Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's overall thoughts on the BEST overall boot out there for a all in one type scenario?

Military boots, cowboy boots, work boots, snake proof boots, logger boots, paratrooper boots, camo boots, waterproof, thinsulate, steel toe, mid size, ankle length?

Timberland, Red Wing, Wolverine, Caterpillar brands?

Laces, drawstring, paracord?

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
I have a pair of black boots from danner. Waterproof and insulated by gore TeX and thinsulate. I can't wear them everyday, so I usually go with a waterproof sneaker. Right now its a north face sneaker.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Personally if I had to go with ONE boot, it would be the old standard black combat boot. Wearing boots made for jungles or deserts through a foot of snow sucks, as would wearing my Danner Matterhorn Gortex lined boots when it is 100 degrees F outside would also suck. Unless you are riding a horse, cowboy boots would not be the best option in any weather/terrain.

Footwear would be important, but like many things, you would have to think about the terrain and climate in which you will be wearing them and under what type of situations.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think where your located makes a big difference on what kind of boots are needed. Personally i wear Justin, high top lace up's. ("roppers" is what i call them) They are great for me, and are very comfortable. pppp.jpg

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Depends on the area. For me 90% of the time I wear Redwing pull on work boots. I think the style is called wellington. If it's cold I wear thick wool socks. If it's really cold and snowy I have insulated lace up hunting boots from Irish setter.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm walking over rough terrain I like a sturdy vibram soled logger. If I'm walking on milder terrain I like a lightweight insulated hiking boot. If it is snow covered slushy terrain I like a wearing a good pair of pac's. I have them all and where I'm going pretty much dictates the boot I'll be wearing.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,314 Posts
I've got a pair that I really have a liking for.
They are black lace ups from Herman Survivor. (closeout at Wally World, marked $30, down from $90)
They have reflective banding, are waterproof all the way up the laces, have a strong composite over the toe for crush resistance, shockproof(electric shock, that is, no metal), have pointed ridges that run over the composite toe and across the back of the heel(I'd use them for "acutely applied pressure", if you know what I mean), aggressive tread, puncture resistant sole(nails and such), and are Thinsulated.

They are designed to be a safety boot. That's why they still have toe protection, but no metal, to avoid electrical pathways.
I'd use them for rock, snow, mud, sand, just about anything really.
They look a little large, like the feet on Frankenstein's monster, but not too bad.

·
Registered
24,226 Posts
There is no way I would ever pick just one. Even if this is what I wear everywhere but work:

KEEN Mens Newport H2 Sandals

Whether shopping, in the woods poking around, doing yard work, or heading to the beach, Keen sandals. Winter? Yuppers. Summer? Of course. Looking for snakes? Are you out of your mind? That's what the snake boots are for! :-x

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have browning made kangaroo leather light weight hunting boots for normal wear. Insulated waterproof Iron ridge hunting boots from cabbalas for Ice and Snow weather. Everyday wear is 5.11 tactical ankle boots with side zip and waterproof. All are extremely comfortable and broken in. Without comfort you may as well be bare foot.

·
Super Moderator
2,895 Posts
All depends on where you live and what you do. I don't think there is a one fits all. I wear Merrill in south Texas (mostly topsiders though). I've hikers Yellowstone and other paces with them and they work for me. The caveat being it was summer. Winter.. All together different boot.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
143 Posts
I really like my bates boots. They are comfortable to wear for long periods of time. they are warm in the winter, and breathable in the summer.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I wear Vasque Goretex above the ankle hikers.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I like my Timberland hikers for everyday and a pair of Bates boots for JIC.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'm an industrial construction worker. Boots are part of my every day wear. I prefer a high top, lace-up boot. I like the ankle support, and the extra protection. Also, in a SHTF, I suggest a work boot type shoe, with steel toes, and a steel shank in the sole. Foot injuries can spell disaster for you, effectively stopping all your mobility. Plus, steel toes are great if you have to kick someone's face in.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Something that will breathe and is waterproof. If a little big and cold out, add heavier socks, if you're moving most likely will not get cold feet. my .02. Wet boots and feet are a killer! In hot or cold.

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
As others have said it depends on where you live and the season. I keep several styles of Georgia Boots (company based in GA with a good selection of well made boots) along with top notch socks. Personally I prefer the "Darn Tough" brand socks which are super durable.

Keep some extra foot powder around too. I'm big into comfortable feet!

If you plan to hike out of a bad situation good footwear is a must. Blisters and sore feet will really hobble you.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Original Swats except in the main winter months. Then it's something super quality and water proof. Nothing worse than wet feet in the winter. Makes for a poopy day in the field.

·
Registered
21,072 Posts
My LLBean Boots have lasted over 20 years and still going strong. I've also had a couple of steel toe Wolverines that are comfortable, rugged and last a long time...but for Christmas, Mrs Slippy bought me a pair of Georgia Boots-- Eagle Lightweight 8" Lacer (yeah I know, made in China) but damn, these are very lightweight, well made, so far very durable and I'd be just as comfortable taking a long hike in them, clearing brush or even going out to dinner with Mrs Slippy in them...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not sure if they still offer it but LL Bean used to have lifetime warranty on their boots.

You would mail them your filthy boots and they'd clean them, add a new sole or whatever it needs. :thumbup:

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I'm gonna have to go with the Merrel Moab. Lightweight, rugged, probably the best customer service in the industry. These are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned, and felt broken in right out of the box.

moabs.png

Merrell MOAB

1 - 20 of 31 Posts