Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see if there would be any interest in the Midwest for hosting a dog training class. Dogs can smell thousands of times better than humans and can be an early dector of intruders. All dogs can alert, and some can be trained to show civil aggression. Certain breeds can be trained to bite on command. I've heard some say that they would just shoot a dog, but if a dog can detect someone and alert you, there will be plenty of time to grab your own gun :) Penny for your thoughts? Be be kind as this is what I do for a living.
Thanks,

·
Registered
154 Posts
I always had male labs and still feel they are hard to beat. A Lab just has a great personality, loyal, loving,smart, and mine always were good watch dogs. Protective of children and always warned me if trespassers were around. My last one would have torn anybody apart if they laid a hand on my daughter. We now have a Scottish Terrier house dog and he is very protective of our home. While he would/could never defend or attack, he does a great job of letting us know if anyone is around. He can hear , from inside our house, if anyone is even 50 yds from from our house. Incredible hearing. He will go to the side of the house that the "walker" is on and start growling. He has done it many times. IN a SHTF scenerio, he is definatly part of the team.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If you were closer, I'd take you up on the offer.

I have 2 dogs. A pure bred german shepherd...Smart, loving, and VERY VERY protective, She barks at strangers, but shuts up when they are past the house. Otherwise, she lays in a hard to see spot, and stays hidden from outside views...

Second dog is a husky/wolf/rhodesian ridgeback mutt 6 month old puppy. She knows sit, stay, lay down, speak, high five, give kisses, and attack (kisses lol) She is a little terror though. She chews on EVERYTHING, and digs EVERYWHERE...I'm hoping she grows out of it, and learns from the shepherd how to be a protective dog. The shepherd will and HAS gotten between me and someone else, with lips curled and growling, when the other person got loud/angry and started toward me. Bad thing is, she has selective hearing, so it's a crap shoot if I can get her to stop :wink:

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Cant help you with the first part of your post.

On the second part I think that potentially they could be a real asset if well trained and disciplined. Their uncanny ability to detect someone long before you will likely detect them could put you at a huge advantage over an approaching advasary.

My last dawg, a Fawn Boxer was a dawg that fit your paragraph to a T. Took all his instructions in Japanese and followed them to the letter without fail. Never knew a dawg could be trained that well. Wouldnt accept food from anyone other than me and only then if from my hand or his dawg dish. Barked very little even when confronting something, but had a snarling set of dentures that would make a T-Rex take notice. He was an absolute pussy cat around kids though. I am saving my change these days in hopes of replacing him with a "Ledbetter" Black Mouth Mountain Cur or two even if I got to drive across two states to pick them up! BMC's have a lot of great qualities that I think would make them a great choice for the Homesteader and/or Hunter.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Just another post...

My shepherd is a gentle giant around people and kids..LOVES belly rubs...BUT:

This dog chased down this rabbit:

271056_2208139123889_4767128_n.jpg

Only to go inside and share a drink with her best friend:
378941_2851742733577_889943630_n.jpg

Training is EVERYTHING...A yappy dog will get you noticed...A quiet dog that alerts quietly, is a VALUABLE tool. Sophie the shepherd has a "tell" when she is in the house and hears someone coming to the door. and NO its not bark bark bark ;)

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
They will never get past my Chihuahua..

Actually she's very alert and although he may not tear anyone up (other than their ankles), she lets us know if there is anything going on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My husband and I have 4 dogs...all of which are very vigilant as to what goes on around the property. The smallest of the bunch is a Boston terrier, besides being a great alert dog and chasing down small game for her own enjoyment she isnt much at attack/protecting. However....we also have a black german shepard who misses NOTHING. I swear she has her own little stash of crack somewhere because she is always pacing and patrolling the house and yard. And her bark is so versatile that there is no mistake as to what she has encountered whether it be a passing stray dog or someone that looks suspect. Our two biggest members of the family are both pit bulls....very loving despite what some think...but also VERY protective. And you at the very least think twice about approaching these two especially once seeing them bear teeth. All four have limited access to other people that come into the house so that they do not become too friendly and possibly wind up "layin down on the job". I have recently started constructing my own small "doggy packs" ... so that I can begin training them to carry a few items in case of a SHTF situation. I figure that since they are very much like our children they might as well take up duties that our real kids would LOL I absolutely believe that dogs ...and possibly other animals...could be trained to be vital tools as well as team mates in a SHTF scenario.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts