Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter & husband recently lost power in the latest NE snow storm. They won't have power restored for at least 2 days. The temp was 20 degrees this morning. I am considering buying them a
Mr. Heater, 30,000 - 45,000 BTU 540 Degree Tank Top Heater. I'm thinking if a window is cracked & a co2 sensor is close by they should be fine. Any one recommend something better or any better ideas. They live in a townhouse of around 1200 sq ft. Thanks

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
There are "on the wall" heaters that do not require an open window, . . . they are propane.

If this is the one you're looking at, . . . I'd say it is OK: http://www.mrheater.com/30-000-btu-vent-free-blue-flame-propane-heater-1707.html

I have one similar to it that heats my leather shop, . . . look for that kind of heater.

Be especially careful of it if the instructions say "Use only in a well ventilated area". That one will get them killed or extremely sick.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
that type of model is really incorrect for an emergency heating application for a residence .....

this is the type you are contemplating ... - MH45T Triple Tank Top Heater | Mr. Heater

this is the type model you should be buying ..... MH18B Big Buddy Portable Heater | Mr. Heater

instead of the 1lb propane bottles you need an adapter/extension hose for utilizing the 20lb BBQ size tanks .... https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-12...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000UC7966

your family needs to be prepped to reduce that 1200 sq foot total down to a more workable living space - close off a bedroom or the living room? .... camp out in sleeping bags

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
What Illini Warrier said. He has it right.
The Big Buddy even with a 20 lb tank only runs about 10 hrs on high heat (30 hrs on low heat) on one 20 lb tank. Be sure they have at least 2-3 tanks for emergency heat and since the bottom of the heater gets pretty hot a lot of people set it on I piece of wood if the room has carpet. The fan on these units is pretty weak but the Big Buddy is an excellent choice for the money.

·
Banned
5,001 Posts
What Illini Warrier said. He has it right.
The Big Buddy even with a 20 lb tank only runs about 10 hrs on high heat (30 hrs on low heat) on one 20 lb tank. Be sure they have at least 2-3 tanks for emergency heat and since the bottom of the heater gets pretty hot a lot of people set it on I piece of wood if the room has carpet. The fan on these units is pretty weak but the Big Buddy is an excellent choice for the money.
A Mr Buddy will run much longer than that on high on a 20lbs propane tank so will a Hunting buddy which has a bigger burner I use them in hunting blinds for deer season every year.

I have both - the original Mr buddy and the Hunting buddy.

Mr Buddy-
Provides 3 to 6 hours of heat with 1-lb. propane cylinder and 48 to 110 hours with a 20-lb. tank
Big Buddy-
up to 108 hours on 20-lb. propane tank.
Hunting Buddy-
Up to 36 to 72 hours on a 20
lb. cylinder (based on „HI‰ and „LO‰ settings).

·
Registered
722 Posts
The Big Buddy is an excellent choice. I have the Buddy heater, the little brother to the Big Buddy, and has half the BTU output. Use it for camping or emergencies. I also have a 30,000 BTU unit (link below) that I cart back and forth to our cabin in winter. Heats a 500 SF great room on one 20lb tank for about three days. Mind you our climate is warmer than the NE.

FREE SHIPPING - Mr. Heater Vent-Free Liquid Propane Radiant Wall Heater - 30,000 BTU, 5-Plaque, Model# MHVFRD30LPT | Propane Wall Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
The Big Buddy is an excellent choice. I have the Buddy heater, the little brother to the Big Buddy, and has half the BTU output. Use it for camping or emergencies. I also have a 30,000 BTU unit (link below) that I cart back and forth to our cabin in winter. Heats a 500 SF great room on one 20lb tank for about three days. Mind you our climate is warmer than the NE.

FREE SHIPPING - Mr. Heater Vent-Free Liquid Propane Radiant Wall Heater - 30,000 BTU, 5-Plaque, Model# MHVFRD30LPT | Propane Wall Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment
a Mr Heater unit that doesn't get enough attention - it's a Buddy unit installed in a roll around cabinet that also houses the 20lb BBQ tank

MH18CH Cabinet Heater | Mr. Heater -

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've been using Heater Buddies for five years as my primary heat source. I'm at 6k feet in the high desert, and it gets cold in winter (snowed, flooded, and mudded in two months this year). The tank top type heater warms fast, while the other one or two maintain it. A 20lb tank lasts LOTS longer than 10 hours, more like forty or more. I use the 100lb tanks, though. One per heater per winter, so far.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Your best bet is a small generator Hook it directly to furnace to power it. You can also rotate it to run other things as needed.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Mr Heater units are my secondary heat source, have several of them, each is supplied by dual 100 pound tanks.

There are six spare 100 pound tanks.

Third level heat is kerosene, fourth is wood.

The Big Buddy is the best bet, good idea to have spare ceramic plates and thermocouple.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Your best bet is a small generator Hook it directly to furnace to power it. You can also rotate it to run other things as needed.
it's a couple living in a small condo - even if they aren't younger yuppie types - I doubt they have the where-for-all for storing and hooking up a gennie ....

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
A Mr Buddy will run much longer than that on high on a 20lbs propane tank so will a Hunting buddy which has a bigger burner I use them in hunting blinds for deer season every year.

I have both - the original Mr buddy and the Hunting buddy.

Mr Buddy-

Big Buddy-

Hunting Buddy-
Yep, I was wrong. Here is what I found online.
(2) 1-lb bottles: about 10 hours on low
(2) 1-lb bottles: about 2 hours on high
20-lb bottle: about 100 hours on low
20-lb bottle: about 20 hours on high

·
Banned
5,001 Posts
Yep, I was wrong. Here is what I found online.
(2) 1-lb bottles: about 10 hours on low
(2) 1-lb bottles: about 2 hours on high
20-lb bottle: about 100 hours on low
20-lb bottle: about 20 hours on high
Low setting is 108 hours see below-
Product Summary
The Mr. Heater Big Buddy™ provides temporary heat for barns, sheds, cabins, campers, patios, garages, sporting events, hunting blinds and more. Dual heating system combines radiant heat comfort with convection heat air flow for maximum heating efficiency. 4000, 9000 and 18,000 BTU with the capacity to heat up to 400 square feet for up to 108 hours on 20-lb. propane tank.
Mr. Heater Big Buddy Indoor/Outdoor Propane Heater - 18,000 BTU, Model# MH18B | Propane Portable Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

Operating time will vary depending on the heater setting
& supply cylinder size. One 1 lb. cylinder: 1.5 to 6 hrs
Two 1 lb. cyl: 3-12 hr., two 20 lb. cyl: 50-220 hr.
Mr. Heater Portable Big Buddy? Heater : Cabela's

Model No. MH18B
Stock No. F274800
4,000/9,000/18,000 BTU/HR
Gas: Propane
Operating Position: Vertical
Valve Position: Pilot, Lo, Med. & Hi
Heating Time:
One 1lb. Cylinder: 1.5 to 6 hours
Two 1lb. Cylinders: 3 to 12 hours
Two 20lb. Cylinders: 50 to 220 hours
Overall Dimensions: 17"L X 10"W X 17 1/2"H
Shipping Weight: 16lbs.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/static/sites/TSC/downloads/ProdContentPDFs/2133493_Bro1.pdf

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
there's always that fuel conservation that should be considered and prepped for in advance - turn down the heat to low for bedtime/evening - have a pop-up tent insulated with blankets in your sectioned off home - a good sleeping bag for everyone in the group ....

the tent and bags should be part of your bug out gear - even if the bug out is to the nearest emergency shelter ....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Chiming in with agreement.... the Mr. Heater "Buddies" are great choices.
We keep one in the Motor Home and it keeps the rig nice and warm when we need it.
We keep another in the trailer at the "retirement place" as a backup to the propane furnace.
We have another one stashed away in reserve for whatever need may arise...

At home we heat primarily with wood and an oil furnace for "fill in", but one never knows :)

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Mr Heater units are my secondary heat source, have several of them, each is supplied by dual 100 pound tanks.

There are six spare 100 pound tanks.

Third level heat is kerosene, fourth is wood.

The Big Buddy is the best bet, good idea to have spare ceramic plates and thermocouple.
don't know if you ever explored the breakdown dis-assemble of one of these Mr Heater portables - among other things it can be a real SOB to get that gas tubing re-formed ....

save yourself grief - buy a Mr Heater inline LP fuel filter when you use the 20lb tanks - there's more clogging crap to contend with - super cheap insurance at under $10 http://www.leacockcolemancenter.com/Universal-Fuel-Filter-Mr-Heater/item/F273699-

when you have the portable Mr Heater in storage - keep the dust off the unit - especially keep the pilot gas tube clean - the piezo pilot igniter is about 90% of the problems ....

·
Registered
452 Posts
Not sure what happened but your link didn't quite work... This should be the one you were referring to. Universal Fuel Filter Mr Heater It got an extra " - " in there somehow.

don't know if you ever explored the breakdown dis-assemble of one of these Mr Heater portables - among other things it can be a real SOB to get that gas tubing re-formed ....

save yourself grief - buy a Mr Heater inline LP fuel filter when you use the 20lb tanks - there's more clogging crap to contend with - super cheap insurance at under $10 http://www.leacockcolemancenter.com/Universal-Fuel-Filter-Mr-Heater/item/F273699-

when you have the portable Mr Heater in storage - keep the dust off the unit - especially keep the pilot gas tube clean - the piezo pilot igniter is about 90% of the problems ....

·
Registered
9,062 Posts

Each of mine are attached to two, 100 pound tanks with a filter in line at the auto transfer regulator.

They are wall mounted radiant heaters.

I also have two big buddies that are backups, still in original boxes, with the 20 pound adapter lines and filters.

I do have spare igniters, tc's and ceramic plates for all the units.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
My daughter & husband recently lost power in the latest NE snow storm. They won't have power restored for at least 2 days. The temp was 20 degrees this morning. I am considering buying them a
Mr. Heater, 30,000 - 45,000 BTU 540 Degree Tank Top Heater. I'm thinking if a window is cracked & a co2 sensor is close by they should be fine. Any one recommend something better or any better ideas. They live in a townhouse of around 1200 sq ft. Thanks
I'm sorry, guys, . . . but I don't think most of you bothered to read the OP.

They live in a townhouse, . . . which indicates either an apartment or a condo.

Having one of those "on the bottle" rigs in a 1200 sq ft townhouse means it is within 3 ft of something that burns no matter where you place it unless you clear out an area for it.

It is simply a three alarm fire awaiting for a place to happen.

Anybody who would put one of those in an inhabited house, apt. or condo, . . . in my estimation, . . . they need a couple sessions with Dr. Phil, . . . garage or shed, AOK, . . . living quarters, . . . not on your life, . . . or especially on mine.

The unit I posted also has a thermostat, . . . which means you can start it, . . . and forget it, . . . once you get a setting you like. Go to bed and go to sleep if you like. Got one of those bottle things burning???? Better find someone to take the night shift while it burns.

May God bless,
Dwight

1 - 20 of 26 Posts