Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
9,222 Posts
hi guys. New to the forum and eager to begin communicating with fellow preppers. What guns do you have and why? This may have been addressed in an earlier thread and if so, please guide me to that thread. I have an m1a scout and an m1a super match, a dpms a4 (5.56), an 870 assault 12 ga., a 7mm remington magnum, an a7 .22 survival rifle, a romanian ak47, a glock 20 (10mm), and a witness hunter in 10mm. Bug out would include the 12 ga., scout m1a, and both pistols and the a7. Any thoughts?
get rid of the 10 mm pistols and get either 45acp or 40 cal ones. 10mm is not that popular and expensive.
Plus the service life of of the pistols is a lot less due to the sever pounding they take.
I would take one pistol and the equivalent of weight in rifle ammo for the other.
If you can afford to keep them then do so. Odd calibers do not make for good shtf weapons.
The prime rounds are 30/06, 7.62x51, 7.62x39, 5.56, 9mm, 45acp, 40cal, 22lr, 12ga, 38/357.
I would concentrate more on food and ammo stores.

· Registered
311 Posts
^^^^spotter sniperr good but what happens if one is hurt killed or you cant make the hook up? plan for that but be ready just in case. get your own spotter scope,
ammo,and be ready run dig in or what ever happens. i am putting a12 ga in mommas truck, for a ghb, a gun in both my girls cars, in their ghb, but GOD FORBID!!!
WE cant hook up then what.?

Everybody try to get home, after that dig in and wait. but the rule is after a time passes or you must move out!!!!! MOVE LEAVE WORD, as to the next meet up point.
then wait if you can, but after that survive evade escape. that is the way it is...
THEN FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!! SORRY for the rant, but imho kiss keep guns in popular cal. because one can only carry so much. weapons ammo food first aid, or just stay
and make a stand, thats what what i have to do stand, cause i cant run,
And come to think of it at the end of the day i can meet my GOD AND BE OK. RUNNING IS OUT

· Registered
9,222 Posts
i am thinking about getting a mosin nagent and have a two man sniper team with me being the sniper and my brother being spotter/security.is this a good idea or a bad idea?i would like to know.
Lets start with your choice of firearm, wrong, for you stated purpose. ammo available for the Nagant 7.62x54 is of poor quality, about Minuit of man at best.,
I know they are cheap, good for a secondary defensive roll for limited budgets for rear area personnel.
if you want a bolt gun, get a Savage or a Remington in 308 win. plenty of match grade ammo out there.

I hope you have scout sniper training, otherwise you are waisting you time and maybe you life. military and hunting experience will help.
by your choice of weapon you show lack of experience in the field of long range, covert shooting.
I have been through police sniper training (swat counter sniper) and special forces sniper school training at ft devens 10th sf sotic school.

I am not berating you, if targets are out at distances greater than 300 yds, leave them alone unless the are headed directly towards you.
I trained with the m25 sniper rifle, this type is what you need for multiple targets, not a bolt gun and at the 300 yd range is ideal.
The objective is to survive not play John Wayne and get killed. avoid all firefights if possible.

· Registered
26 Posts
I only have a few handguns at the moment but I chose them for the ammo availability and options. I come over from the Ruger forum so I am fond of those. So far I've got a Ruger LCR 357 for a ccw choice that shoots .38, .38+P or .357. Next is the SR22 and while a .22 LR isn't a defense round it would work for small game. Next choice this month is the SR9c which shoots a 9mm that I will use for another concealed carry choice. I like the 9mm because it is an international round that is readily available.

Just started reloading and you can get a lot of rounds from just a few pounds of powder and some primers and some lead.

· Registered
240 Posts
Sorry I sold all mine and sent the money to Barry O, I don't need no stinking guns just a gravel flipper and a pile of rocks. Now that I got all that sarcasm out of the way, if I were to have any guns I would have some .45's min. 500 rounds, some .22 lR min 1000 rounds, and a good scope probably a 12 gauge with 500 min. shells and I may even have a XD .40 with 1000 rounds. If this were me it would be the lowest round count ever, but it's not.lol By the way my 88 year old papaw killed many a animal with a gravel flipper and ball bearings.

· Registered
436 Posts
I have side arms for both my wife and I in suitable calibers. As for long guns I have a pair of shotguns 20 and 12 ga. My rifles are a Rossi 92 in 45 colt and a Rossi Rio Grande in 45-70. I reload 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 45-70 and both shotgun calibers with a stock pile good for at least a year perhaps more of all calibers I use with various bullets and powder to fine tune for particular need. I never saw the need for semi autos rifles like the AR or AK platforms as I really don't see and invasion or zombi up rising in my lifetime.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Some good advice ! I appreciate it. I have planned to bug in until my food/water stores run out, then hit the road to the hills of NE Iowa where I grew up. I believe I could hide the wife and dog indefinitely there. also have brothers htere who are preppers and are both well equipped and stocked. I can live off the land if needed, i.e. plenty of fish in the Mississippi, small game in the hills and places to hide I am sure no one else has knowledge of. I will keep the 10mm pistols as I have reload capabilities and plenty of primers and powder and a s**tload of ammo already loaded. I took the 10mm Witness Hunter boar hunting and was amazed at the knockdown power of a 10mm 200gr. reload. Like SA says, "Bring enough gun!"
Thank you to all who welcomed me to the forum and good luck with your prepping.

· Registered
8 Posts
I have a mosin, a few wheel guns and buying an AR...will reload for all of them, good thing about the mosins is those spam cans of ammo last forever if kept dry.

· Registered
13 Posts
30-06 w/3-9 variable scope, 12 ga with slugs, fine shot, and 00 buck(for the 2-legged varmints), several handguns mostly in 9mm and .40 cal. Lots of ammo for all of them is a must. If the SHTF you will need sufficient ammo to keep the vermin away for several weeks until order can be restored, assuming it can be, and especially necessary if folks find out you have supplies of food and water & they don't. Now, with the firearms out of the way, you have to have enough food and fresh water to get you by for at least a month if you are holed up at home. I have 2 generators-one baby one, and a larger 4500W electric start that's good for 14 hours/tank. I have enough gasoline on hand to run both for 2 weeks almost continuously. Several Coleman lanterns with several gallons of white gas, and 6 LP tanks to use with sunflower heaters which can double as stovetop cookers. I also have a hand-crank portable radio, and a dual band VHF/UHF portable Ham radio should the cellphone grid fail. I have a large roll of clear plastic to cover the windows should they get broken because up here in the north woods cold winter weather is extreme. Food: we buy items by the case during sales and we have also stocked up on dehydrated food, but remember that if you buy dehydrated food you have to have adequate water to process it. Several cases of bottled water is a good investment too but if the SHTF you can always use the water in your toilet tanks. A water purifier would be a handy thing to have around. You can live 3 days without water and about 3 weeks without food so plan accordingly. Most canned goods have a "sell-by" date but will last years longer on your shelf. Dehydrated stuff has a shelf life of 5-10 years or longer. Now would be a good time to learn how to can veggies and meat. Those canned items can last indefinitely if sealed properly. That's about all for now. Don't ask where I am because when the SHTF it will be every man for himself and I only have room, food & ammo for my own family. Good luck and lets hope we never need this stuff.
Almost forgot....medical supplies to include large gauze pads, tape, sutures,scissors, betadine, syringes and injectable penicillin, blood stopper & alcohol. Most of these things can be found at local veterinary supply stores, and although the labels say "for animal use only", they are safe for humans & when the SHTF it won't matter much & it may just keep you alive.

· Registered
989 Posts
I would definitely put a .22 rifle and ammo in the mix. Ammo's cheap and relatively light weight and I promise you there's been more food put on the table with a .22 than any other caliber. Navy SEAL buddy of mine says his ultimate zombie rifle is a .22, bull barrel and 3x9 scope. That's good enough for me.

· Registered
13 Posts
While doing an inventory of my supplies I discovered I was very limited in the water I would need. Here's a suggestion: if you have time and plan to stay home, fill your tub with water or if you have a hot tub, drain it and refill it with fresh water. Another suggestion would be to stock up on several cases of bottled water.

· Registered
45 Posts
at the moment i dont have any. but i would like to share what i have on my wish list so far.
for pistol a .22 ruger mark 2 or a 10/45 later ill may bump up to a 9mm glock
for rifle a 10/22 ruger with a few mods. been eyeing the AR 7 also. still looking into what i want for a larger caliber there.
for the shotgun a mosberg... dont know which one yet & after i practice with my other guns & get back to my stomping grounds i think it will give me a better picture on what to get because ill better know what i want to use it for, if that maks any sence.

· Registered
4,071 Posts
Billy, first off, welcome to the site, you seem to have a very good start to prepping. Booze and tobacca for trading? great idea, and I'll admit I didn't think of that.
As for the weapons, I might be a little paranoid, but I don't list what I have. Never know for sure whose reading these boards, and there is a big battle going on right now so we don't have to declare what we own. Lets just say I believe in going from high-tech to very low tech. I could see where a BB gun or even a slingshot might one day be useful and should be added to what a person owns.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.