Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running out of room with my storage. I have my basement filled up with mainly water, and my closets filled up with foods. Right now i'm putting everything I got into high calories in small packages. I've thought about buying another outbuilding, but I think that would clutter up the place even more. What is everyone else doing for their storage rooms? When is enough.... enough? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't have a basement, and storage space is limited. I am currently using an extra bedroom. I thought about an outside storage building, but I worry about temperature control. We live in the mountains/high desert and the temperatures are so inconsistent. It is warm during the day and cold at night. Any thoughts on regulating temperature without costing a fortune.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Make a small insulated box with thermo on it, or a root cellar, perhaps...

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Great thread. I also worry about temperature ruining my preps. This is why I don't carry that much food in the bov as well, because I would figure the food would go bad in hot extreme temperatures. They do make a "lifeboat rations" that are used for lifeboats and are supposed to be temperature ok'ed. (Whatever that means). I have a storage building as well and I was thinking of getting a 15 watt solar panel (30 bucks ebay monocylstine) and powering a small window fan to it for the summer. The problem arises again in the winter months though when temperatures get down to the low 10's 20's. I do know they have a solar powered refriderator, but then again your talking 2-3 grand for one of these and of course the deap cell batteries will go dead after awhile.

If someone came up with an idea to control temperatures for preppers food storage, they would be rich.

Acidlittle's idea was a good one, the root cellar. Thats what my grandparents and everyone in this area has done (a long time ago). They stay cool, but they also stay moldy/mildew. I would consider being cold better than hot when it comes to storing food since botulism can occur (bacteria generating due to can foods that stay out in hot climates). Also the root cellar can doulbe as a storm shelter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"If someone came up with an idea to control temperatures for preppers food storage, they would be rich."

Simply have a room in the inner of your home, insulate it and place a small portable air-conditioner in there.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I have a separate room for such items. My wife calls this "the gun room."

I also would offer the idea of "trading." Let's suppose I have just polished and adjusted a new folder, although I have dozens. I meet a guy who is good at preserving food stuffs, but he couldn't sharpen even a No. 2 Pencil, much less a survival knife.

I believe these exchanges should be approached often and your trade items should be an active part of the swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts