Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I inventoried my home to see what types of preps that I already have on hand. Luckily, my wife is a prepper because she lives by the motto of 2 is one and one is none. She strongly believes in back ups, not for the sake of "prepping", but rather she hates to shop. By perusing the contents of our cabinets, I was able to put together a pretty solid Get Home Bag for my truck. I got all of the obvious things, medical supplies, clothing...My question is, does anyone have any "outside the box" uses for common household items that people generally overlook?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Q-Tips for applying ointment, oil or grease. Sometimes I even clean my ears with them.

Moisten them with alcohol and they make a good fire starter , when you have a spark or flame.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, this is the kind of tip that I am looking for!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Cotton balls covered with Vaseline make great fire starters, so does toilet paper tubes stuffed with dryer lint. Extra feminine pads are great wound dressings. Take candles when you blow them out stick the tip of wooden matches into the melted wax to waterproof them. There are many many things like this.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great stuff. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I've saved dryer lint for years and used it to create outdoor camp fires - good stuff.

Years ago when I became unemployed it became necessary for me to cut living expenses
as much as possible. That meant gardening - which can be done almost anywhere. Right
now I'm contemplating an aquaponics system and I think I have figured out how to do it
on the cheap - real cheap. Still got to buy a few things though - even in gardening you
need seed, soil, tools, and such.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Tampons are excellent for starting fires.
A little chapstick on the fibers helps also.
Most have a plastic wrapper which keeps them dry.
[some have paper still]

Funny little story.....
I found a tube of chapstick someone dropped in a parking lot.
When I picked it up, my Grandson said...."that's nasty, you don't know
where their mouth has been".....
When we got home, I grabbed a tampon [which really got his goat]
and put some chapstick on some fibers that I had 'him' pull apart......
flicked a few sparks...and voila !
He took that info to Boy Scouts.....and even got a merit badge for it.

Reactions: Watercanlady

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff,Ozo!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Q-Tips for applying ointment, oil or grease. Sometimes I even clean my ears with them.

Moisten them with alcohol and they make a good fire starter , when you have a spark or flame.
Love this suggestion. I know whenever I sleep in a tent outisde I wake up and my ears feel terrible from the moisture. Totally forgot about this until you mentioned it now :) Putting some in my BOB bag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts