Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post a pic of something I have been teaching my students to make. Made this one in a class today. Its nothing fancy but separated from gear and supplies I would rather have this primitive tomahawk than nothing. Any thoughts????

Brown Wood Twig Trunk Art

Natural material Wood Tool Metal Garden tool

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Just thought I would post a pic of something I have been teaching my students to make. Made this one in a class today. Its nothing fancy but separated from gear and supplies I would rather have this primitive tomahawk than nothing. Any thoughts????

View attachment 3650

View attachment 3651
Very nice! I would hang that on my wall next to my collection and I would use it with confidence if I didn't have steel available.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And there ya go, that’s the point i try to teach. I find often it seams students are to reliant on their gear and don’t consider the what if I don’t have my gear scenario. I find these primitive skills extremely useful if for nothing more than the confidence they build. Steel first always, but if ya dont have steel a stone will do.....

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think next week we will demonstrate what this will do with flesh, maybe some pork. May as well, will have to post some pics....

Reactions: Meangreen

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's really beautiful work on your part. I look at primitive weapons as art.
I thank you sir, just takes time to learn and I highly recommend it to anyone interested. it's a great skill to pick up.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's another nasty piece, its an Atlatl dart. I guarantee to stick the business end of this in his gut and its going to smart a bit. You can use it as a handheld weapon or launch it with the Atlatl at 100mph. Trust me when I say it has an impact….

Brown Wood Flooring Terrestrial plant Hardwood

Office supplies Wood Natural material Burin Bunsen burner

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THAT is some nice work.
I thank you sir, anyone can learn to do this sort of thing. I am now practicing knapping glass as I figure there will always be some of that handy. I find the bottoms of beer bottles make great arrowheads. And now I have another reason to empty them....lol

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Almost peed myself once, when I found an area that someone long ago had been knapping at, finding flakes and half finished points everywhere.
I would love to see a video of you knapping. I would love to try it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been considering doing a video or two, may just have to do that soon. I just dont like putting my face online, computers would explode and children would cry. But hey there are ways around this....

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the next one we do will be lashed with a bit of Para cord, I understand it shrinks when soaked in water. Will be a good project and sense we dont always have rawhide....

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any one else on this site love to find artifacts? We found a lot in Arkansas, I haven't went arrowhead hunting since moving to NM.
I spent a great deal of time as a kid digging through the caves of NC and Kentucky.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Nice to look at. I have been collecting Tools for the 1800's-1900's farming community. Tough and effective.
I look at it this way. Our family settled this land using them and did very well.
There is a limit on how barebones I will go

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spent a great deal of time as a kid digging through the caves of NC and Kentucky.
Agreed, I am about to start forging some broad axes based on some antiques I have from my great grandfathers things. Hewing axes especially…

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hears a nasty bit of business I made on a survival weekend. Sorry its not a great pic but I didnt even realize I had it..

Automotive tire Auto part Soil Recreation Rock

Reactions: Meangreen
1 - 20 of 51 Posts