Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I have been pondering for a while now about building a perimeter wall around my 9 acre property. On this property there is four homes where all of my family live as we call this our Homestead. We live out in the country however we have neighbors so I wouldn’t say that were in the country secluded but we are in the country where the neighbors are few. So I have been thinking about pouring a concrete footer and installing a concrete perimeter wall.

Before all the questions come in yes I have home defenses in place. Yes I have solar powered perimeter lighting. But with that said I have livestock, gardens and our Homestead that quite frankly I would like to be not seen from passerby‘s. So I’m curious if anybody else has thought about this and wondered if the expense is worth it as I would guess if I blocked it it would be cheaper but it would take me forever pouring it would be much faster but also much more expensive. I don’t want to use a wood perimeter wall as it could be bypassed fairly simple and the maintenance would be substantially more than Concrete.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
Perhaps grow some blackberries. High and thick They will block a line of sight plus produce food. A man made structure is a tip that there is likely something of value inside of it.Thick gowth and thorny plants will keep the casual at bay IMHO. Concrete may take more effort to defeat but will not be dismissed as nature.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Perhaps grow some blackberries. High and thick They will block a line of sight plus produce food. A man made structure is a tip that there is likely something of value inside of it.Thick gowth and thorny plants will keep the casual at bay IMHO. Concrete may take more effort to defeat but will not be dismissed as nature.
Dittos on the black berries as a barrier. Building a wall around four acres could dig deep into the hip pocket. Know there are some aging Brick walls in this area along the ROW of certain streets..costs a million bucks a mile to fix it. Not much telling how much to build it. Not sure what else could be used to build a good wall. Would think motion sensors would be much cheaper. I have a pal that guards oil wells and wind farms and he uses some kinda gizmo that wakes him up when somebody is coming.
https://www.homecontrols.com/home-security/security-sensors/perimeter-entry-alert-sensors

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
Hello all,

So I have been pondering for a while now about building a perimeter wall around my 9 acre property. On this property there is four homes where all of my family live as we call this our Homestead. We live out in the country however we have neighbors so I wouldn't say that were in the country secluded but we are in the country where the neighbors are few. So I have been thinking about pouring a concrete footer and installing a concrete perimeter wall.

Before all the questions come in yes I have home defenses in place. Yes I have solar powered perimeter lighting. But with that said I have livestock, gardens and our Homestead that quite frankly I would like to be not seen from passerby's. So I'm curious if anybody else has thought about this and wondered if the expense is worth it as I would guess if I blocked it it would be cheaper but it would take me forever pouring it would be much faster but also much more expensive. I don't want to use a wood perimeter wall as it could be bypassed fairly simple and the maintenance would be substantially more than Concrete.

Thoughts?
Have you done the math on the number and dimensions of the footings plus the thickness/height/width of the concrete wall and metal reinforcements needed to keep the wall structurally sound and then determine the amount of concrete/metal that you will need?

Do that, come back to us, and I'll give you the no BullShat answer to your question!

:vs_whistle:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you done the math on the number and dimensions of the footings plus the thickness/height/width of the concrete wall and metal reinforcements needed to keep the wall structurally sound and then determine the amount of concrete/metal that you will need?

Do that, come back to us, and I'll give you the no BullShat answer to your question!

:vs_whistle:
So I have a concrete company that I own my my sons. The cost is high but if I lay blocks I can run about 40' for around 5k

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd lay the concrete 'foot' and put on it chicken wire fence and grow bushes over it. Something nice but prickly. Why? Cause if you need to 'exit' it's easier to do through fencing. Also you can install electronic intrusion alert for cut fencing making it easier to spot folks who try to infiltrate the perimeter. On the other hand it's harder to monitor a wall that can be climbed over without getting too many false alerts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd lay the concrete 'foot' and put on it chicken wire fence and grow bushes over it. Something nice but prickly. Why? Cause if you need to 'exit' it's easier to do through fencing. Also you can install electronic intrusion alert for cut fencing making it easier to spot folks who try to infiltrate the perimeter. On the other hand it's harder to monitor a wall that can be climbed over without getting too many false alerts.
Thanks..

