Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Primitive Living Skills

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  longrider 
#1 ·
I'm curious as to how many people on here are familiar with any kind of Primitive Survival. Meaning, knowing how to live off of the land with absolutely no modern tools or conveniences, where the only tools you have or need are ones that you create from the land around you. That kind of thing. Is there anyone who is proficient with that skillset here?
Because I am and I know that it is incredibly vauable knowledge to have, especially in a SHTF scenario. But I don't see much discussion on it.

#2 ·
I'm no expert but with my work I have had training in flint napping, fire starting, and shelter building. I had a great class in cold weather survival in which we had to build a snow shelter, create fire, and snare wildlife with primitive snares. I agree it is great knowledge to have.

#3 ·
I used to do this all the time in my younger years. I can still find water, build a good shelter (to keep dry and warm) in conditions from desert to deep snow, build traps to get food, build a bow and arrows to go with it, flint napping if there are materials available, and how to use bone for tips if there is no flint. I can make string and rope, fish hooks (though I would rather use traps), and knives from different materials. I can build an oven from rock and clay and dig a decent latrine. I can make paper from many kinds of materials and even make a decent felt hat from fur and plant resins.
It would take me longer now and there are some things that I used to do that I would not likely attempt today but the skills are still there. Heck! I can even make a wood lathe and forge from what their is around me in a good location.

#5 ·
I'm good at sleeping on it, but like Prepadoodle said, I'd be real skinny and miserable, but I could probably do it. If not, that 's just more for everyone else!

#6 ·
I study it, but am in no way an expert. Skill and mastery are two different things I've learned. I been playing guitar for over 25 years, everyday, many times falling asleep with it in my hands lying back on my bed and head on the pillows. If left to having no tools I'll make due with the knowledge and skill I have, but can always have more. Doing so would mean I messed up bad though and didn't prepare very well, and was caught in a region so far out I had no choice. Afterall, America and lots of the world, regardless of the worst shtf, will still be a massive salvage yard.

#8 ·
I have spent a good bit of time studying and practicing such skills. I have in no way mastered any of them nor do I consider myself to be exceptionally proficient at them. That said, I feel I do have a better chance of survival than most if a situation ever presented itself where such skills were necessary. Todays modern term of primitive living is just as you posted. Bushcraft skills are similar to primitive living, but used more modern tools that can be carried with you such as saws, axes, and fire starters. I much prefer and would be better able to survive with my pack full of such "conveniences".

#9 ·
I think this is a valuable aspect of prepping. I'd say food and fire are the top two priorities in primitive living in the area where my BOL is. I'm reasonably sure I could build a trap for fish at my BOL. I'd like to master traps for land animals (dead fall traps, etc) and fire building. I also think I have found the soft wood required for a bow drill. I just need to find hard wood for the drill itself and then work it up from there.

Water would be reasonably simple. There is a spring up the hill which feeds a creek down the hill. Unless there is chemical poisoning or something else, stone boiling would probably be feasible (provided I master the fire building).

I've never gotten into flint napping, so I wouldn't know where to start there.

Grad school is about to heat back up for the last time. Maybe somewhere between graduation and my licensure exam/job hunting I can practice some of these skills more next spring/summer.

#10 ·
Scoutcraft, like Les Stroad said, from the beaches of any small island, to the highest mountain peaks, there is usually an abundance of trash around. in a post event, there will be more. I learned a little in the boyscouts, and I feel confident, but at the same time, I am never without a knife and a bic in my pocket, so I think ill be ok. By the way, welcome to the forum..look forward to learning from you..

#11 ·
I have some skills but not as much as I would like.... like others I would be skinny and miserable but I would survive along with my family.
I am hoping that in a SHTF scenario I can still use some modern tools with the help of a gasifier and a generator (still building the gasifier)

I can build all sorts of traps, start fires in many different ways but my concern is my health... I have bad legs, 10 bulging disks in my back and fibromyalgia which causes pain all over, even with the knowledge of how to survive.... can I actually do it? I sure hope so!

Doc

#12 ·
First summer camp my ole man sent me to was a survival camp. I was 12 years old, They required i take my 22 and a pocket knife with me. You learn a lot when you start going hungry. They feed you enough to keep you from starving but nothing extra. 6 weeks of hell is what i would have called it then.. But after all the other camps and courses i am glad my father started me young.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.