Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now is a scary time for those that choose to defend themselves. Prices are up availability is limited . It may easy up a bit but who knows for how long.
Some things to think about.
Make a list of what you feel you must have for weapons
Decide how many rounds you must stock pile with in you budget
Do not worry about add on parts. Sight, scopes hand guards all of that will be around for a long time yet. Any funds you have that can go to defense needs to focus on the weapons and ammo at the right price.
If your in the market for an AR and all you can find in a plain jane basic model take it you can always customize it latter. If you can not afford an AR15 then grab an AK or SKS they will keep you in the fight.
Even a good basic rifle is better than nothing.
Hand guns are good to have but you do not need a box full one or two good ones they will also be a round awhile maybe not in HI cap but so what you can fix that latter. Keep you eyes and budget on what you feel you need that may not be on the rack soon.
It is not to late yet but maybe soon all the food and water stored up will be of no good if someone can just walk in and take it. Do it now while you can
The day may come we will be required to surrender or make a stand give yourself options. Our so called leaders have already scraped the Constitution what is next?
Molon labe

Reactions: crystalphoto

·
Registered
280 Posts
Make a list with your priorities.

Get what you need first,
according to the list.

It doesn't have to have a designer logo......
and you don't need to start out with the best.

Money is tight these days.

If it isn't......and you are super rich......
let me tell you what I want....:)

Some of us don't need anything,
simply because of age.....and/or
past hysteria or simple upbringing
and way of life.
We have had decades to accumulate....
Some of us are young, and by default of age
alone, have not had simply the time to prepare.

Begin with the basic needs......then, as time and
your wallet allows.....keep up with the 'Jones'.

Reactions: crystalphoto

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Let's say a young person, turned 18 today, and was taking the anti gun propaganda seriously and his entry level job afforded him about $250 a month thanks to mom and dad letting live home rent free. I'd definitely start with a used Ruger 10-22 you can get for $200 pretty easy. $30 for a pair of extra magazines and $20 for a brick of 500 rounds. 1/2 of that you could use for training. Next month pick off of a 5,000 round case of ammo, a 3 pack of magazines and a good cleaning kit. After that in month 4 with $500 get a used Mossberge 12 with both barbells, I'm guessing $300, and with $200 a variety of ammo from clay shot ($23 per 100), and 00 buck plus a case for both long guns and another cleaning kit. 4 months a 22 and a 12 gauge...he'd be better off then most. Id go for a Mosin next.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Anything is do-able .....given time and money [barter].

A case of Spam may be a priority....
Or diapers....
Band-Aids....

Myself, I would opt for a .22lr revolver
with a .22magnum cylinder
if the gun was first priority.[survival]
A shotgun for home defense.

The problem I [personally] have with a
rifle as the 'first' home defense weapon
and how far the range it will protect you.........
If the police [and courts] are still intact ......
I can't see a need for a weapon like an
AT&T gun that will 'reach out and
touch someone'.....when the laws would be
against me for killing someone 100yds away
from my front door.
Shooting at me from 100yds away, into my home,
I need to hunker down and stay safe, not start
shooting back, but wait until they attempt to breach
my home....then.....

I am an advocate of having many guns available. :)

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep in mind when SHTF laws will not longer madder survival is all the counts

·
Registered
280 Posts
"If the police [and courts] are still intact ......"---ozo

In post #5........

·
Registered
280 Posts
Keep in mind when SHTF laws will not longer madder survival is all the counts
This may well be....in your interpretation of SHTF.....

When Janet Reno sent in the tanks at Waco TX.......
I firmly believe the SHTF for all in the commune.
Yet,.........laws still existed.

Maybe you mean a 'Mad Max' scenario.......
you weren't clear on that.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have been preparing for years, ever since Hurricane Andrew (yeah, that ANDREW).

I am ready. When the last panic hit, I waited it out and began buying again when prices returned to normal. When this panic hit, I did not need a thing.

Gather what you can afford when you can afford to gather it. The ant can only carry what it can per trip, and then dutifully returns to gather up some more, one mouthful at a time if need be.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I am with you on that idea Verteidiger.

I too say grab what you can afford to grab and then sock in all the ammo you can while you still can.

To my way of thinking right now, I would seriously consider a Lever Action in a handgun caliber and a matching Revolver that will use the same ammunition loads. Right now with prices so redicuals for guns this would be about the best fire power deal out there right now and two guns that would likley survive anything short of gun confiscation. Further more as hard as ammunition is to find right now and the prices being asked I am willing to bet that 38 Spl/357 Mag or 44 Spl./44 Mag or 45 Long Colt would be a lot easier to find right now and a lot more reasonably priced that 9mm, 40 S&W or 45 ACP. It would still give you a pretty good bit of fire power although not my first choice.

Next on the agenda I would seriously consider a 22 rim fire in other than a semi auto loader. Such guns have the ability to handle shotshells, cb caps and subsonic loads in addition to full power loads. As much as I like auto loading 22's they cant say this about them and if they aint on this possible up coming ban you can bet after another school shooting or two they might very well be! Even if they aint you will be paying dearly for Magazines. I would snatch up a couple of bricks post hast along with it too!

Need heavier fire power, as rough as Mosin Nagants usually are, at about 140.00 fun dollars for a shooter grade one and with 440 rounds still being available at still some what reasonable prices I think they continue to be a bargin. While not a tack driver its still minute of bad guy out to 200 yards and further from a gun with a good bore still on it. Its got enough punch to turn many forms of cover into concealment as well!

Also let this be a lesson learned as to why you should have been buying some ammo every pay day and picking up your SHTF guns a while back! With the massive shortage in guns, Mags and ammo and the crazy prices that are now being charged if and when you can find it, you would have been safely ahead of the power curve had you thought ahead a bit more. Just my thoughts on this subject...

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The .22 keeps coming up. A Good .22 can do a lot it can put food on a table. It may not have range of fire power but it can put out a lot of rounds fast. When one well placed shot don't work 3 might. A steady firing of even a .22 will make them stay put.
.22 rounds are still cheap and most .22's will eat what you feed them.
I am betting after the Holidays with enough time to ramp up production Mags will be back on the racks, you may see a small increase but it should settle down. We hit Obama and Holiday at a time many saw it coming and just drained the racks at a time nothing was coming in. Weapons may take a bit longer to catch up as it seems even bare lowers sold out of stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts