Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHTF Survival: How to Prevent Infections | The Daily Sheeple

"Storing medical supplies, especially antiseptic is a must when planning for an emergency event where hospitals and other types of medical care will be difficult to access. We all know that accidents happen, but when they get infected then they become life threatening.

Those that are preparing for short term and long term disasters more than likely have begun stocking up on certain supplies, such as bleach, water and baking soda mainly due to their versatility. But did you know that when these three items are combined together, they create a powerful antiseptic that can save a life? This antiseptic, otherwise known as Dakin's Solution (diluted sodium hydrochlorite solution 0.5%) can be used to kill most bacterias and viruses.

This antiseptic was first discovered during World War I, when doctors on the battlefield were trying to find ways to kill germs and prevent bacterial related infections, such as gangrene and putrefaction from setting in. Doctors found that when they used Dakin's solution before and after surgical procedures and for wound irrigation the patient's condition improved. It was most beneficial after the wound had been adequately cleaned, and foreign material and dead tissue had been removed.
Uses For Dakin's Solution

Minor scrapes
Skin and tissue infections
Can be used before and after surgical procedures to prevent infection
Can be used as a mouth wash (should not be swallowed)
Used as a wound irrigator solution to clean wounds
Can be applied as a wet-to-moist dressing for wounds

Supplies Needed:

Sodium hydrochlorite solution at 5.25% (Bleach-unscented)
Baking soda
Clean tap water
Clean pan with lid
Sterile measuring cups and spoons
Sterile jar with a sterile lid
Label for jar to label antiseptic,date, time and discard date

To Make Solution:

1. Wash your hands well with soap and water.
2. Measure out 32 ounces (4 cups) of clean water. Pour into a clean pan and allow water to boil for 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
3. Using a sterile measuring spoon, add 1/2 tsp. of of baking soda to the water.
4. Measure the bleach according to the strength that is desired:

- For full strength - add 3 oz. bleach or 95 ml.
- For 1/2 strength - add 3 tbls. + 1/2 tsp. or 48 ml.
- For 1/4 strength - add 1 tbls. +2 tsp. or 24 ml.
- For 1/8 strength - add 2 1/2 tsp. or 12-14 ml.

5. Place the solution in a jar and close it tightly with a sterile lid. Cover the closed jar with tin foil to protect it from sunlight.
6. Throw away any unused portion of the antiseptic within 48 hours of use. This solution can be made up to a month prior to using and stored away.

According to WebMD, "The body's own wound-healing tissues and fluids can decrease the antibacterial effect of Dakin's solution. Therefore, this solution is often used only once daily for minor wounds and twice daily for heavily draining or contaminated wounds… Additionally, protect the surrounding healthy skin with a moisture barrier ointment (i.e. petroleum jelly) or skin sealant as needed to prevent irritation."

Additional Information on Dakins Solution

Delivered by The Daily Sheeple
- See more at: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/shtf-survival-how-to-prevent-infections_112013#sthash.1Q0E6Z3b.dpuf"

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
thanks for sharing, that's a good little one to remember

·
Registered
634 Posts
That old saying cleanliness is next to godlyness will go along way. Hygiene care is the next most important thing next to water. keeping your self healthy is what will really keep you alive.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Thanks Jess. That one got printed and goes into the 3-ring binder on medical.

Reactions: Casie

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I would compare SHTF to living in Europe somewhere between 1400 to the 1870's. The problem there was a complete lack of sanitation with a rapidly increasing population. Folks didn't wash their hands, feces and urine were thrown into the streets, it was tracked around, wound up in the markets where food was sold, processed and handled by people who didn't wash their hands, were sick etc; the water supply was contaminated causing dysentery. Plain old disgusting.

While I'm all for sanitary conditions, I think we have taken it too far in trying to eradicate every germ we possibly can, everywhere we go, with everything we do. I think our immune system and the ability to fight germs is being severely compromised because we are "too clean" and sanitary. Couple that with the over prescribing of anti-biotics and we are just a a bug, virus or infestation away from death in a SHTF scenario as we will have no way to fight back. It's like jogging five miles every day then entering a marathon. You're not ready, and neither is your immune systems.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
Thanks for the great tip!

Our bodies and minds are going to be under some extreme stress when things turn bad. This is going to make us less resistant to infection. Some of us are kind of hard-headed and will assume our bodies will combat infection as they do, now. We'd better listen to you and take the precautions outlined. Otherwise someone else is going to be using our supplies. :???:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Just a FYI
Put some super glue in your first aid kit, if you get an cut that is clean and not red or sensitive, pinch the skin together as it would look naturally and put super glue on it.

You would be amazed how fast it will heal.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Just a FYI
Put some super glue in your first aid kit, if you get an cut that is clean and not red or sensitive, pinch the skin together as it would look naturally and put super glue on it.

yea a lot of our local hospitals are using glue instead of silk stitches on wounds (apparently it's awesome)

only thing with superglue it evaporates when stored, and the time you need it, there is none left

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Super glue is an anaerobic glue. It hardens when you remove the air from it. If you were to vacuum package it you would have a tube of hard glue. The containers are made of materials that "breathe" and that is why you get the evaporation.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Just a FYI

Yep. Since my heart attack, I now take blood thinners and the day before Thanksgiving while cleaning some Salmon, I cut a finger pretty good and that is when I learned that I now bleed like a hemophiliac sitting in a warm bath on a hot summer day after running a marathon at a dead run. It just squirts out.

The cut wasn't "that bad", I've certainly had worse, but it took forever to get the bleeding to stop and it looked like I was dying. I told my wife "If you have any Superglue in your craft stuff, I could use it RIGHT NOW." The SG held everything together and after a couple of days, I didn't need a band-aid or anything else. Probably should have gotten stitches, but I hate them. Superglue works.

Excellent point M.R.!!!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Super glue is an anaerobic glue. It hardens when you remove the air from it. If you were to vacuum package it you would have a tube of hard glue. The containers are made of materials that "breathe" and that is why you get the evaporation.
you can slow the process using cold storage (fridge) but over time it will still disappear

Reactions: BamaBoy101
1 - 20 of 47 Posts