Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see anything related to the ability to print in a survivalist world, ie., post whenever it all goes wrong. I have a chandler and price treadle printing press, two large font cabinets and lots, of lead fonts. The lead itself is valuable for its usefulness in making lead shot. I would like to see these items be salvaged as I need to dispose of them, I believe the scrap value alone of the metals is over $1000.

Respond if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
pretty cool, shortwave radio, and ham radio, cb, has been a more MODERN way of communicating. I guess most will become useless in a emp attack. Neat idea, thanks for sharing.

oowwww and welcome to the site.

btw I think there is a classifieds section, may get more hits in there. Im sure a mod will come by and move it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't see anything related to the ability to print in a survivalist world, ie., post whenever it all goes wrong. I have a chandler and price treadle printing press, two large font cabinets and lots, of lead fonts. The lead itself is valuable for its usefulness in making lead shot. I would like to see these items be salvaged as I need to dispose of them, I believe the scrap value alone of the metals is over $1000.

Respond if interested.
That's an old Chandler and Price hand fed , if I were you I'd look around in the trade publications and maybe afvertise it , there's a growing "boutique " movement and you could quite likely get a hell of a lot more than scrap prices out of it , it's no Miehle Vertical , Kluge or Heidelberg ( windmill) but it looks like it's mostly there.

How many chases are with it and do you have lockup quoins and keys etc? What are the type faces and how complete are they and what kind of shape are they in?

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
I did not see the foot treadle, the ink rollers which are in the down position or a motorizing adapter.
Are there any frames with it, wedges and keys, furniture, of which i only see some in a tray,why not show some of the job cases open?
Can you even get the rollers redone anymore? Is there a stick?
I know how to use it and have in the distant past. I only ask to give questions that you might have to answer.
They are getting rare today, offset has pretty much taken their place. Nice piece of history. Nice job shop setup.
I even see an old naphtha ink cleaning can in the background of pic number three.
Hope someone takes it, would be sad for it to be scrapped.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
"Give me 26 lead soldiers and I will conquer the world"- Benjamin Franklin on the power of the printed word.
"I fear four hostile newspapers more than I fear a thousand bayonets"- Napoleon Bonaparte
"There must be no freedom of the press"- Lenin

·
Registered
207 Posts
I did not see the foot treadle, the ink rollers which are in the down position or a motorizing adapter.
Are there any frames with it, wedges and keys, furniture, of which i only see some in a tray,why not show some of the job cases open?
Can you even get the rollers redone anymore? Is there a stick?
I know how to use it and have in the distant past. I only ask to give questions that you might have to answer.
They are getting rare today, offset has pretty much taken their place. Nice piece of history. Nice job shop setup.
I even see an old naphtha ink cleaning can in the background of pic number three.
Hope someone takes it, would be sad for it to be scrapped.
Some of the real early ones didn't have a treadle , you used the handwheel , which of course required *timing* in conjunction with feeding. Rollers are still available from several sources , the repop rollers are junk.

If it lacks a chase and a spare that's a problem but not an insurmountable one.

And small format offset is mostly dead nowadays , along with a significant portion of large offset , on the small end you no longer see Chiefs , MultiLiths , the non Alcolor AB Dicks etc. On the large end the Millers , Harris's , a goodly portion of the Miehles , many of the Solnas etc are gone except in small markets.

The Akiyamas and Komoris have also made HUGE in roads in Heidelbergs market in what's left of large format sheetfed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts