Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I screwed up my first batch of veggies. What should I do?

Here's what I did: I bought frozen veggies at the produce market here (locally grown and I don't have my own garden). I prepared them and then filled my hot jars. I added boiling water to the required measurement. Because I mixed some of the veggies, I had to pressure can them for 90 minutes. They are all sealed! HOWEVER, the water level inside the jars is now much lower than what I put in there and I have veggies ABOVE the water line in the jar. AND my jar with green beans only has the beans floating to the top with all the water at the bottom. They may sink as it cools but for now, they are floating!

Here's what I think I did wrong....
1. Too many veggies per jar didn't leave room for enough water to cover well enough.
2. I cooked the veggies just enough to defrost them basically. I know they were blanched before frozen so I didn't think I needed to cook them for 5 minutes or so.

Using the pressure canner was much less scary than I thought it would be but I need to work on my measurements.

Anyone have this happen to them and what do I need to do differently?

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am a canning newbie too. I just used my All American for the first time tonight to make strawberry banana jam. I used it to do the hot water bath method. I am planning to make some pickled eggs and Kim chi this week too.

It sounds to me like you added to many veggies and not enough water but again, I'm a beginner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're right though. I was trying to get as many as I could in there but i didn't realize I'd lose water!?!

I'm using my All American for the first time tonight too. That's awesome! I love it already but I have to work these measurement kinks out before I do anymore.

It's really REALLY hard to find people who do this anymore. It's just so easy to go buy canned goods. I want to learn to do it to stock up on some things but also to know how to do it when I do have a garden and need to know how. That would be the wrong time to be a newbie ;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Robin, we are definitely on the same page - I'd rather make my mistakes now while I have plenty of supplies on hand and modern medicine at my disposal. For example: Tonight I didnt realize I had to wait for the jam to cool for the seal to be complete. I wasted about 12 lids and 2 hours of my time reprocessing jam that probably would have sealed had I let it cool properly. This is why it's important to be learning the skills now. It's not a life or death situation if I blow through 12 lids.

I started with jam tonight. I plan to do some fermentables next week including kraut and kim chi. Then some spaghetti sauces and salsa. Then finally work my way into meats.

Something else you might want to consider, Robin, is learning hwo to forage for food in your area. It's a skill you can use to barter with people who don't have that knowledge. You can also can the edibles you harvest.

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
You 2 are far, far ahead of me, I still need to buy the rest of the tools.

Our local Pamida had them for 20% off, I waited until they 30% off, but then they were gone before I got there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check this lady out. She is always more than willing to help with any questions. Canning Homemade!

She also has a facebook page which she fills with great info and post pics of newbies and their newly found hobby. Search SB Canning on Facebook.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't you hate when that happens!?!

You 2 are far, far ahead of me, I still need to buy the rest of the tools.

Our local Pamida had them for 20% off, I waited until they 30% off, but then they were gone before I got there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Floating beans and lower water levels are not going to effeft the safety of the foods as long as you processed them for the correct time and temp. The waterloss could come from several different factors lik; Over packing the jars with food, improper headspace, Opening the pressure canner (letting the pressure a little at a time by lifting the weight yourself) before it depressurizes on its own will pull the juice out (We've done this and the beans were still good), are few ways you can lose juice in the jars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts