Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was younger, my family had a large home away from home cabin in the woods about 5 miles from us. We would go up the mountain on the weekends, play music, build fires, swim/fish/bathe in the pond. A lot of memories.

One day we saw some smoke in the direction of our cabin, which we found out was our cabin. The police said that there were some (3 wheeler marks, yes, I'm that old), beer cans around the cabin where we figured people would go during the week to do their partying in our cabin. We had locks on the cabin, which of course I'm sure they came in through the windows. Anyway, burnt down to the ground.

What tactics would you think of protecting your retreat (prior to SHTF) that would be a safe way to deter trespassers?

Some things from my experience is:

• Have high windows
  • Multiple locks
  • Beware of dog signs
  • Fake security cameras
  • Trip wire net like used in Predator. Ok, just kidding on that one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have thought about this often. I was thinking shutters on the inside of the windows or some that close from the inside then close the window. Deer cams work great for catching people. This will be an interesting thread thank you for posting it....

Why do I not have a thank you button ???

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the lower right hand corner of the window, it disappears until you move close to it.

Great idea on the deer cam and windows. If they don't have the strength or tools to pry it open, they'll give up.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Signs around stating alarm system up and running along with web cam. There are ways to do more, but won't discuss them here. Noise makers help. p.s, I got rid of my 3 wheeler about 20 years ago.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any thing you do, they will just come up with more ingeniuos ways to steal/destroy you stuff.

A friend of mine has had some property out in the middle of now where near a National Forest (we go and ATV there often) and there are some locals out there as well. He built a steel barn out there to house his ATVs and tractors to work on the property and ride in the Nat Forest. He then had a pair old Mobile home trailers put down there. The first time "the Locals" broke in they simply used bolt cutters. So he put on better doors with dead bolts. So the "locals" used a torch and cut a hole the size of the tractor in the side of the steel Building. So he put concrete barriers all around next to the building with 10" steel post infront of each barrier and parked an old cat dozer infront of the door and took out the battery, starter, alternator, ignition, fuses etc... so the "locals" used dynamite (big mining area). Joke was on them however, their was nothing in the building and he had deer cameras all up around the property which extended up and down the road for about a mile and caught the "locals" parking their trucks.

He has now built him a nice home and lives there on and off through out the yr. Hasn't had a problem since they got caught. So I guess what I am saying is,,, use the cameras to catch the "locals". Usually its just 1 bad bunch and once they get caught they will stay away. Maybe put your prep stuff in a container buried in a hill side with vegetation covering it. like an old fallout/storm shelter setup.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
We used to be able to buy burglar alarms here in Britain about 15 years ago that used blank shotgun shells, I never had one but I saw them on sale in a gunshop.
I can't find any pics on the net so I don't know if they've been banned, but they looked like this-
They were simply a vertical rod with the shell clamped at the bottom, and a dead weight metal block slid down the rod to fire the shell.
You stood them just inside your door.
I can't remember what triggered the block to drop, I think there was some kind of simple linkage to the door handle.
I should imagine they'd make burglars think twice about coming in after hearing the blast; they'd probably think the home owner had fired a warning shot!
They'd be easy for anybody to make except in Britain, we'd probably be arrested if we tried to get blank shells over here..;)

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
A good idea might be to wrap warning tape completely around a cabin and put the asbestos signs on all 4 sides like in this mockup..

LOL! Or like "Danger, smallpox hazard" or something like that. Maybe "Raw sewage leak" signs

·
Registered
450 Posts
Good stuff listed here... Trail camera is a real good idea. I have two I keep active, one on the front drive and one on the back. I've taken some nice mug shots but no damage done, nothing stolen. It does make you think though, why is someone walking up my drive, after dark, in the middle of nowhere.

1895gunner

·
Registered
30 Posts
To: "Lucky Jim"

You could get some tape and roll of paper-caps like they use for toy cap guns (assuming those aren't illegal) in Britain? Sure you get my drift, loud, legal noise makers :)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Maybe some cameras either real or fake and a sign that reads "protected by remote cameras"
If you can get a cell phone signal you can have an alarm put in even without power to you cabin. They can be set up to call the police, fire department give you real time viewing of your cabin inside or out and call you on your cell phone. You just need to contact some of the alarm companies as there are so many options now most don't even need any wiring.

·
Registered
438 Posts
When I was younger, my family had a large home away from home cabin in the woods about 5 miles from us. We would go up the mountain on the weekends, play music, build fires, swim/fish/bathe in the pond. A lot of memories.

One day we saw some smoke in the direction of our cabin, which we found out was our cabin. The police said that there were some (3 wheeler marks, yes, I'm that old), beer cans around the cabin where we figured people would go during the week to do their partying in our cabin. We had locks on the cabin, which of course I'm sure they came in through the windows. Anyway, burnt down to the ground.

What tactics would you think of protecting your retreat (prior to SHTF) that would be a safe way to deter trespassers?

Some things from my experience is:

• Have high windows
  • Multiple locks
  • Beware of dog signs
  • Fake security cameras
  • Trip wire net like used in Predator. Ok, just kidding on that one.
Another idea for SHTF conditions is to keep a bunch of stuff in a second nearby location. You could put stuff like camo clothing, food, water, ammunition in a buried container that only you know the location of. This would be a prime location to stage your effort to re-take the rest of your property.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
To: "Lucky Jim"
You could get some tape and roll of paper-caps like they use for toy cap guns (assuming those aren't illegal) in Britain? Sure you get my drift, loud, legal noise makers :)
Ha ha, or even better I could get a blank-firing revolver, I had one about 20 years ago and its blast was so powerful it could set off car alarms in the street provided I used .22 longs and not baby 'shorts'..:)
For two pins I'd get one to scare burglars off, I see this one is on the net, I'd empty the chamber at them while screaming "motherf******s, motherf******s, motherf******s" at the top of my voice like I've seen troops do in Nam movies-

Buying or making signs like these might also deter burglars and prowlers-

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Your not going to convince me there are no weapons stashed in the UK. A lot of unaccounted for Enfields The dog may play nice I won't

Reactions: nadja and inceptor

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't do this with anything but a blank gun,

You could make a stand and mount a "Blank-Firing" gun on a swivel, cock it, put a string through the rear sling swivel (or around mounting post) then get a barrel sized dowel and put it in barrel (string end first) next tie another string to the opposite end and attach multiple trip lines.

When it's tripped the dowel will point it at the foe the dowel slides out and bang.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
If you are really interested This is for information only you should never try to make anything always buy it at the store. Making things may be against the law or get you hurt. The publication is freely available and does not violate any US laws to have or read yet. The pub is not protected under any copy right per US law.
Changed my mind look it up TM 31-210

1 - 20 of 31 Posts