Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a ProForce All Weather Shelter, which is a lightweight 10' X 10' tarp. I prefer tarps over tents because they pack smaller, are lighter, and can easily be set up in many different configurations.

The PFAWS is made of OD green 210T ripstop nylon, and is PU coated and treated to resist UV. The seams are all taped and sealed. It comes with the tarp, 8 lightweight stakes, and 4 X 10' paracord guy ropes with adjusters. The stakes and ropes come in a nylon bag, and a larger bag will hold the tarp and the stakes/ropes bag. The total system weighs just over 2 pounds, which is light for a tarp of this size.

This tarp features well reinforced grommets at each corner, along with tie-out loops along each side. Additional tie-outs run diagonally along the top. These seem to be designed for setting it up in a diamond pattern for use over a hammock, and I won't be using them except for the center one. I like having the ability to tie up the center so it won't fill up with water in heavy rain.

As an added bonus, it has plastic snaps down 2 sides so you can fold it and snap it up to use it as a bivvy if you want. Overall, it looks to be well made, and I have seen reports from people who have owned one of these for years without any problems. Only time will tell, but I think this tarp will do everything I want.

Anyone looking for a large, lightweight, durable shelter for your car or BOB would be well served with this system. I got mine for about $65 on amazon.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I'm a tent fan when outdoors. Its a snake thing - they bug me. I want an enclosed tent I don't have to worry about them wiggling into. And these are $40 plus sales tax and even if they are cheap chinese products they save me money, are light to carry, and for my personal needs (which would be quite temporary) they suffiice and leave me money for ammo.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Great review!

I'm with Ripon on tents personally. Been camping to many times and see bugs crawling up out of the ground all night long. One of the kids left a can of Vienna sausages open on the ground one night and we saw a spider the size of my whole hand eat them! Pretty sure if we hadn't been sealed up in the tent we'd have all been looking for a hotel in short order! :D

Also have had a coyote run around our camp at night one time camping in KY. Again thankful we at least had the tent between us and the critter in case it had had rabbis or something. The tent probably wouldn't have stopped him long, but maybe long enough for me to wake up and pop him in the head with a pistol.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I like nylon tarps, mine is purple colored and 8x10. I know purple? it was all the had at the time in the size I wanted. Having tie out loops in the center of the tarp gives one some options in how they set it up. To me that's more important than the color. Obviously...:smile:

Some pretty decent shelters can be made with a tarp, rope using natural material (trees) and some basic knots. I'm not sure about the center tie outs running on the diagonal. Unless it is a design for a certain style of tarp shelter. I am more familiar with the center tie outs that are parallel to the sides.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
For as long as I can remember I have kept a tarp in my vehicles. They are cheap, but will serve short term emergencies.

I'm with the tent crowd for planned evolutions.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
If it's a planned outing I take the camper. Did the tent thing for years. I've gotten to the point that I can really appreciate the amenities a camper affords. The tarp is for a quick shelter anywhere any time. In a pinch a poncho will do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts