Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you consider 101

I view prepper 101 as
Food - 1 year of food, the ability to grow sustainable food after that food is gone
Water - ability filter water from a local source
Shelter - place to keep family warm and dry
Security - Ability to defend against non military attacks
Medical - basic gear and training

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
I would say its more like being able to survive a week with what you posted Maine Marine. 101 is intro stuff and many students are clueless. 201 is expanding this format to a month. A year is an upper level course.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say its more like being able to survive a week with what you posted Maine Marine. 101 is intro stuff and many students a clueless. 201 is expanding this format to a month. A year is an upper level course.
I understand where you are coming from but for ME.... the basic is 1 year of food.... My view is that the event coming is going to be long and hard and 1 week of food is a teaser

people I talk to I always point out that they need to have the ability to get by a year so they can be producing their own crops

·
Registered
237 Posts
Those priorities for a year seem reasonable to me. Not in that order perhaps but I dont think you put that in any particular order.

·
Registered
11,937 Posts
I understand where you are coming from but for ME.... the basic is 1 year of food.... My view is that the event coming is going to be long and hard and 1 week of food is a teaser

people I talk to I always point out that they need to have the ability to get by a year so they can be producing their own crops
MM, I think a year is the goal prepper's should target for to be adequately prepared for most realistic potential world event catastrophes (SHTF), but most beginner's must take small and continuous steps to get there. Identifying the 5 essential categories and options on how to reach that goal would be 101.

Those with a worldview that all is good and only prep for short term natural disasters, likely will only target 3 months max. INMO they are ignoring the inevitable.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
1 week is a camping trip..
My 101 list is similar to MM's although I would add :

Communications - the ability to securely communicate with those we wish, listen to those of interest.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,062 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah right if you're a sheeple!

Lapua
10 mosins
AK
AR
Glock
50 BMG
Garand
M1A
10/22 and a shitload of 22's because that's the best Zompacalypse gun evaaahhhh
720 million rounds of ammo
1 Mre
Canteen
Gas station map to national forest
Mom's Car
:)

You're right MM! And it is 101. 101 for getting past the 72 hour 1 week thing.

·
Super Moderator
9,718 Posts
What do you consider 101

I view prepper 101 as
Food - 1 year of food, the ability to grow sustainable food after that food is gone
To add to Camel's reply I guess it depends where you are starting from. If your eyes were just opened yesterday then striving for a week survival seems like a good place to start. But I'm with you MM. Your list is a good one to start with.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
One oh one should include an assessment of the situation - today , and a plan for obtaining an intelligence update. you can have all the stuff in the world but if the Tsunami hits and your BOL is under 6 feet of H2O what good did it do you

Reactions: slewfoot

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MM, I think a year is the goal prepper's should target for to be adequately prepared for most realistic potential world event catastrophes (SHTF), but most beginner's must take small and continuous steps to get there. Identifying the 5 essential categories and options on how to reach that goal would be 101.

Those with a worldview that all is good and only prep for short term natural disasters, likely will only target 3 months max. INMO they are ignoring the inevitable.
Again I understand... baby steps... but as the time gets closer we need to strive for large steps and to help people realize that having just 1 week, 1 month, just means they are just putting off the time they will have before either joining the zombie motorcycle gang or becoming a victim

I am not saying it is all of nothing.. I just want folks to know that everyday the event gets 1 day closer

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would suggest that a person set their sights on Sustainable Living. Research Homesteading or Self Sufficient Living. Shelter, Water, Food, Security...
yep, yes, agree, concur, exactly....

We do not buy magazines generlly because things are online - but we do get 2 homestead/off grid type monthly rags... 1 they are good reading and 2 they are not effect by EMP

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
What do you consider 101

I view prepper 101 as
Pretty darn well stated MM, if you are there, you are way ahead of the curve, and if fine shape IMO.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
You have to set goals. For the people who are just starting out 2 weeks is good. Then expand to 1 month, then 3 months, then 6 months and so on. It takes time to get there. It's very east to get overwhelmed with a goal as large as MMs to begin with. You also need KNOWLEDGE to go with your supplies. Start a library you can use to learn skills as you go and to reference as needed. Medical books, Homesteading books, Food preservation books, Gardening books, etc.

And don't forget that many folks aren't prepping for doomsday. Some are prepping for events such as Katrina, Sandy, huge blizzards, Moore Oklahoma type tornadoes and such. A few months would be good for those situations.

One book that helped me get started was the preppers blueprint.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Preppers-Blueprint-Step-By-Step-Disaster/dp/1496092589

This book is also a must have: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&ref=pd_sl_8swlgxex4w_e

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And don't forget that many folks aren't prepping for doomsday. Some are prepping for events such as Katrina, Sandy,
understood... BUT how do you prep for an event that keeps you away from home and work for over 1 year. That destroys your home, car, etc?????

I am not in a flood zone, tornadoes here are very very rare, blizzards yep but as long as my roof is shelved off we are good....

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
What do you consider 101

I view prepper 101 as
Excellent distinction ... repelling a group of thugs is likely too much for most to hope to do. Repelling a squad is a fantasy.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
understood... BUT how do you prep for an event that keeps you away from home and work for over 1 year. That destroys your home, car, etc?????
You mean like a fire or something? If it's not SHTF then home and car insurance can help with that situation.

As for the loss of employment, that was what really got me started on prepping. I once got laid off and ended up losing everything. Apartment, car, possessions.. Once back on my feet I started to gather up supplies and also made a savings account that I put into every week for just that situation. To pay the bills. But that's just my personal plan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No Matter if you have all the weather equipment or not. If you don't pay attention to water levels clouds and have a regular thermometer you can easily wind up watching you preps float away. if you live in hills and mountains and don't know how to tell when there is more mud than water to evac then your screwed anyways. everything here is great but you can spend 10 grand on prepping equipment on one person (and that's not even firearms) you could still find your self freezing to death. I hike through the woods a lot and I can sustain myself on food from the woods for years. that doesn't mean I don't have food stashed or no equipment. The best advice Go Native learn from the woods. hell you may never get home to all your preps or half to rely on your family to pack up and meet you at different locations. never have one plan and never be afraid to use plan b. i don't have an everyday bag i just have my one week bag. my wife and other close relatives have maps of extraction points and routes . get a small portable greenhouse so if you have to go to a boat you have something grow food . You would have to do some math to see how much food you could grow and in what time frame and how many you would need per person. greenhouses would also come in handy if your planning on going north so you can grow food in the winter. communications cb radio short wave radios and sat phones with solar charges. If you can secure a Doppler radar system and equipment after sthf and have the power to run it the yeah your going to be good on watching weather . if you can get in contact with satellites. With gps devices and sat phones you maybe be able to rig an old commercial sat dish to stay in contact with them and find weather radar sats and be able to use the systems would work also. but yeah if the government hasn't collapsed im pretty sure that is illegal but I could be wrong. Never forget what other have left behind

1 - 20 of 20 Posts