Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Why do they sweat as people mention?

2. What material, sealant, protection can you do prior to putting them in the ground?

3. Rust protection? Tar them?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wait, why are you burying stuff? what is it? Are you burying it so you can dig it up when needed? or burying it to avoid contamination from nuke radiation?

Is it foodstuff for a stash? If so, you can get food quality plastic containers, in various sizes, that should protect for at least a year without probs. Just rotate them out.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
metal things/ food/ addtional bob/ supplies/ ammo/ food mre, canned

dig it up when needed.

how long and how would you bury things to keep their integrity.

say you had to hump out and you were stripped of your bob...

·
Registered
116 Posts
metal things/ food/ addtional bob/ supplies/ ammo/ food mre, canned

dig it up when needed.

how long and how would you bury things to keep their integrity.

say you had to hump out and you were stripped of your bob...
Gotcha.. ok well, most of the non perishible stuff, bob, ammo is cool as long as needed, just make sure they are safe from the elements. So about 1-2 feet would be easily deep enough. Food needs to be together, and needs to be the type that is resistant to spoilage. MRE's, anything non perishable, crackers, even peanut butter(vac sealed) should last year easy, sealed in plastic food quality containers. Just prep replacements and rotate them out now and then, that way you can be sure its fresh when the time comes.

btw - your avatar pic is hot shotlady ;-) (any rules againt flirtn?) haha ;-)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Heck, i would just vacum seal it with my food saver. wrap it all up and place them in a sealed plastic container. probably last for 100 years...

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
hahaha i dont have no rules for flirtin. so long as you aint nasty.
wouldnt wanna upset my kids :)

i also read somewhere to bury your pvc pipe up and down so you can use posthole diggers and it upsets less of the area, and is less work.
i also read else where you could do it in water storage units and to bury it next to it as to make it look like water, or yikes! in yer septic tank.
whole new meaning to man, this mre tastes like shit!
but it says it only stores for a yr. so you have to eat shit through the yr to keep it rotated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
ewww... septic? I guess in a pinch that might be wise, but i think i would try elsewhere ...;-)
Most peeps are too stupid to really find anything that is "hidden in plain sight", so careful planning for location and easy accessiblity would be my first choice. I mean honestly, how long do you really need to hide stuff? if the SHTF doesnt happen for 20-30 years, well, gosh, im goona be too dang old to care. I want to plan for quick, easy supplies in an emergency. If a gang of buttheads take over my main supplies, i will slowly take them out , one at a time, until i get my main stuff back, commando style (if the situation presents itself)
if not, we are smart enough and skilled enough to get by, adapt, overcome.....;-)

·
Registered
116 Posts
hahaha i dont have no rules for flirtin. so long as you aint nasty.
wouldnt wanna upset my kids :)

i also read somewhere to bury your pvc pipe up and down so you can use posthole diggers and it upsets less of the area, and is less work.
i also read else where you could do it in water storage units and to bury it next to it as to make it look like water, or yikes! in yer septic tank.
whole new meaning to man, this mre tastes like shit!
but it says it only stores for a yr. so you have to eat shit through the yr to keep it rotated.
Nasty? I happen to be a gentleman, and I am highly offended by your suggestion that I could or would nasty .....(hehe just kidding)....I happen to ride a classic Harley and shoot a custom .45...pffht...nasty...pffht hurumpp pooh pooh..

hahahaha

·
Registered
285 Posts
Check with your local building inspection department for code requirements. Frost line depth is an important measurement for all construction sites.

Our little Mutual Assistance Group has been conducting some experiments with this situation for a few years. Here are some of the things we have tried and the results. Our primary goal was to determine the best method of burying firearms. Since firearms are expensive (and sometimes precious) we used steel reinforcing rods and steel pipes as our firearms. We thoroughly cleaned the steel items with wire brushes in angle grinders. We then applied gun oil exactly as we would with a real gun after a typical cleaning.

Luckily we have a Ditch Witch with several different width shovels and the digging part was a breeze. For all of our experiments a 6" wide trench was perfect. We also tried different depths.

We checked our experiments on two week intervals. We purposely left the soil loose so that digging up our stash was not too difficult. This may have some effect on our results but we could not cover all the possibilities with our un-official tests.

1. Wrapped inside heavy duty garbage bags and sealed with duct tape. We squeezed as much air out of the bags as possible.
Results: Failure - moisture (condensation) formed after only 6 weeks and the Remington gun oil did not protect the steel at all. Rust started between weeks 4 and 6.

2. Steel rod sealed in vacuum seal bag.
Results: Very good protection. No rust after 1 year. Vacuum bag seemed to start to get brittle after one year and although we had no failures we think that the freeze/thaw cycle could break the bag after a year in the ground. Burial below the frost line would reduce this situation. Or possible double bag thickness??? There was some slight condensation evidence on the interior of the pipe samples and at the tips of the rod samples. This is where the vacuum bag left a small air pocket.

3. Same as #2 above but with 2 changes . . . desiccant vials inserted inside the vacuum bag with the sample steel piece and heavy coating of 90W gear oil.
Results: Excellent. No rust, no moisture in voids, no corrosion or rust after 16 months. We think we could use a light gun oil instead of the heavy stuff.

We tried several other methods but the vacuum bags were without a doubt the best. We also have a few actual long guns in vacuum seal bags with desiccant inside the bags.

We have a few 8" x 8" square vinyl tubes that we went dumpster diving for at a recycle center. We struck it rich after last spring's tornado ripped through a town not far from here. They have had long 20 cu. yd. dumpsters sitting out for contractors to throw their vinyl siding into for recycling. One day when my neighbor was there he loaded his pickup full of these vinyl tubes. They are 10 ft' long and we have learned how to do vinyl welding to weld ends in the tubes to make them water-tight. We also made a bunch of slip-on caps for removal when needed.

Our final design on our underground stash is this . . .
1. Thoroughly clean the rifle or shotgun.
2. Apply a little extra oil on all surfaces.
3. Slide gun into a looooooong vacuum seal bag along w/desiccant pouches and suck the snot out of the bag before sealing. Yup, we used a ton of bag material.
4. Bury the 8" x 8" vinyl tube vertically in the ground and deep enough that the top of the tube is 24" below surrounding soil elevation.
5. Carefully slide the bagged gun down into the tube.
6. Carefully slide a vacuum seal bag of ammunition into the tube.
7. Apply silicone caulk to the slip-on cap and slip it on.
8. Fill hole with soil.
9. Drive a stainless steel rod into the ground on the north side of the tube. We made 18" long stainless steel rods with a 90° bend on top to drive into the ground. We can quickly find the stash with metal detectors. We could use metal detectors to detect the actual guns but by burying the guns vertically we reduce the magnetic "footprint" of the gun and it takes a little longer to find our stash that way. The SS rods work much better.

Remember to bury your stash in a location where flooding will NEVER be a problem. Also, if you are very stealthy and worry about "the man" using metal detectors to locate your stash, gather lots of old rusty, broken, and useless farm implement pieces of steel, cast iron, or any other metal parts. Bury them in a scattered pattern around your stash, but not too near. The military uses metal detection technology better than anyone else on earth and they can find the proverbial "needle in a haystack" better than we can find our own mouth. Sometimes decoys can work to discourage them from taking a closer look. I know I would get tired of digging up old tractor parts.

One more thing. Sometimes the best hiding spot is under your nose. But stay away from roads and driveways as they will most assuredly scan for IEDs along the sides and all over the surface of roadways. Hmmmm, IEDs, that a whole other topic. But not here.

Good luck - I hope this helps.

·
Registered
922 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts