Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to store bleach because is good for desinfecting,kill bacteria in water and good for toilets when shtf and not a lot of water to get bad smell out.but for how long can i keep bleach and for it to still be effective? I don't want to stock up on something that's gonna go bad in a few months.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My understanding of bleach is it should be part of your rotating stocks. Yes use it now as well as have some for that SHTF day. Just use the oldest and buy new when your older one runs out. You can consider Bleach good well past its sell by date by yeah I havent heard any definitive info on its halflife myself.

I dont even know what they mean by Bleach goes bad. What is in it that makes it bad. Is it a toxic thing or does it lose its potency ?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Bleach contains 5.25 % sodium hypochlorite and in liquid form weakens in a year. The best would be to buy the powder sodium hypochlorite ( shock treatment) for pool and then get a pool chlorine guage the type you put the water in and add a drop of chemical to tell the exact amount of chlorine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts