Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend my daughter (11) and I made a penny stove. I was curious about them and it was a good excuse to spend time together. She enjoyed it and learned about using some of the tools in the garage. It was win/win/win all the way around.

Since that was such a hit, I've decided that this weekend (time permitting) we will make fire with a bow saw. I'll take her out into the desert where we can find raw materials and then bring them home to work on in a controlled environment so she can learn. It should be a good lesson, time, etc.

What other little prepper things can you do with kids. I'm thinking ages 7 and up. Obviously we aren't building a log cabin here. But stuff like the penny stove and the bow saw that are immediately useful and small hands / new minds can tackle. Post up and hopefully this will become like a little Prepper Guide for Pre-Teens.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Supercool. GT. I showed a coworker how easy and quick the penny stoves were, and he is a scout leader. He is going to teach the fire approved kids how to build one.
As for other projects, I take my boy for a walk, and we try to identify tracks in the washes. He is too young for fire.
Older kids, like your 11, maybe show her how to identify a used animal trail, choke points, and how to contstruct a snare. Explaining humane killing.
Since you plan on teaching her the bow saw, possibly hit all the easy fire methods. Being a pyro, I wish my boy was old enough to share my love for fire making.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Pick up some copper wire and some rare earth magnets and teach them how to make a simple generator.

One thing I am doing with my little grandson (3 years old) is we planted a tomato seed about 2 months ago and are growing it indoors. (Actually, I am more interested in it than he is but...)

With the older ones, get some 3/4" MDF and teach them how to make molds then to use the molds to make simple fiberglass containers - baskets and things. That is an extremely valuable skill to have later on when you start teaching them how to make more complex devices - electric motors, charging systems, water purification systems, etc.

Even stupid projects like a mouse trap drag racer is a good thing to show them since they will learn some basic fabrication skills and learn how retask common household things for other purposes.

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Do not do the "hold my beer while I shoot a propane tank over a fire with a high powered rifle" thing with them. Unless I am there with my camera.

Seriously, you can teach them to build a small lean to with some pine branches and rope and then build a small fire using a cotton ball soaked in petroleum jelly as the starter. Make them gather the kindling and wood themselves. Then roast some marshmallows.
Get a Boy Scout handbook and tie some knots.
Mix corn starch and water in a bucket. It makes a product that is neither liquid or solid. Google the proportions before hand. Kind of cool project.

When my sons procreate and provide Mrs. Slippy and I some Grandchildren, I plan to have them help make my casket. Yes it sounds morbid but if you make it fun and let them paint it up with crazy colors and stuff, feed them some candy as they work and just make it a fun thing not a morbid thing, i think it wold be a helluva story for them. Plus it would be fun to hear what happens when they go to school and tell everyone that they made BoomPa's casket last weekend and some overbearing government liberal teacher calls the parents to complain.

I plan on being buried on my land so maybe the grandkids would always feel a part of it and me.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'll second the knot tying, lashing is a valuable skill too. Get yourself some pole and show her how to build a tripod. If you can come up with enough poles try building a simple tower. Basic shelter building is also a great thing to teach and is almost never lost on a kid, just call it a fort and you'll get their attention quick. For an indoor project grab some paracord and make a few things. Map reading and orienteering are really useful skills, take her for a walk in the woods and hand her a map and compass and teach her how to find her way back but let her do it and she'll have that skill for life.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bravo for teaching your kids young. Perhaps some target shooting and gun safety experience will be helpful and fun.
She's already mastered the 4 basics of gun safety and is quite proficient with the .22 rifle. Pistol is a work in progress and if I get a sissy-pad, she'll step up to the .410. She's also got her own recurve bow and it doing well with archery out to about 25 yards. We've been working on tracking skills every time she goes hiking with me and when i spot anomalies, I have her tell me the story of "what happened here." When we find an old campfire we dig through it to see who was camping here and what they were up to as a way of getting to know the people using the land from a forensic perspective. Kind of like modern day archaeology.

We have done some backyard camping and need to get out to the Mogillon-Rim Country to do a little primitive camping for a night or two there. I need to work with her on shelter, snares, fishing, gutting, processing, cooking over the fire, and some of those things that you can't compress into an hour in the back yard or garage.

LOTS of Great Suggestions Here! Keep'em Coming!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Both of my kids have compound bows, both have some firearm training, both are proficient fishermen, and love camping, fishing, shooting, hunting, ect. My son even has been practicing different techniques for building animal snares. I think that if you just include your children in your passions, and nurture their own interests, The skills of survival, outdoorsmanship, and the basic skillset for prepping is automatic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.