I will explore these options

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
So I have a concrete company that I own my my sons. The cost is high but if I lay blocks I can run about 40' for around 5k
Based on some quick math (provided by Mrs Slippy) 9 acres will have approx 2500 Lineal Feet. (Circumstances will vary) At $5k per 40', it will cost you approx $313,500 to build your wall.

I'd take the $313K, sell the land and homes, add the funds together and buy something new far away from other people and enjoy life!

·
Administrator
14,709 Posts
We have 4 acres. It took several years, but we are completely fenced with 47 inch high Red Top field fence. With PT round fence posts every 8 feet.
Keeps our dogs in, keeps feral dogs out, and acts as a marker for humans to cross at their own peril.

On the 280 feet that front the public dirt road, I also have 4 board horse fence, 5 feet tall, 4X4 psts every 8 feet, backed by Red Top to keep critters out. Down South, blackberries grow wild, and as fast as weeds. Those that grow on the horse fence are encouraged to do so to funnel any bad actors to climbing over one of the two 16 foot livestock gates that are our access points.
Both gates can be swept clean with rifle fire without leaving the porch.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Just get a couple large dogs and a pet fence around the perimeter. Spent the money saved on dog food and batteries for the dog collars. Maybe ammo and guns if you can find any. Fence won't help a thing.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Perimeter, the big question is what are you going to do when someone breaches it. Any wall, mote or barrier of any kind will be breached . Even the great wall failed. The question gets easier after full blown SHTF and there is no longer LE. It is the here and now it is a hard question that must be considered. Trespass in most states is treated lightly and your action are extremely limited . Even someone coming on your property and stealing is not one you can take much action on. At least some states if they enter the home you good. What defines home depends on the state and current DA.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Perimeter, the big question is what are you going to do when someone breaches it. Any wall, mote or barrier of any kind will be breached . Even the great wall failed. The question gets easier after full blown SHTF and there is no longer LE. It is the here and now it is a hard question that must be considered. Trespass in most states is treated lightly and your action are extremely limited . Even someone coming on your property and stealing is not one you can take much action on. At least some states if they enter the home you good. What defines home depends on the state and current DA.
burgular1.jpg burgular2.jpg

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
All in good fun but real world . Shoot someone for trespass you may never see life from out side a jail again. And signs like that will convict your. You do what you gota do but don't advertise it. Now they are pushing in some states if they break in your home you must leave and let them take what they want.
We live in some messed up times.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Prickly berry bushes mentioned earlier would be my choice. The black berries in my area grow very thick and fast and another bonus is that you will have life time supply of ingredients for jams, jellies pie filling, berry wine, liqueur...... Downside, you could attract some bears which would also be a deterrent.

Godspeed

·
Registered
303 Posts
One of the problems with a wall is that you will need the manpower to man said walls 24/7, even if you plan on electronically monitor it, someone will need to monitor the monitors 24/7.

If I may suggest, build a fence around your property similar to what you see around some high security areas. I understand that there are multiple dwellings on your property. I would select one of the houses that in the event of an eminent threat everyone would move to for defense. Build a wall around it since there will be a much shorter length of wall to defend.

Walls are a force multiplier. With enough people any defense can be overcome, but the point is to make the cost in lives is so high that the cost is not worth the possible gain to invaders. To be brutally honest, help convince the bad guys to attack weaker neighbors instead of you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Getting back to my post of building a concrete base around and putting up a fence around it. I thought of a way to improve upon it - I would put metal spikes or something like that in it so that if someone tried to drive over it, they'd get a flat. If you needed to bug out, you'd know about it and either have preset locations without spikes or have a board or something that you could put over the spikes....

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Much fast. Just looking through some of my old pictures. No one ever tried to breach.

IRAQ 097.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts