Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a prepping question, but I bet someone here will be able to set me straight!

I'm an American living in Scotland - I'll be living here for the foreseeable future, and I'm happy about that, but I'm still very patriotic about my home country. Which is why I'm so thrilled that my mother is not only visiting me for Thanksgiving this year, but also bringing me a good Made-In-USA Old Glory as a present. (I have one displayed on my wall which has sentimental value, but I'm not actually sure what country it was made in - there's something wrong about publicly displaying one made anywhere but the USA, you know? Although this one was a gift from a Swedish roommate, who acquired it while doing his national service in Afghanistan, so I'm pleased to have it on my wall!)

Anyway, we live in a small urban apartment, so the only way for me to display it publicly is to put it up in the window. I'd like to do this, on Thanksgiving, New Year's Day, Inauguration Day, etc. But I'm not sure what the correct way to do it is. I found this excellent article at The Art of Manliness which says:

"When displayed either horizontally or vertically from the wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window it should be displayed in the same way. 4 U.S.C 7(i)."

Call me obsessive, but I'm wondering whether the union should be to the observer's left from inside or outside the window? Anyone know?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah, nevermind, I found it!

"(i) When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be
uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a
window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street."

That makes sense.

Found on this site's Flag Etiquette page, looks like a great company;
US Flag Etiquette : Rocky Mountain Flag Company

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Ha ha, you think you've got trouble? Half the Union Jacks in Britain are being flown upside down and nobody notices..:)
Look, the flag on the left is correct because the broad white diagonal (arrowed) is uppermost nearest the flagpole, but the other flag is upside down!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man, that's hilarious! I'll have to keep an eye out for that... but not point it out. If it happens here in Scotland it's probably being done on purpose by Scots who are annoyed that it's not the Saltire. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
As far as displaying the flag in the window, where do you intend it to be seen? If is primarily for your own enjoyment inside the apartment, I would display it so it was correct for your view. If you want it to be seen from outside, then put it so it is right from the outside observers' view.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
ZGF, your a true American! And I thought I was the only obsessive about this. My grandfather would drive me up to the school when I was younger and get out at the flag pole. He would walk inside to the principles office and lecture them.... errr, bitch to them about if the flag was incorrectly displayed (Half mast, torn/ripped, dirty etc). WWII if that tells you something.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

"Raise a banner on a bare hilltop, I have summoned my warriors to carry out my wrath..they come from faraway lands..to destroy the whole country..and destroy the sinners within it" (Isaiah ch 13)

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
There was a time I would see a flag being improperly displayed and take the time to give the owner a lesson. Call me a meddlesome jerk (been called it before) but if you are going to display the flag, do it correctly.

Don't do it, anymore. I am now surrounded by uneducated people. I am outnumbered. Were I to continue, I would have no time for my own life.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZGF, your a true American! And I thought I was the only obsessive about this. My grandfather would drive me up to the school when I was younger and get out at the flag pole. He would walk inside to the principles office and lecture them.... errr, bitch to them about if the flag was incorrectly displayed (Half mast, torn/ripped, dirty etc). WWII if that tells you something.
There was a time I would see a flag being improperly displayed and take the time to give the owner a lesson. Call me a meddlesome jerk (been called it before) but if you are going to display the flag, do it correctly.

Don't do it, anymore. I am now surrounded by uneducated people. I am outnumbered. Were I to continue, I would have no time for my own life.
Damn straight. I salute you both. :)

I disagree with a lot of preppers about a lot of things (not being particularly conservative).... but some things you just have to respect. Loyalty to the country always. Living abroad has really driven that home for me; when I'm living at home it's easy to take it for granted, but when you leave America, you realize what you've lost, and symbols mean a lot.

*wipes tear from eye* :p

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
god bless america. i need to put out my usmc flag. i cant believe the baby is gone again on deployment.
i cant wait till he comes home and i can give him a once over for bed bugs and feed him some supper.
love it or leave it. burning our flag and foriegn made us flags make me crazy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts