Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what y'all think of quads as BOVs. Granted you can't take as much crap as a big ass truck, but maybe that would be good. Small vehicle that goes almost anywhere, gets good mileage, and you can get trailers for them so you can carry quit a bit of stuff to build a camp way off the beaten path. If you have a few people with a few trailers you could actually be fairly well supplied I think.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
They are loud, slow, easy targets and a bit unstable. I think everyone should have a couple. Then they can remove the engine and transmissions and fit them with pedals when there is no fuel. It will be good exercise to use them. They will be quiet, slower, easy targets that are still a bit unstable.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
:/ Not sure about "slow". My kids 4wd Grizzly 660 runs 62mph, and my Banshee has hit 78 on GPS. As far as "loud". Only with aftermarket, or modified exhaust. There's one company making a muffler system you bolt onto the stock pipe and you can't even tell if the thing is running standing next to it. Though that system is marketed to hunters... Every time we ride anywhere around woods we see deer and wild turkeys all over the place that come out to see what their hearing! Actually have almost crashed into both deer and turkeys several times! The Grizzly has a one ton winch on it, you can lock the differentials for TRUE four wheel drive, Hi and Low range, a trailer hitch I've used to pull a car on a car trailer around, a plow that can push up to 2' of snow (I know for sure! :D), and my daughter has been riding it since she was 10 because it has a fully automatic trans.

Down side... Your not exactly bullet proof sitting right out in the open like that. And a strong zombie would pull you right off there! :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking something along the grizzly line, not the Banshee. I'm also not talking about this as an Urban warfare vehicle. I dunno, maybe my idea of Bugging out is a little different than most. My idea of a BOV is more of a survivalist vehicle. I don't plan on being around people if I have to go. I also don't live in a large metropolitan area, so I'm not going to have to fight my way out of a big city. I live maybe a mile down the road from the open desert. From the open desert I'm maybe 5 miles from the Mountains. I know of places where I can see FBGs coming from miles away. That's for short term. Long term I'd need to find someplace more sustainable. I would like trout rivers and plenty of game. I like the idea of traveling through the woods far from mankind. One of those giant urban assault vehicles won't work. You'd want something small slow and nimble. A horse would work great.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Now I'm disappointed, when I saw the term "Quads" my mind automatically went to four synchronized 50 caliber machine guns on a turret that can be mounted on the back of a Duse and a half. Oh well, different toys for different boys!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I assume a quad is the same as an ATV. Keep in mind very soon after a real SHTF there will be no gasoline to be had at any price. So take what you want to where you want on the first trip. Do not expect to get there if you cannot make it on one tank of gas.

Putting excessive amounts of money into a BOV is a mistake.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Our ATV is not slow the thing will fly and unless your hard on the gas it quiet. As of a BOV We staying put it just for getting around and a lot of fun.
They are not cheap for a good one so it is something you should need for other chores or just want to have of fun.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think they can be useful. Before the apocalypse you can use them for a whole slew of different uses. Use em for fun, use em for hunting. Use em for chores, plowing snow, heck, we can even ride em on the streets around here, so use it for transportation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts