Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make a thread to ask for some advice as I am still new to this. I have what I call, " Minor Setbacks." These setbacks are keywords for what I am about to tell you. I have eyeglasses, seems easy enough. But who is going to make you glasses if SHTF? Do you know an optometrist that is going to be at your beckon call? I am just wondering what a few tips would be for me to use as I my personal care. Anything could happen to them and make me worthless without my vision. So any tips would be very appreciated. ( Note: I do not have the money to go out now and buy multiple pairs. Another "Minor Setback" would be animals. This also strikes me as a very hard subject in the matter of what to do. I care for my dogs so much and they are my family. I would never be able to leave them behind and live with myself. So here I am asking for help yet again on what to do in this situation. Now I know that I am not the only person that has animals but, I have so much love for these dogs that are the same as humans to me. Over the years I have become attached to them and separation would be bad. I am working on setting up my vehicle for fast transport but if I am not ready in time what do I do with them? If you made it this far in my rambles I hope I don't strike you as a pathetic psychopath about animals. But this is how I truly feel about the subject and I feel I can talk with people on here as they have made me feel comfortable so far. I wanted to thank you for reading and as always any suggestions are good suggestions. God Bless.

Derek

·
Registered
44 Posts
For glasses, my strategy has been to never throw any out. I'm very lucky in that I have the resources to get an updated prescription and 2 new (cheap) pairs every couple of years, but once I've done that, I still keep my old ones. I've got about 6-8 pairs at varying levels of usefulness.

Your dogs can actually be an asset, especially if they're big dogs, if you train them right. A well-trained guard or hunting dog could be a life-saver. A dog in good shape fitted with a carrying harness can be handy too. (Have it carry emergency first aid and something with which to call for help = alleviate a lot of worry about getting injured in an isolated area, as long as your dog responds to "Here boy!") I wish I had the space for a dog; I'd get a big one and train it up properly as a guard and attack dog.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well ZGF, my girlfriend chose small dogs, I have 3 Toy Poms. So I don't know if they will be that good at hunting or guarding :) But I do appreciate the kind words and advise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know how you feel about your animals. I have three dogs myself and they are my children. They are early warning systems and sound ferocious even tho they are poodles. At least your little ones are small enough not to eat tons of food that you would have to store. That's a plus.
Keep those nails trimmed tho. Poms nails grow fast and tend to curl, leading to all kinds of foot problems, leg issues and sore tendons. make up a pet fierst aid kit for when there is no vet.
Give them raw meaty bones to keep the tartar under control, starting now. Little dogs seem to develop more tooth problems from eating softish food. They are still dogs and they want MEAT and Bones instinctivly. NO COOKED bones tho. RAW. marrow bones are good. :)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..who is going to make you glasses if SHTF?
Dogs-I am working on setting up my vehicle for fast transport but if I am not ready in time what do I do with them?..
I wear glasses too and I've also got a pair for reading. I've got a spare pair of each, so if I were you I'd make sure you had spares too..:)
In fact I once used a cheap (5 GB pounds/ 8 US dollars) store-bought pair for reading for a while and they were fine, so if money's a problem you could try picking up the same sort of cheap pair, they come in long and short-range viewing versions, so try on a few in the store to see if you're comfortable with them.

As for pets, I haven't got any, but if i had i'd never abandon them, just as you wouldn't. Couldn't you just put your dogs on the back seat of your car, there's no problem is there?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lorie, thanks for the kind words and all the tips. I will have to work on them a lot more and start prepping them as well :)

Lucky Jim, thank you as well, the glasses is something I am starting to work on. I could maybe buy a pair of the goggles that are prescription that are flexible and are built to last. And as for my dogs I have a plan to stop and pick up my other family members close to me and get the BOL so I would have no room for errors. So I need to work on that. But thanks again both for the very kind words. Truly means a lot to me.

Derek

·
Registered
99 Posts
Since about age 9 to 23 I had the same problem and I had always done just this;

For glasses, my strategy has been to never throw any out. I'm very lucky in that I have the resources to get an updated prescription and 2 new (cheap) pairs every couple of years, but once I've done that, I still keep my old ones. I've got about 6-8 pairs at varying levels of usefulness.
due to the fact I played lots of sports/farm/ranching work and such, I was constantly going through glasses. I even had some heavy duty sports goggle glasses that I wore for foot ball and riding horses. I got contacts when i was 20 and lasik eye surgery when I was 23, Best thing I every did. I still have all my old glasses (don't know why)as does my wife (lasik too) and she keeps them but has the idea of taking them to the good will store. She sees lots of old glasses there. they may just be reading glasses but it may worth a try. Now our sons needs glasses so we will begin to save all his old ones as he grows.

If you don't have one already, get a precision tool kit that has really, really small screw drivers and plyer set to make repairs. Find small screws from old sunglasses and such and keep them with the kit. Keep in you BOB. You may look into safety glasses that slip over your glasses, as added protection, maybe even goggles that do so (you know to keep the zombie blood from getting in your eyes). Always be on the look out for cheap sunglass frames similiar shape to your glasses. Keep a small file and tube of super glue in the kit too. I once broke my frames on a week long camping trip out in the middle of nowwhere and when the super glue fix just wasn't holding up, I made the frame from a pair of sunglasses someone had with them work. I had to file some of the frame in places and some of the lens in other places and along with some super glue I got them to fit and made the rest of the trip. I also had to use sunglass frame parts for repairs to my glasses, like I said screws, nose pieces and ear frames.

Bottom line however, always keep your old ones and get hard cases for them. If you are already doing so, then you are farther ahead for doing so.

·
Registered
99 Posts
ur Welcome, now that is only for frame breakage. I have never had to deal with lens breakage, I can't imagine how I could not with all the abuse my eye wear took when I was younger.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blaze, you made some terrific points. I am going to have to start one myself. I will keep it in my car of course. But thanks for the tips :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have rubber "balloon" style boots for my girls. Bought from the pet store in case of a cut foot.
For your poms, you could look for them in a smaller size but really they are only BALLOONS. Buy a pack for your first aid kit. I guess be careful of the size you buy, you wouldnt' want the end to cut off circulation, but the ones in the pet store are expensive!
My little poo has a shoe box full of boots, get some and let them walk around the house in them to get used to. Even if they will not need to walk anywhere , soft boots will keep their feet and legs warm. Your little double coaters probably won't need sweaters.:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have rubber "balloon" style boots for my girls. Bought from the pet store in case of a cut foot.
For your poms, you could look for them in a smaller size but really they are only BALLOONS. Buy a pack for your first aid kit. I guess be careful of the size you buy, you wouldnt' want the end to cut off circulation, but the ones in the pet store are expensive!
My little poo has a shoe box full of boots, get some and let them walk around the house in them to get used to. Even if they will not need to walk anywhere , soft boots will keep their feet and legs warm. Your little double coaters probably won't need sweaters.:)
I am starting to look more into things like this, thanks for your feedback it truly does help me. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts