Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ball quarts 12 for $3 at the LOVE INC( In the Name of Christ) resale shop, new lids $2.19 at Sav - A - Lot.

Now I have 4 dozen quarts and nothing to put in them.

Maybe Bambi will help me figure this out:p

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Best of luck in the woods (I'm assuming Bambi is the deer you're hoping to get this year!)
You're way ahead of me on the canning. I still need a jar lifter and a couple spare pressure valves, plus the ingredients.

We used 18 tomato plants and 3 crops of green beans . I need to triple that to have enough to can. Plus propane is around $2 a gallon or it is pound, I need to look at the contract.

I'm thinking of heating the canner over some oak coals on a open fire, but I'm concerned about the wind taking the heat away.

I have a semi-unlimited supply of oak so wood is not an issue. That would be a good trial for SHTF

·
Registered
481 Posts
If my husband brought home a deer I would be the happiest preppermama ever! I love venison and make a mean stew with it. A lot of people complain about it being 'gamey' but I love it. I'll even eat the heart.

Pressure canning is definitely a good hobby for a prepper. I love the All American I got this summer. Something I've been thinking about doing is putting together a little post about how to can wild game and foraged foods. You don't see instructions for those types of foods in the standard canning books. During rough times, knowing how to safely can squirrel meat could save your life. LOL. Yumm!

As far as cooking over an open fire, temperature regulation is going to be the main concern. If things get too hot your canner could explode. If your temp dips below the minimum pressure even for a minute, you have to reprocess the whole batch. Make sure you have a safe way to move the canner higher or lower over the fire, or to remove it completely.

It may be wise to do a couple test runs with some water filled jars, just to make sure you're gonna be able to get the temp high enough for whatever you're processing and maintain that temp. That way you're not wasting food if the temp doesnt work out the first couple tries.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also bought a pair of new Stafford hand made work shoes for $2.50 yesterday, they are comfy and have a non-slip sole with grips.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If my husband brought home a deer I would be the happiest preppermama ever! I love venison and make a mean stew with it. A lot of people complain about it being 'gamey' but I love it. I'll even eat the heart.

Pressure canning is definitely a good hobby for a prepper. I love the All American I got this summer. Something I've been thinking about doing is putting together a little post about how to can wild game and foraged foods. You don't see instructions for those types of foods in the standard canning books. During rough times, knowing how to safely can squirrel meat could save your life. LOL. Yumm!

As far as cooking over an open fire, temperature regulation is going to be the main concern. If things get too hot your canner could explode. If your temp dips below the minimum pressure even for a minute, you have to reprocess the whole batch. Make sure you have a safe way to move the canner higher or lower over the fire, or to remove it completely.

It may be wise to do a couple test runs with some water filled jars, just to make sure you're gonna be able to get the temp high enough for whatever you're processing and maintain that temp. That way you're not wasting food if the temp doesnt work out the first couple tries.
I'll have to do a test run, the open fire was just a thought for SHTF.

There are dozens of tree rats around my house, they're really leary of me now, since they see me going out in the woods with bows and long guns. They don't dare chatter at me.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I also bought a pair of new Stafford hand made work shoes for $2.50 yesterday, they are comfy and have a non-slip sole with grips.
Ohh that's an awesome deal. I just went ot Walmart last week and outfitted myself for winter. As a mom, I'm always making sure DH and the kids have what they need so I tend to neglect myself. I basically needed everything. I scored pants for $3.00 a pair, insulated winter boots for $20, etc. I got myself a whole new wardrobe for less than $250 there. Gotta love Wally World!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello Preppermama! I would love if you could send a recipe or two of wild game! And definitely of how to can these!! I have yet to can my own meat as I am worried about how long it will last on the shelf. I do have a terrible worry of contaminated food, and i rarely will even eat left overs!! I know I need to get past this, but want to be assured that what meat I can will be ok to eat. I am confident in my veggie and fruit canning, but worry when it comes the meat department!!!!

THANKS!!!

PS. If anyone can give me info on eggs and storing them for long term, please send my way!!

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since the season ended here in Michigan on New Years Eve. I suspect that the deer know that and will be wandering around again in search of food since the snow is falling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts