Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen this posted although I can't imagine it hasn't been discussed before.

What are you doing to secure a long term supply of your perscription meds? You need a script to get them and the insurance companies will only let you have a months worth, or 90 days if it's a generic. A lack of these drugs would be at least an annoyance, if not life threatening in some cases. I've done some research and haven't found many options. This one has me puzzled!!!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Haven't seen this posted although I can't imagine it hasn't been discussed before.

What are you doing to secure a long term supply of your perscription meds? You need a script to get them and the insurance companies will only let you have a months worth, or 90 days if it's a generic. A lack of these drugs would be at least an annoyance, if not life threatening in some cases. I've done some research and haven't found many options. This one has me puzzled!!!
it comes down to what type of prescriptions and how long it can be stored. As for meds, many prescription antibiotics can be purchased without a prescription for fish or pets. With some prescriptions a holistic approach may be utilized. Talk with Oddapple about some alternatives.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Some insurance companies will allow you to buy from companies that will mail a 4-6 month supply. with this you will have a nice supply for a short time. I also know that doctors will often allow you to have "extra on hand" in the event you can not get to a pharmacy to get your supply. You should ask your MD about this. Most will allow as much as an extra 2 weeks but you may have to pay out of pocket.
I have heard of people skipping doses of meds or using half as much in order to stock pile but would not recommend this for medications such as for thyroid, heart disease, or diabetes.
If you use things like pain meds you can adjust your dosing sometimes to spread out what you use and be able to bank up some extras.
Also, there are a lot of meds that can be purchased in other ways such as at the local feed stores, or from people traveling to and from mexico. you will again have to pay out of pocket but if you depend on these meds I would think it worth the cost. My sister gets her asthma meds from mexico and buys by the case full and pays a fraction of the price of a script here in the states.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Some insurance companies will allow you to buy from companies that will mail a 4-6 month supply. with this you will have a nice supply for a short time. I also know that doctors will often allow you to have "extra on hand" in the event you can not get to a pharmacy to get your supply. You should ask your MD about this. Most will allow as much as an extra 2 weeks but you may have to pay out of pocket.
I have heard of people skipping doses of meds or using half as much in order to stock pile but would not recommend this for medications such as for thyroid, heart disease, or diabetes.
If you use things like pain meds you can adjust your dosing sometimes to spread out what you use and be able to bank up some extras.
Also, there are a lot of meds that can be purchased in other ways such as at the local feed stores, or from people traveling to and from mexico. you will again have to pay out of pocket but if you depend on these meds I would think it worth the cost. My sister gets her asthma meds from mexico and buys by the case full and pays a fraction of the price of a script here in the states.
I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and they don't allow this unless I pay for the prescription out of pocket. Don't purchase meds from Mexico because you never know what you're getting and you need a prescription for whatever you purchase. People think of Mexico as a candy store for prescriptions and that just isn't the case.

Let me clarify, filling your prescriptions in mexico with medication that you're prescribed is perfectly legal. Going down and getting prescriptions that you're no longer prescribed or is a control substance in the US is of course illegal. As for the pharmacies in Mexico, just because he/she is wearing a lab coat doesn't mean their a pharmacist. Most are not and mistakes are made. When I worked down on the border in San Diego I would have people come over to me after filling prescriptions complaining that their medication is incorrect or is out date and expect me to do something about it. It's a foreign country without regulations or safe guards.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and they don't allow this unless I pay for the prescription out of pocket. Don't purchase meds from Mexico because you never know what you're getting and you need a prescription for whatever you purchase. People think of Mexico as a candy store for prescriptions and that just isn't the case.

Let me clarify, filling your prescriptions in mexico with medication that you're prescribed is perfectly legal. Going down and getting prescriptions that you're no longer prescribed or is a control substance in the US is of course illegal. As for the pharmacies in Mexico, just because he/she is wearing a lab coat doesn't mean their a pharmacist. Most are not and mistakes are made. When I worked down on the border in San Diego I would have people come over to me after filling prescriptions complaining that their medication is incorrect or is out date and expect me to do something about it. It's a foreign country without regulations or safe guards.
Things must have changed, 15 years ago you could just point to the bottle on the shelf and buy it.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Things must have changed, 15 years ago you could just point to the bottle on the shelf and buy it.
You still can but their might be a federali waiting outside the pharmacy to check your prescription. You don't have one and you get to go find out what happens inside a Mexican prison while the federali's empty your bank account. Everything is legal inside the pharmacy, not so much outside. Most tourists looking for example, steroids will buy the product within the pharmacy and go into a spare room in the pharmacy which is called a "shooting gallery" and administer the drugs themselves so they don't leave with anything. Crossing the border you must 1. declare your purchase. 2. have a prescription for the medication if it is not over the counter medication.

Here is some interesting info:

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/health/a/mexicodrugs.htm

·
Registered
900 Posts
pretty much the same Jim.... if you know what medications you need and know someone going or can go yourself you can walk into a pharmacy and get what you want. we have never had an issue getting what we purchased back home. Nobody has ever questioned it.
As for it not being the correct medication? Haven't had that problem either. you can look up any pill on your smart phone and see if it is the correct medication before you even leave the store. There are several pill identifiers on the internet.

I would agree with MG in that you should not go with the intent of picking up a bunch of medications that you shouldn't be taking. Any type of narcotic pain med would raise the suspicions of anyone since these are a prized commodity of illegal drug users. Nobody is going to question you getting your BP meds or like in our case medications (pills, inhalers) to treat allergies and asthma. Birth control pills are another one we get for a song a years supply at a time.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Go to Mexico.
Buy drugs.
Smuggle them home.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
there is a reason drugs/meds are restricted

you can build up a stockpile of some... but there are natural alternatives...

if your life depends on a certain drug... well you can attempt to get a small stockpile with a convincing letter from the doctor (here anyway) but you have to use them before you can get a resupply....

Reactions: Meangreen

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The answers depend on the drugs and the person. Prescription drugs can be stockpiled to a certain extent. Drugs are still good one year after expiration. Then some begin to noticeably "fade away", some go flat quickly, some last a remarkably long time. So you have:
1) Stockpiling adequate amounts of commercial drugs (good for at least two years)
2) Stockpiling drug replacements and substitutes. A replacement does the job equally or better after a similar fashion. A substitute is used when the target drug or replacement is not available, does a similar enough job after a similar or non similar fashion to protect the pt even if different rules apply.
3) Manufacturing crude and refined drugs from primary materials ie wood ear mushrooms are a replacement for coumadin, but dosing is set at every other day unless cotting is severe. They do not need to be processed in any way, simply dried and stored.
B) digoxin can be produced in raw, crude and refined form from the foxglove. When starting with RAW plant material, the dose is 1/10th of 1 gram. Pt is monitored and dose adjusted accordingly.

- Oyster mushrooms = lovastatin but may require additional cholestrol lowering foods in some people to reach comparative level of effectiveness
- Combinations of plants/mushrooms replace or substitute for diabetic medications. Glucose is lowered, insulin sensitivity is increased and insulin resistance decreased in one popular protocol to maintain safe bg levels.
- Breathing medicines occur in nature and can be produced in raw, crude and refined form to replace or substitute for commercial drugs
- Sedatives and analgesics occur in nature and can be produced in raw, crude and refined forms

These are just a few examples to illustrate. Generally speaking, naturally occurring drug forms are absorbed/assimilated better by the body and in many cases are much healthier to use than highly refined drugs. All medics and who ever has pressing need should know where to start ahead of time and be prepared for any contingency the best they can. Many things are easier than you'd think, some not so easy but I like to think to keep looking because surely G-d left it right there in front of us if only we were less bullhead and blind. Ahaha!

Knowing where any particular drug comes from is your first step in assessing how you will maintain supply.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
oddapple, do you know of any quick reference "bible" with that information?? it will make it onto my wishlist... (books like that, are gold in my eyes)

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I can't name one "all reference" but There are a few - North American Drug Plants, The Merck Manual in some cases, the Physicians Desk Reference, Making Plant Medicines by Richo Chech - there is a lot of information out there, it is in your google terms. There are also free databases like GreenMedInfo | Alternative Medicine | Vitamin Research | Natural that have cross referencing tools. It may not be in one, but will be in another and information on the same thing will be more detailed. Some of them are online free to download.

Ha! Hey I wasn't paying attention! You might want to check out "Aboriginal People and Their Plants" by Phillip A. Clarke and "Australian Medicinal Plants" by E.V. Lassak & T. McCarthy. For things more specific to your region :)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Reactions: MikeyPrepper

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
My meds are mostly immunosuppressives and bp.I can have a 90 day supply.if something bad goes down (I hope not)I die a painful death in about 4 months due to rejection.unless I am forced to go to my plan 'b.' so, everybody, you need to take care of your health.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm on two different blood pressure control meds plus I need albuterol (nebulizer and inhaler) due to asthma. I haven't had an attack in years but always need to maintain. You just have to explain your situation to your doctor. When I was getting ready for a trip out of the country, my doctor wrote me a prescription for a 13 month supply of my meds. Two of the meds were cheap enough that I just paid cash. The other two, my MD helped me get my insurance company to pick up the tab for mail order. Often doctors will help you with some samples, as well.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Talk to your Dr.
Explain your plans and concerns. He/she may work with you, if not try another Dr.
Some understand the plan.
There are other options too.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I recommend talking to your doctor about your precautions to be prepared. I know of people who have meds that they might need because their doctor is willing to trust them.
I am in a position that I have just changed doctors due to the move and I don't feel that we have the report to mention a store of meds. I will slowly bring her along so she knows that she can trust me enough to provide meds and instructions for our storage system. Doctors that have been burned by abusers are hard to convince so it will take time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.