Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh, no, you'll have to keep reading to find the answer.

I head out this morning to walk the dog on some of our trails through the woods.

As we're walking along, out trots a hen - my Lab alerts, since we hunt birds - just not turkeys. He alerts to all birds.

So we freeze in place and watch. Five seconds later, baby turkey walks out behind Mother Turkey.

They look like quail.

Two more trot out, and my Lab is drooling and vibrating.

I release him and man, can those baby turkeys fly. Like quail.

I called my dog off once he reaches their scent trail. Not supposed to harass them.

But I want him to understand they exist. Just in case.

Oh. Poult. A baby turkey is called a poult. And they fly, fast.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Poult? I was walking along on the Appalachina Trail somewhere in Virgina when I flush a turkey hen. She has about a dozen babies about as big as newly hatched chicks but camoflage browns and tans. The babies are programed to just squat when in danger. Anyway, I freeze in place and a couple of these babies are actually on my foot and just in front of it. I just stand there thinking the babies are gonna take off but they don't. I easy the camera out and take a bunch of pictures and they still don't spook. You can hear the momma clucking just off the trail tryin' to get the babies rounded up. I finally started to walk off and the babies ran.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I could have seen a baby platypus.

Bet you don't know that one, either.

Wait for it....

Wait....

A puggle.

See, I told you.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I always thought they were "jakes"..maybe that is something else.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Ok ive never heard of Turkey eggs. In all seriousness. I was thinking chicken and egg then I thought well I guess I didn't?
Kind of reminds me of the time someone was directing traffic on a four lane for some ducks. Ducklings too. That's the time the cars in front jammed the brakes and I went into a grassy knoll

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
James...God love you but how in the hell dod we go from Turkeys and baby turkeys to the Kennedy assassination and a grassy knoll? You sir are amazing in your reach.
What?!?! You think it was just Mary Jo Kopechne that Ted Kennedy killed when he drove off the bridge?!?! I have it on good authority there were ducks there as well. In point of fact, I heard that Kennedy actually backed up and finished off a whole line of little yellow ducklings BEFORE he drove his car off the bridge and killed Kopechne! I'll bet he even clubbed some baby seals as he pulled himself from the water standing on Kopechne's shoulders. SO THERE - THAT'S WHAT!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.