Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our AC broke and we have been doing without since I can't afford to buy one right now. We have every fan one but if TSHTF and we have no electricity I am pretty sure we are going to die, LOL. We though about sleeping outside in the tent since when the sun goes down it is cooler but this is a real eye opener. Being older and not having AC just is miserable. I hope I die before the crap happens. I filled up the dogs little pool and sat outside with my feet in the pool drinking suntea. I try but am not sure if I can be like my relatives.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
You need to get some night air moving through the house.

1. On one end of the house, put some box fans in the windows blowing out.

2. On the other end, preferably the room you are sleeping in, put some box fans in the windows blowing in.

You will be amazed.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
If you can rig a colander up to sit higher than a bowl placed below it....fill it with ice and put a fan behind it (facing at you) and it will cool the air.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,630 Posts
Even if you don't have electricity, you can induce a draft through your home by following @KUSA's advice, even without the fans. Restrict airflow pathing by closing off rooms, creating a single stream of open air. The wind outside will do the rest as your home attempts to equalize the pressure difference. The tighter the openings, the stronger the draft. Play with it until you find the optimal flow rate. He's right, it will surprise you.

Cover all sun-facing windows with light-blocking material. Don't let any solar energy inside. If there is a section of your home that receives natural shade, try to stay in that area.

@Robie's "swamp cooler" idea is a good one too, especially on dry days.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Also, lay low in the house, if possible as heat rises.. I will open upstairs bathroom window, and window on the Non Sun side and nature does the rest. It takes a while, especially without fans, but it will start to cool after while.

Reactions: BennyMG1 and Auntie

·
Registered
198 Posts
Our AC broke and we have been doing without since I can't afford to buy one right now.
Exactly everything is so hopeless? What exactly is wrong with him? Was diagnostics?
It is possible that something can be fixed not very expensive without buying a new one.
I filled up the dogs little pool and sat outside with my feet in the pool drinking suntea.
If you have access to a car with air conditioning and a sufficient amount of fuel, you can cool there during the heat.
Of course, it is pre-close the windows of the car with a foil or reflective film.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That sucks. When I bought my house it didn't have central air. It never had it. It was built in 1942. It was built with huge windows on the main floor. Great for getting breezes thru the house. We tried window units for awhile but still sucked unless in the same room.
Would help just turning on the furnace fan and sucking up the cool air from the basement. It stays a constant 55°F down there year around.
Ended up getting central air installed a few years ago.

Where are you located at? Still have a few window units I could lend you if your local to me.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
As someone said earlier, whats wrong with it.
99% its fixable..
Neighbors went out, 13K is the quote to fix it.
Her husband was overseas, so 2 neighbors and I went over to see. Pan was full, drains were both clogged.
Used shop vac, sucked drains clean, and pan. Put some bleach in it, and rinsed it later. Voila, fixed. Nothing wrong. Just never serviced it. Ever.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A simple way to help manage with no AC, depending on your location on this earth, is when it is cooler outside (at night), open windows and use fans. In the morning, as soon as the temp outside begins to warm up, close all windows to keep the inside cool. However, once the inside reaches outside temp, you are going to suffer. And if you live where night time temps are in the 90's, you are out of luck. My sympathy goes out to you.

I grew up in south Texas, hot and humid, we did not have AC. During the hottest part of the day, we would hang out on a blanket under a shade tree -- it was cooler there than in the house. We had two fans, three bedrooms. My parents got the best fan. No squabbling about that. The other fan went to the back bedroom. At night, once the occupants of that bedroom with the fan went to sleep, the occupants of the front bedroom would sneak in and take the fan. Back and forth we went. I remember pushing my bed right up against the window and sleeping partly in the window for any breath of air.

If you can, wear cotton or better yet, linen, loose fitting, in light colors. No poly's! No tight fits. No black.

The house I bought three years ago, in Western Colorado at 6200' elevation, does not have AC. Does have a crawlspace. Moved here in the fall and when spring arrived, I was almost panic stricken because of the no AC. At least here it gets nice and cool at night, even in the dead of summer, down to the 60's. I keep everything closed up during the day and it stays under 75F. Open windows at night and use fans to circulate. So far, so good. I think the crawl space helps a lot.
Pan was full, drains were both clogged.
Used shop vac, sucked drains clean, and pan. Put some bleach in it, and rinsed it later. Voila, fixed. Nothing wrong. Just never serviced it. Ever.
^^^ This. Had this happen to me years ago.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was feeling pretty sorry for myself but the truth is we didn't have ac for years and I have gotten spoiled the last few years when we finally got one. I expected it to last longer then 2 lousy years. Just thinking about how my ancestors did it how much tougher then us they were. The dang ole guy doesn't seem bothered by the heat at all so it will be awhile before I nag him enough to work on this one and get it going.

Reactions: Annie

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was feeling pretty sorry for myself but the truth is we didn't have ac for years and I have gotten spoiled the last few years when we finally got one. I expected it to last longer then 2 lousy years. Just thinking about how my ancestors did it how much tougher then us they were. The dang ole guy doesn't seem bothered by the heat at all so it will be awhile before I nag him enough to work on this one and get it going.
Well, if the heat doesn't bother the ole guy, maybe something like, "Not now, honey, it's too hot," would get him moving? (Joke, sort of...)

Truthfully, when I wanted something done and my sweetie would procrastinate, I would suggest that maybe we needed a new tool to do that job?

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Well, if the heat doesn't bother the ole guy, maybe something like, "Not now, honey, it's too hot," would get him moving? (Joke, sort of...)

Truthfully, when I wanted something done and my sweetie would procrastinate, I would suggest that maybe we needed a new tool to do that job?

Or....."Listen up bub. I want the A.C fixed and I want it fixed now. Got it?"

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I have differing concerns, I set the thermostat for air too cold and my wife sets it for being too hot. I suppose complaining about the air-temp is better than sniveling about what candidate we should back...

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,647 Posts
You need to get some night air moving through the house.

1. On one end of the house, put some box fans in the windows blowing out.

2. On the other end, preferably the room you are sleeping in, put some box fans in the windows blowing in.

You will be amazed.
Yeah, plus if you have an attic fan, that's a beautiful thing on a summer night.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I don't have AC, so I've learned to chase the breeze, so to speak.

At night, leave your windows open to let in the cool night air. In the morning shut the ones facing the sun and cover those windows with drapes or blankets or whatever you have to block out as much light (heat) as possible.

Then as the sun shifts.......open the windows that are in shade & close the windows with sun. Basically at all times you are blocking all sun/heat from entering. Once the sun has gone down, then open it all up for the night.

If you have rocks or concrete driveway near the house, they hold the heat long after the sun. Hose it down when in the shade, the water will cool it and help create a little breeze.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well we have a small ac in the bedroom now so I can at least sleep comfortably. I have been busy the last few days because my uncle had surgery and died last night. Only 77 but in such terrible shape. My poor aunt is extremely heavy and I don't know how she will be able to do it without him. She can't take care of the farm or even mow the lawn since she uses a scooter. Most of the farm they rent out but she still have a massive yard. Sigh.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Most of the farm they rent out but she still have a massive yard. Sigh.

Sorry to hear this. For my "survivable" nieces and cousins we are now the remnants of "the family." Of course, that is if I can find them, or if they're still drawing a breath.

When I was a kid we were always trucked to every aunt, uncle and cousin that had to appear before a monsieur. It was like watching the entire Roman Empire appear in these huge churches in Milwaukee like we were waiting for angels. Of course, my father happily stated he was not a member of these church affairs. He even stated he was a "heathen."

I hope your aunt finds peace and consolation for her position. Does she have a noted saint to pray to?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts