's a lot easier to train with what's being run through the gun on any given day, given that there's not a whole of point in saving 2 cents a round buying cheap .223 when the good 5.56 is sitting right next to it for practically the same price. We buy that in bulk as much as possible to save those extra pennies in a different way.

To answer the OP, I have nothing factual to offer, just personal opinion; not a big fan of how dirty it is and the fact that you can't reload it, but it won't destroy your gun any day soon if ever.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I shoot quite a bit of the silver bear 55gr Sp, zinc coated cases don't "stick" and I have found it to be more accurate than the M855, at least in my rifle. The only problem with the Silver bear ammo is you need to keep it in a dry environment because the zinc plating if exposed to moisture or high humidity gets furry with corrosion pretty quick.

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's Honestly is hit and miss, some AR's are more picky than others. Mine will shoot brass all day long with no issues, I can not go through 2 mags of Steel without one getting stuck in the chamber.....

Brass only for me, Now AK's and steel are a match made in heaven.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I shoot the dawg piss out of tula ammo steel cased ammo I bought for 4.97 a box at walmart before the ammo shortage. I think it cost 5.29 now. My AR ate it up just fine. Its a bit hard on the extractor and its dirtier ammo , no doubt about that but it works just fine. Now would I want to use this stuff in combat? Not no but hell no! It is great for running drills at the range and thats what I use it for. Your not likely going to win any 1000 yard matches with it as the quality control aint exactly its strong point. The issue regarding ammo sticking in the chamber is due to the laquer coating that was often found on cheap surplus import ammo when you shoot long strings of fire that over heat the chamber causing the laquer to melt and cases to sometimes stick in the chamber.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
The only misfires I have witnessed with modern AR-15 is the use of steel cased ammo and/or cheap magazines. Steel cased ammo is almost required in rifles with fluted chambers because surplus ammo is drying up and many ammo companies’ brass cases are too thin. I use steel case exclusively in my SKS’s and AK’s without a problem. I have had issues with steel cased pistol ammo and have had extractors develop burs that cause failure to extract in my 1911s. I prefer brass but I will use steel case if my budget or availability is an issue. I always clean my weapons after EVERY use without fail so the lacquer hasn’t been an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My solution YMMV is I shoot steel cased in my SKS's and brass in my Mini Thirty. This gives me cheap trigger time with Tula and reliability and longevity with my Mini Thirty. A variant of this in 5.56 mm could work with AR's.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I bought one box of Tula for my Bushmaster AR. The 4th or 5th round jammed up my rifle so hard I had to spray bolt release down the barrel to get it to eject the spent round.

I was told later that the lacquer coating on these rounds will stick the round in the chamber ( what I experienced ). I have only fired brass cases since that day, but I would be interested to know if any one else experience this problem and found a way around it. Steel case ammo much more cost efficient for range time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts