Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Would you be interested in Prepper/Survival Challenges

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would members of this forum be interested in doing prepper challenges?

Meaning, certain tasks to get to certain levels. Mainly no or extremely little money involved.

For example there are a lot of people saying.... "I plan on....". This will let you sign up or track your level as well as providing a help/support group from others on here.

Example Challenge #1:

Obtain HAM radio technician level #1 within 3 months:

This would be challenge #1 and people would virtually sign up and start with the studying or obtaining the license. At the end of 3 months we can post who made it through.

Cost involved would be $15.00 for exam fee... plus travel to the testing site.

Example Challenge #2:

Photocopy of important papers to be placed on a secure "Thumb Drive" and placed in a EMP container within 1 month.

Cost involved would be $10.00 for a good thumb drive.

Example Challenge #3

Build a fire without matches, preferably a bow/string style within 1 month.

Cost involved: Free

Note: You don't have to sign up for each challenge. Just finding out if anyone is interested? For example I would be signing up for the first challenge because I'm already a ham operator, but as the challenges go on, that level can go up to a different level.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I like the idea somewhat, but it also reminds me of the thread about soldiers as "the pinnacle of prepper standards" to which my reply was "what prepper standards?".

The first step might be setting standards such as "Have a 72 hour bag for each member of the family." or "be able to use a map and compass."

Once the standards are agreed upon then one could pursue the skills and supplies required.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I like the idea somewhat, but it also reminds me of the thread about soldiers as "the pinnacle of prepper standards" to which my reply was "what prepper standards?".

The first step might be setting standards such as "Have a 72 hour bag for each member of the family." or "be able to use a map and compass."

Once the standards are agreed upon then one could pursue the skills and supplies required.
Use a map and compass, yes. But the bag violates the "little to no money" rule.

Incidentally both of these are soldier skills.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I've been wanting to learn how to make fire with the stick/bow method.
I'm in.

Reactions: survival

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good points and I'm sure we'll fine tune the rules as we go. I do like the idea of pics or it didn't happen, even if its a simple photo of a finished fire that you started with the bow (this isn't school, so no one is graded).

HuntingHawk, I was just giving examples and thought of ham radio since I see a lot of folks saying "this is what I'm going to do soon". I agree there are much more important skills, but I don't think that should be in priority since a new user might start here in about 3 months and were at the "ham radio" part of the challenge, and we can't start over for that person. Or, are you saying they can come back to that challenge? That might be a good idea as well. Where challenge #1 would be to show photo of your water storage..... months go by while members (new or old) can come back and start that challenge and then move to the next challenge. That is definitely something to think about so we don't leave people behind and they can start at anytime. Or we can refer them to "Prepper Challenge #1" etc.

For the monetary part, I agree 110% because of funds. But, at some point we would have to say to have X number of whatever on hand which would come up with some $. BUT, at that point a person can decide to skip that challenge until the next one or work on a previous one.

Jak.... I'm not a solider, but I've learned a lot from soldiers from this forum, which is the main goal of this challenge where people that say to do this or that can actually chip in with advice or show that they have done the challenge already by themselves.

Mish, yes, there were be un drunk alcohol in these challenges. :cocksure:

Anymore standards or rules anyone would like to list? I highly agree with Arklaxtex about a photo or video of you doing this. If some think this violates OPSEC then that's fine, don't do that particular challenge, or we can move the threads to the bunker (only limited to members) which gives a little more relaxation for some folks.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been wanting to learn how to make fire with the stick/bow method.
I'm in.
Good deal! This is the goal of the challenges that we can have. This will actually "force" some folks to get out there and actually do it.

·
9,017 Posts
I could go for this,,,, It may give me a kick in the butt to actually read the HAM radio book I bought last year.
Check the date on the book. In July of last year, the FCC changed the questions for Tech class license. Your book may be out of date. The books for General class license are out of date this July.

·
Banned
1,891 Posts
sounds good to me. can i suggest that we dont create any snooty badge or running tally system? it might be easier to recruit new participants if we dont belittle them with successes from other challenges. ie anyone that posts a pic of a fire, stick andbow deserves to celebrate without the level 2077 prepper talking smack to the level 3000 prepper.

lets keep the challenge in doing, and a congratulations for getting it done.

just an opinion

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sounds good to me. can i suggest that we dont create any snooty badge or running tally system? it might be easier to recruit new participants if we dont belittle them with successes from other challenges. ie anyone that posts a pic of a fire, stick andbow deserves to celebrate without the level 2077 prepper talking smack to the level 3000 prepper.

lets keep the challenge in doing, and a congratulations for getting it done.

just an opinion
I'm with you 100% on this. I agree. In fact, I might even make it where its 1 post from the person doing the deed, and any comments/questions from others can be in a different thread or whatnot.

Simple.

For example, Tinkerhell's post would be like this.

"Hello all, I just completed this challenge (bow/stick fire making), and here a photo of my fire".

If Denton comes in and asks "how long did it take you", then his thread will be deleted.

Sound good, or do we want comments from others? This way there is no belittleing others, or comments like "I would have done it this way blah blah blow blow blow".

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I just made a fire by rubbing 2 democrats together, built a primitive hotel out of bark, gnawed my way through a large poplar with nothing but my teeth, boiled water by glaring at it, made a decent gatling gun and ammo out of a tin can, killed a bar with a knife, and successfully evaded an FBI dragnet while carrying 220 pounds of bricks.

What do I win?

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
OK, seriously though....

We should come up with a list of prepper skills, then rank them according to importance, then we can decide which ones would work in a challenge format.

Not to be negative, but things like building a fire with 2 sticks is technically a non-prepper skill. If you are prepared, wouldn't you have a lighter?

Reactions: shoot2live
1 - 20 of 38 Posts