Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is in the right area but here goes.
Clearly there is a difference between water filtration and purification in the way that it cleanses the water ie. using a filter of some sort VS chemicals etc.
Is one form recommended over another or does it depend on the situation.
Also, in scouting we were taught to boil water to clean it. Sometimes we would use tablets to purify the water. Is boiling water enough?
I see a lot of talk about filtration systems and I wasn't sure if that was due to boiling water not being good enough or if people are thinking they wouldn't have time to boil water, so a portable filtration/purification system is better.

-Frank

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Boiling water is enough to keep you alive temporarily, but you're certainly not completely cleansing the water. The cleaner the source is from the start the better of course with chemicals and other contamination that could be in the water. Long term purifying it more is healther and you've got to find a way if you care about it. I think in the event of a total breakdown of the modern means good ole fashion stills to destill water will be quite popular.

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
Purification assumes you are concerned with disease. Considering the industrial and agricultural pollutants, prudence would cause one to filter the water.

Heck, I don't even drink from my city water supply until it is filtered through my ProPur.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts