Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice that rice is going up in price? I got some 2 lb bags of brown rice a few weeks ago for $1.99 (regular price, no sale). Today I picked some up and they were $2.50 (regular price, no sale).

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Anyone else notice that rice is going up in price? I got some 2 lb bags of brown rice a few weeks ago for $1.99 (regular price, no sale). Today I picked some up and they were $2.50 (regular price, no sale).
prices on a lot of stuff has gone up 15-20%.
product sizes are shrinking without a corresponding drop in price.
do not long term store brown rice, it will go rancid. white rice only.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
prices on a lot of stuff has gone up 15-20%.
do not long term store brown rice, it will go rancid. white rice only.
Thanks for the tip. I was getting ready to start filling a 5 gallon bucket with brown rice for long term storage in the next couple of days.

Luckily I only have a few 2lb bags so far, so I will just have to start eating more brown rice over the next few months.

·
Administrator
14,873 Posts
Even white rice will grow rancid over time if not stored in air tight containers. My wife gets special food grade 5 gal buckets with a seal, plus she uses mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. We buy white rice by the 50# bag at the oriental grocery and store it this way.
For smaller amounts of fancy type rice she uses glass canning jars. We have a gas stove, and she will fill the jars with rice, set the lid on top without using the ring, and put these in the oven at a low temp of around 100 degrees. The air will expand but the low heat will not damage the rice. After 20-30 minutes she will screw the rings on, and presto we have a low tech version of semi-vacuum sealed jars.
Don't forget the very important step of putting your rice bags into the freezer for a couple of days before you store them to kill any little weevils that may be present.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to but in, but why do you need a food grade bucket if you put the food in a Mylar bag? Does the plastic leech through the mylar bag?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I store my rice vacuum sealed in food saver bags. The stuff I have set aside for longer term storage is in sealed Home Depot buckets. As long as you have the food in a separate bag, it doesn't matter if the bucket is food grade.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yes to this!!! I've noticed this with a lot of products. Things that used to be 40 ounces are 36 now. It's a very sneaky way producers increase price so that the sheeple don't notice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
We buy the 50lb bags of rice from Sams Club for around $17.00 we then by the mylar zip lock bags online and bag it up with an oxygen absorber and seal the end with an iron. Depending on the storage temperature this will keep between 15 and 30 years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My pantry log (yes, that anal retentive ) has seen the price of rice skyrocket from what it used to be. In the last three months I was paying about $1.25 for a 3 pound bag of rice at our local store. Now it's almost $4. The Walmart the next town over had the 15 and 20 pound bags for about .50c to about .75c a pound and now it's over $1.50.

It's concerning me since all I've heard is how good the rice crops out of Asia and Texas have been. I'm literally going to be on edge to hear how the coming crop is doing and weather for if it's rising this much in a good year........I don't want to even think about prices in bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts