Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Registered
2,588 Posts
Water, don't forget about your water heater. 30-40 gallons available
Don't forget soap, cleaning supplies, and bleach (unscented). Can also be used to purify water.
Cleanliness will be critical to ward off infections and such--

· Registered
354 Posts
I go along with the WASR idea with the exception that I duracoated mine. The original finish sucks. The least bit of moisture and it rusts. I keep an RRA with a 16" barrel and a scope for intermediate (150-250 yds.) and a Remington 700 sps tactical with a vortex viper scope and a better stock for 250-500 yds. I live in WV so that is all that I need

· Registered
2,840 Posts
If I were doing the gun thing again and going to invest in more weapons specifically for bugging out ot what ever along those lines here is what my selections would be and why...

1. Defensive handgun in 45 ACP, preferably in the form of a 1911. Why? Hell this combo is even legal in Bloombergville (New York). If your going to be limited to 7 rounds or even 10 for that matter why not shoot the biggest thing you can throw at someone thats reasonably powerful, controllable but still packing some serious bullet frontal area. Even with non expanding ammo its going in a 1/2 inch and diameter and its going to come out at least a half inch in diameter. If you have ever had to shoot someone whos is shooting back at you and your using a M9 and ball ammo youd be able to truly relate to that last sentence!

2. Second in my selection would be a AR-15. Yeah its not the hardest hitting thing out there on the market and there are those with an ego to feed that will prefer the M1A or AK but if you do your part this gun will definitely do its part out to 300 yards on soft targets. Does it suck for shooting at barricaded suspects, yeah! But it can still put the thrill back in death either way you slice it. With its light recoil accurate aimed rapid fire is quiet possible for even the modestly trained individual. Unlike a M1A even women or your teenage daughter can get real good with an AR in minutes of some quality training. The gun itself is truly a platform weapon allowing you to modify it to a wide variety of rolls from a short barreled CBQ gun to a precision prarrie poodle shooter out to 300 plus yards with a 24 inch bull barreled version. Dont impress you...then you try hitting a 12 ounce soda can out to 300 yards in variable winds and get back with me on how you did. Most will miss more than they hit and wont do any better with a 300 turbo uber mag chambered rifle. Yes I like the AK, SKS, M1A, M1 Garand, FAL's and several others and they definitely have their place in life, but be honest with yourself an AR in one form or another will suffciently pick up the check most of the time you have any business divying out hostile fire.

3. A 22 Long Rifle rimfire of one flavor or another. Personanlly for me this would be a revolver or possibly even a bolt action for its ability to digest any load I can chamber from CB caps to shotshells. I prefer the handgun due to its concealability. Yes its harder to shoot at distance accurately but how many cotton tails have you had to shoot at 100 yards? My Ruger Single Six goes camping with me and I long ago lost count of the number of Tree Rats and Cottontails its put on the table...usually inside 25 yards! If you cant do that too, you suck and need to spend a lot more time at the range getting in some quality practice. Ammo is dirt cheap compared to anything else and its way more potent than even a 22 cal air rifle.

4. Here is where I part company with many in opinions. Most at this point would default to a shotgun. No me. Give me a good accurate bolt action in a good effcient cartridge such as the 308 Winchester. It has modest recoil, modest ammo cost and plenty of power for anything other than large dangerous game with bullets from 147 grs to 180 grs. With some practice there is no reason why you cant "OWN" the next 600 yards of realestate! Yes I love my 7mm and 300 Win Mag and I would love to own a M107 in 50 cal BMG, but 9 times out of 10, I can ruin your day well enough with my Remington 700 VLS in the "Ho-Hum" 308 should it be neccessary.

5. Here is where I would roger up to a 12 guage shotgun and here I prefer pumps due to their reliability and the ability to keep the action empty and safe, but quickly be brought into action. I prefer rifle sights over a bead too for defense purposes. I would seriously consider a model that comes with a 18-20 inch barrel and one that comes with a longer 26-28 inch barrel and interchangable chokes on both barrels!

Like it or not, agree or disagree there is what LFI would pick and why. Those arent the only reasons for my choices just the condensed cliff notes version.

· Registered
161 Posts
I stick to 12 ga, .22, 9mm, 5.56, .38 / .357 and you cant forget about a Mosin and a couple of spam cans of 7.62 x 54r surplus ammo. Most of the calibers are extremely common, except for the Mosin, but they are two cheap to pass up. These calibers should cover most areas in personal defense and most hunting of small to large game.

· Registered
354 Posts
Yeah. And it's like buying a 200.00 tactical flashlight and an eotech for prepping purposes. Hard to find batteries when people are cleaning out stores. Plus makes the weapon heavier. Not that I have a weapon, mind you. lol

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.