Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted for awhile because of a major (positive) change in my life. I have accepted a job offer that is in a major metropolitan area (big city) which will result in a move and the loss of my bug-out location (at least for now, anyway). It is a great job at a great company so it is a no-brainer that I want the job. But I have to relocate immediately (one week) and move into an apartment while I search for a new house.

So I am going from an absolutely ideal BOL to a city apartment almost overnight.

Not really worried about it - I just have to put my big boy britches on and handle it. But it does create a new situation that requires a completely new strategy as to how to prep in my new digs.

I am blessed to have this new job (praise God) and to start a new life in a great place to live, but it is a big city, and it presents all the challenges a big city imposes on people who live there.

So I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about the move, and how I plan to deal with such a significant change in my surroundings. I think it may be helpful to people who may be faced with a similar set of circumstances, and perhaps people can contribute their thoughts on how to prep when transitioning from a rural setting to an urban setting....

So, that is the genesis of this thread. How I plan to make that transition, and how to overcome any obstacles it will present.

Right now I am just running around gathering my belongings and updating my bug out bags. I have selected the firearms I will take. Ammo selection is the first change to deal with - I now have to consider overpenetration issues since I am going to be in an apartment complex.

I picked an apartment that has additional closet space, and a large pantry. It also has a garage for my vehicle, which offers security and privacy that would not be available in outside uncovered parking. It should afford me some extra space for storing water, plastic storage bins, and perhaps gasoline. It costs me extra, but it is worth it given the alternatives. I am sure it will be better in inclement weather, too.

I have to find out if a small portable generator will be allowed, or maybe I will just get one and use it if I need it. Not sure about how to handle that - the apartment is all electric.

Also need to start doing some mapping recon to figure out evacuation routes. I want at least three options by vehicle. My first option will be to bug out via commercial airlines, since I can be gone before conditions get too bad, depending on the nature of the threat I have to respond to.

And so begins the next great adventure.... I will be living totally solo; not even my dog with me....

Anyone who is already a city dweller who wants to offer some advice, that would be great.

(And please don't tell me to move - I am doing this on purpose, simply because that is where the good jobs are)....

So, my fellow preppers...please feel free to school me on what I need to be thinking about. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Now where did I put my toothbrush...?

Please give me the benefits of your best thinking on this subject. Thanks!

- Vert (soon to be a country mouse to city mouse)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Moving as is, is always tough. I hate apartment living. It certainly makes prepping harder. You basically have to plan around bugging out fast once things take a turn for the worst. You have to do what you have to do though. The hardest thing for me when I lived in a apartment complex was hiding my rifles from others eyes. I used to use a guitar softcase for going to the range.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first item I decided upon was an ammo bag that would store loaded mags and keep them readily available for emergencies while being easy to grab and go if I need to go mobile. For that purpose, I chose the 5.11 Tactical Active Shooter Bail Out Bag, and filled it with Brownell's 30 round 5.56 mags. Link to ammo bag:

5.11 Tactical Bail Out Bag | Official 5.11 Site

Great bag, and really well made with durable fabric and padded shoulder/back strap.

Added some Magpul Ranger base plates to the Brownell's mags to make them easy to retrieve from the pouches and inside the bag. Also added a Mag-Lula to speed load (or unload) the mags. And added a pair of Blackhawk S.O.L.A.G. Kevlar shooting gloves to one of the side pouches, along with a Surefire flashlight.

Now to decide on ammo selection....

·
Super Moderator
9,496 Posts
Apartment living is something that can still make me shudder........ I lived in apartments for 15yrs after I moved to Texas. What I remember most was having to be extremely discreet about nearly everything I did. The larger heavy items like ammo I had to bring in after dark in small quantities. I spent a lot of years in that industry (in maintenance) and saw a multitude of apartment break-ins. Even in the better apartment complexes. That was the driving factor in how I did things. You cannot give your neighbors even half an idea of what you have. That sounds paranoid but I managed not to be broken into.

BTW, glad to see things on a positive note for you. :)

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Once settled, I would be thinking in terms of connecting with other like-minded people locally. Maybe start getting to know the local gunshop owners and hangers on. Maybe find a local range and gradually get to know anyone with black guns. I would be trying to get a feel for the local "prepper scene" and get some sense of the attitude towards prepping in general. It's hard to go it alone, you know?

I might also make a throw-away email addy and put some feelers out on Craigslist and locally-oriented forums. You don't have to tell them who you are or where you live, and might learn some valuable stuff about the local area. Toss out a quick, "Wanted: Prepper Chick" and see who stands up.

Other than that, it seems you have the situation well in hand. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
If it is a really large city won't the sheer number of people trying to bug out at the same time make it very difficult if not impossible? I live near Chicago and I can only imagine how hard it would be for those in the city to get out. So maybe a bug in plan with like minded city dwellers? I am not a full fledged prepper so I am just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is a really large city won't the sheer number of people trying to bug out at the same time make it very difficult if not impossible? I live near Chicago and I can only imagine how hard it would be for those in the city to get out. So maybe a bug in plan with like minded city dwellers? I am not a full fledged prepper so I am just thinking out loud.
That is a great question. I think that the decision to stay or go is very situational; it may be smarter to just bug-in and avoid the traffic snarls and gridlock; conversely, it may make sense to bug-out if you can get a running start. My first option for bug out is an airplane ride, but still have to get to the airport and depart....

Apartments suck for security if people start raiding homes. So that has to be factored in.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apartment living is something that can still make me shudder........ I lived in apartments for 15yrs after I moved to Texas. What I remember most was having to be extremely discreet about nearly everything I did. The larger heavy items like ammo I had to bring in after dark in small quantities. I spent a lot of years in that industry (in maintenance) and saw a multitude of apartment break-ins. Even in the better apartment complexes. That was the driving factor in how I did things. You cannot give your neighbors even half an idea of what you have. That sounds paranoid but I managed not to be broken into.

BTW, glad to see things on a positive note for you. :)
Thanks, inceptor!! It was a life-changer, for sure!

Your point about break-ins and moving supplies after dark are excellent points. I may have to rethink my weapons of choice. And consider a gun safe.... May need to rethink the firearms selections....

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
Apartments suck for security if people start raiding homes. So that has to be factored in.
Yes and no. I'm reminded of the airborne's "big sky, little bullet" theory of safety. With so many apartments available to ransack, the odds of yours being targeted might be rather slim. The biggest danger is from others in the building, in my opinion, which is why I would get to know them to assess their potential threat or usefulness.

Letting anyone know you have guns and prep is a double-edged sword. If they knew you were in the apartment at the time, they would be less likely to try anything stupid. If, on the other hand, you weren't home, it would probably increase the risk of break-ins. All things considered, probably best to stay under their radar.

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Congrats and Be Blessed you have the mind set and now abilities to be the best prepared you can be.

Learn your routes out of dodge (city) and paths back to your BOL. Its never too far if you plan for safe havens in between (think BLM). I'd plan on bugging out on foot as a last resort, bike second to last, and car / truck most likely. Enjoy your new opportunity as one to make the necessary plans and steps to take from where you are.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Thanks! For personal, security, and privacy reasons, I prefer not to mention the city....

Not really necessary for purposes of the discussion....
Actually it does matter. Geography and population of a larger city is critical for prepping. Your strategies would be different if you lived in a metro area of 4 million (a big city) as to 750,000 population which some think is a big city. Geography is important to a strategy... Mountains near by? Rivers, lakes or oceans? Open lands, exit routes and on and on.

Also, what type of disaster are you prepping for? What type would the city experience? Hurricane, earthquake, blizzards, flooding? You need to do a risk analysis for your new geography and city.

You'll be in an apartment but said you're looking for a house. Apartment living is not conducive to prepping and if anything, you just need a bug out plan even if you don't have a location set yet. Staying in the apartment is not an option for more than a short time. Don't waste money on a generator at this time. You won't be able to run it without it being stolen or all your neighbors wanting to use it. Besides, will you be able to get gas or even store it in needed quantity to make a difference. Keep a good three day pack and a week or two of food at hand. Plenty of water.

If you stay in the apartment for any length of time, find out the location if the nearest shelter and aid centers since you'll windup there with the rest of the multitudes.

Sorry for the critical assessment but like you said, put on your big boy pants. ;)

Edit: just a note.. I live in a house in Houston. My strategy is different than if I live in San Antonio, another large city, or Tulsa, a reasonably sized metro area.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Prepper practicalities don't require we know which metro. It's about water, food, defense, transport, and power no matter where you live. The plans for escape are free to generate and cost nothing but time and energy (maybe some gas money)..

If you also get to search for a residence, wow, what a great opportunity to pick one with a southern roof line (180-188 degrees) for solar, have room for a garden, be near water sources, and bug out opps

·
Registered
928 Posts
I dont live in a big city but the one I live in is still too big for me. Glad to hear you have a good job to go to as it might help with funds to go towards your prepping but bad that you will have to live in a city where it will be very hard to get out if needed. Buy a nice 4x4 so if traffic gets backed up you can go off road... bugging in in a large city would scare the crap out of me.... I dont like crowds!

have a good reserve of fuel for what ever vehicle you drive because there will be none in a SHTF scenario. look at maps of the area around where you live for any lakes, streams and places you would be able to hunt or hold up that you can defend easily (high ground) prepping in a big city will be a challenge so keep us updated with your experiences.

Doc

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I did not think you would answer what city.
Curious because the size can really matter. There are cities, and there are CITIES.
I wish you luck, maybe you can get back to where you want to be before SHTF.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Prepper practicalities don't require we know which metro. It's about water, food, defense, transport, and power no matter where you live. The plans for escape are free to generate and cost nothing but time and energy (maybe some gas money)..

If you also get to search for a residence, wow, what a great opportunity to pick one with a southern roof line (180-188 degrees) for solar, have room for a garden, be near water sources, and bug out opps
I read the OP's opening comments again and initially though he was looking for advice/thoughts on urban prepping. Upon further read he doesn't seem to be asking for advice but examples of what we, who live in an urban environment, do to prepare. So yes, metro location is irrelevant but the examples would be too. So I would say, like you noted, follow the basics - water, shelter and food. Don't get fancy either. And lastly, be well armed and really know how to use them, not just shooting holes in paper.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
If you don't mind a non city dweller chiming in, perhaps you might look into a portable solar setup. If all you are looking for is lighting and charging a few electrical devices, while apartment dwelling. You can always take it with you when you move into a house.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I live on an edge of a major metroplitan area. I have ruled out about a 240 degree area I will NOT attempt to traverse under any circumstances that extends for anywhere from 35 miles to 60 miles. This may sound like being hemmed in, but some careful scouting and planning can get me far enough in one direction that that either end of my envelope opens up.

You know what to store and how to maintain OpSec, the key is learning where to go and where not to go.

Another major consideration is where you live in relation to where you work. Hopefully you are not going to be working in a "downtown" office. That has to be the most densly populated scenario should something happen while you are work. Either way, once you get a feel for your physical work envoronment consider keeping a few additional items at work for an extended get home effort.

Take a slow and cautious approach to finding like minded people, but allow room for new friends and aqauintances.

·
Registered
303 Posts
One other thing about apartment living in big cities - more specifically high rise apartments. In a true SHTF situate where the power is out no elevators will be available. That's good because if you are high up the looters won't want to climb multiple flights of stairs until they get really desperate. The bad news is getting yourself and your stuff down the same stairs to bug out. Maybe a close by storage facility is available? Of course, those may be locked down as well but hey you won't be the only one breaking and entering something...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts