Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.

My name is Mike. I am a software developer and a prepper. I have been looking around for a while and I have found that what little software is available that is geared towards preppers, seems to be lacking a bit.

I have stopped all current projects and I am going to entirely devote my time to developing a suite of software for the prepper family.

I am thinking of software for preparing for SHTF, use during SHTF (Security & Intelligence, Barter/Trade/Retail, Resource Management, Medical, etc.) and during and post-rebuild.

So, I have a question for everyone: Assuming that the price would always be within affordable limits, and there are no limits, what features would you like to see in this software suite?

Note: For the time being, this suite will only be available for the Windows platform. If it is popular enough, I may port it to other operating systems in the future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why start with Windows? Microsoft and Apple are part of the problem. Why not start with Linux? I understand that people would first need to get on board, freeing themselves of prying eyes and the restrictions of them. There are tons of Distros that are not only free (releasing them from the cost of bloated & overpriced software) but are Opensource and are the most secure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why start with Windows? Microsoft and Apple are part of the problem. Why not start with Linux? I understand that people would first need to get on board, freeing themselves of prying eyes and the restrictions of them. There are tons of Distros that are not only free (releasing them from the cost of bloated & overpriced software) but are Opensource and are the most secure.
I start with Windows because I develop for Windows. I have been for 22 years now. I do not care for Apple or Linux systems. I've used many different linux distributions, and hated every single one of them.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
For me a legal pad and pencil has done nicely for 30 years.
It is my opinion that if there is a shtf you will find that computer useless, For one reason or another.
Anything i want to keep secure is on a computer not connected to the interweb.
No storage devise gets plugged into it and then a web connected unit.
Any how to info, i have is on paper or in books for the things i do not know.
The feds have a law forcing companies like motorola to give them the keys to any encryption they sell.
Even pgp had to submit or face espionage charges.
So anyone out there that thinks your encrypted files or messages are safe are in for a big surprise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me a legal pad and pencil has done nicely for 30 years.
It is my opinion that if there is a shtf you will find that computer useless, For one reason or another.
Anything i want to keep secure is on a computer not connected to the interweb.
No storage devise gets plugged into it and then a web connected unit.
Any how to info, i have is on paper or in books for the things i do not know.
The feds have a law forcing companies like motorola to give them the keys to any encryption they sell.
Even pgp had to submit or face espionage charges.
So anyone out there that thinks your encrypted files or messages are safe are in for a big surprise.
This is very true. Many people have different thoughts on what SHTF will be like, and there is just no way to know until we're living it. Computer's may very well be useless. However, for pre-SHTF planning, I believe that they are crucial, especially if planning for large groups. I have long been telling people not to use standard encryption methods if your purpose is to protect your data from the government (but they do work well in protecting it from jim-bob down the street). I believe that the only way to keep digital information safe from government prying would be to develop your own encryption methods for private use and not employ them until SHTF (or just not have digital information to start with).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Windows here

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agreed, socom. That's why the pantry/stockroom list I have is a printout from the computer. I print two copies, keep one set in a three ring binder and the other set in a fireproof lockbox we have for important papers.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
agreed, socom. That's why the pantry/stockroom list i have is a printout from the computer. I print two copies, keep one set in a three ring binder and the other set in a fireproof lockbox we have for important papers.
basically i am the same way.
All stores have an inventory list in the stores area of containment, and a master list in safe.
I only keep electronic archival data on cd's.
They are emp proof. They are in a fire safe.
If there is an emp strike most likely will be nothing to read them or the power to run either.
My fall-back is i am prepped for a none electric living.
Even though i have generators, they are, i consider, a transitional item.

·
Registered
936 Posts
It may be useful in preparing for a SHTF scenario. Once that happens, I wouldn't want to rely on any computer or other electrically powered device for important stuff.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My two cents.... this software should be for prepping... and transition into a SHTF situaion. I.e., if you use it to track caches, maps to BOLS, back routes, Key locations to pick up supplies, etc. So... it would work best if it had an associated app that would work on a phone or tablet... Since a BOB can handle those... but most likely will NOT have a laptop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My two cents.... this software should be for prepping... and transition into a SHTF situaion. I.e., if you use it to track caches, maps to BOLS, back routes, Key locations to pick up supplies, etc. So... it would work best if it had an associated app that would work on a phone or tablet... Since a BOB can handle those... but most likely will NOT have a laptop.
While the initial release won't, I do intend on having both apps for smartphones and a light version that will be easily supported by tablets or palm-tops. The software will also help you keep up with print dates for maps, plans, data, etc. vs. updates, so you can ensure that you always have a hard copy of your latest information, without having to reprint it all every time. For example, if the printed data is a multi-page report and the information only changed on page 12, it will let you know so you only have to print the changes.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Free yourselves from Microsoft and Apple people, they are just as evil as any tyrannical government.
What kind of confuser would I need to start with linux? My 2007 Toshiba with Vista is getting old and may go at any time

I see the light , finally. If you do your prep plans on Microsoft or even Apple,"They" will know where to come and get you in the SHTF event.

Anyone that is in the know of confuser systems should know that and if they don't they shouldn't be trusted.

If they know the software giants are tracking you, it goes without saying that they are part of the evil system.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
basically i am the same way.
All stores have an inventory list in the stores area of containment, and a master list in safe.
I only keep electronic archival data on cd's.
They are emp proof. They are in a fire safe.
If there is an emp strike most likely will be nothing to read them or the power to run either.
My fall-back is i am prepped for a none electric living.
Even though i have generators, they are, i consider, a transitional item.
Forgive me, but I'm not that smart about computer operating systems, but even I know that whatever you print out is stored on your harddrive and is accessibile by MicroSoft hackers and the gubbermint, and to some extent Apple. Print the sheets out, then write in the blanks by hand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What kind of confuser would I need to start with linux? My 2007 Toshiba with Vista is getting old and may go at any time

I see the light , finally. If you do your prep plans on Microsoft or even Apple,"They" will know where to come and get you in the SHTF event.

Anyone that is in the know of confuser systems should know that and if they don't they shouldn't be trusted.

If they know the software giants are tracking you, it goes without saying that they are part of the evil system.
ANY PC new or old will work well usually. One of my PC's is 7 years old and runs almost as fast as my newest with a quad core. Linux has a way of bring back to life old PC's because it doesn't use as many resources and it has a lighter footprint because there is no bloatware.

Any newer Distro of MINT or UBUNTU are great to learn on. The are dozens of linux Distributions out there but I think those two are the best well rounded for new users. I still prefer Ubuntu of all the others.

I will warn you though, it wont be without it's own learning curve. I suggest starting out with putting the OS on a thumb drive and work from there for a while. That way you don't loose your patience. I dropped Linux a few times before finally jumping in with both feet.

OP, I'm sorry to derail your thread.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
forgive me, but i'm not that smart about computer operating systems, but even i know that whatever you print out is stored on your harddrive and is accessibile by microsoft hackers and the gubbermint, and to some extent apple. Print the sheets out, then write in the blanks by hand.
see post 4 on this thread.
I specified that the computer that contains all the data is not connected to the interweb.
No thumb drive is used for data transfer, thereby eliminating any compromise of it.
It remains completely isolated.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
see post 4 on this thread.
I specified that the computer that contains all the data is not connected to the interweb.
No thumb drive is used for data transfer, thereby eliminating any compromise of it.
It remains completely isolated.
As long as an electrical cord is hooked up to it you are vulnerable.

The only way to avoid the hard drive peeking would be to run a laptop on a charged battery, or your PC on a genny.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
as long as an electrical cord is hooked up to it you are vulnerable.

The only way to avoid the hard drive peeking would be to run a laptop on a charged battery, or your pc on a genny.
to the best of my knowledge, they have not developed a carrier current system to go through a step down transformer.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts