Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to work for a rapid prototyping company that used stereolithography to "print" 3D parts out of plastic. It's an interesting process, so I sort of keep up on advances in that field. I was kind of surprised to see that they can now use a similar process to laser sinter powdered metals and "print" guns that actually fire!

If this process gets into the consumer level mainstream, like regular 3D printing has, it would be next to impossible to stop anyone from making their own guns. Maybe that's why they are trying to control ammo instead.

The .45 they are testing seems real sluggish going back into battery, but remember... this is an early proof of concept model.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It's sluggish because it's a 1911. It needs hours of deburring, fine polishing and love and care before it will work right. :mrgreen:

They should have 3d printed a 92FS, P226 or G17. Than it would have worked fine from the start. :lol:

Cool either way though. This is one step closer to what the government fears. A little less control on people making weapons to eventually fight back against their tyranny.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Looked to me like it was sluggish in the beginning but probably will work fine once it's broken in. I like where this whole 3D printing thing is heading. I'd like to see this technology available to everyone, we'll see if the government shuts it down or starts regulating the technology.

-Infidel

·
Registered
143 Posts
I see a problem if someone can 3d print a plastic one that works because of airport security, but It seems that the hoopla over the 3d printing is over exaggerated.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
3D printing is coming along faster than I thought. Between 3D, CNC machines and I believe ceramics we will be making our own guns in the near future.

Question, springs seem to be the only part that will require manufacturing, yes or no?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My Colt 1911 worked well out of the box, has never misfired.
Your one of the lucky ones. :mrgreen:

Just kidding. It should have being it was a Colt. Afterall they work to make a fair product.

:suppliesonforklift:

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
My Colt combat Commander was the poorest example of a gun I have ever owned. It would not return to battery using factory hardball ammo. I spent several hours deburring every piece in the action before it would shoot more than one round without failure. I spend a couple of days making it an accurate, and reliable gun - well it was reliable 98 - 99 % of the time. I traded it for a couple of boxes of reloading gear and sold the Dillon 550 to get my money back. I made out pretty good in the end but that gun soured me on Colt quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why there are no fresh printing-related topics? That's really interesting imo. Maybe I just ran the wrong search terms

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,950 Posts
Why there are no fresh printing-related topics? That's really interesting imo. Maybe I just ran the wrong search terms
There are a few threads on the topic, one of which I think I started to show my attempts at printing an AR receiver. (spoiler alert: I failed, lol)
Keep searching, they are out there.
If I can find the one I contributed to, I'll link it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.