Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article that said that millions are without power for their air conditioners. Don't get me wrong, I love air, but the media made it out as if these people were going to die if they didn't have air condition. What did they do BEFORE they had air conditioners?

Again, do not take me wrong. I understand that there are some people (with COPD) for instance that have issues breathing in extreme heat and they have adjusted all their life to be around cool air, but I'm just trying to image what someone back in the dust bowl era did.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I was thinking the same thing while I was sitting in my A/C controlled pole barn.

When I was a kid we didn't even have A/C in the car, let alone in the house.

·
Registered
92 Posts
houston tx. hot as hell down here. only one room in my house with a window ac. im doing good. i like to drive with the windows down. i love this heat, even though some days i lose a pound by just standing outside. just drink plenty of liquids.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I've been riding with my windows down in GA lately and you don't hear me complaining. Some folks.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
On sweltering hot days I remember what the grey miserable winter is like and it makes me glad to soak up the sun while I can..;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hot can be miserable but it beats cold any day in my book. I like cold for hunting but the rest of the year I'll take a ceiling fan and a cold drink with or without A/C. Now if I don't have electricity that is another story, aint gunna die but I do like a fan.:grin:

1895gunner

·
Registered
466 Posts
I moved up her 16 years ago to escape the heat. It only gets up to about 105 here, while down in the valley it got to 122-1/2 one day while we were sheeting a roof. It made that mark at 10:30 am. My crew was about dead from it. Phoenix did not grow until the invent of the water coolers. Then along came ac and it really took off. Same with a lot of places here in the sw. Without ac, a lot of people will get sick and die. Look at France a few years ago, when it got into the low 90's,. Lots of people died .

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
It gets pretty hot and muggy in south Alabama. We drink a lot of water. Well, smart people do. Light colored clothing and a lot of water and all is well.
Worse than the heat itself is the insects that thrive in the heat. Bug spray and long sleeves and pants are required. Otherwise, you are looking to get a mosquito-borne disease.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
I moved up her 16 years ago to escape the heat. It only gets up to about 105 here, while down in the valley it got to 122-1/2 one day while we were sheeting a roof. It made that mark at 10:30 am. My crew was about dead from it. Phoenix did not grow until the invent of the water coolers. Then along came ac and it really took off. Same with a lot of places here in the sw. Without ac, a lot of people will get sick and die. Look at France a few years ago, when it got into the low 90's,. Lots of people died .
105 in Phoenix is like 85 in Michigan

·
Registered
61 Posts
How old are you? Since AC in cars was introduced.....1939-1940
You don't have to be "old" to have grown up without A/C in cars...I'm not even 40 yet and my family never had a vehicle with A/C until I was about 18y.o. It was out there, but we were too poor to own any of it...

If the grid goes down for an extended period of time here in the desert, I'm not sure what I'd do. I'll try to hack it for a while; it might be do-able. I don't use the A/C in the Jeep in the summer time (no doors/top), but trying to sleep at night when it's 110+ is another story.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Well here in Mississippi it get a little on the hot side. My brother who lives in N.C. were I am from came out one summer and say I lived in the devil places. He has not being back in the summers only comes around November. This last May we had a heat index of 105. You sould have been here in August. You just live with it.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You just live with it.
That's it right there. I'm 26 and my daily driver has NO A/C. We installed a sunroof, and a rear slider, for more air flow. My house has central A/C that doesn't work. In the summer, ALL windows and doors with screens stay OPEN. A few floor fans, and a ceiling fan keeps everything OK. I've planted a BUNCH of fruit trees, and picked up a couple park benches. Come summertime, I'll be under a tree, in the shade, sitting on a park bench, sippin a glass of fresh squeezed lemonade, or OJ.

You just live with it. It ain't going away, and it ain't gettin cooler. Just gotta adapt :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
You don't have to be "old" to have grown up without A/C in cars...I'm not even 40 yet and my family never had a vehicle with A/C until I was about 18y.o. It was out there, but we were too poor to own any of it...

If the grid goes down for an extended period of time here in the desert, I'm not sure what I'd do. I'll try to hack it for a while; it might be do-able. I don't use the A/C in the Jeep in the summer time (no doors/top), but trying to sleep at night when it's 110+ is another story.
well I'm only right near the border.
you see them driving around with the windows down all the time when it gets 120+ outside.

I'm yet to see it get 110 at night. like ever
I know some just place a wet blanket in a doorway then open another for circulation. ( early swamp cooler action )

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sleeping in the heat is the worst part, at least for me. We will use a window unit if it gets over 90 but our place is pretty much covered with big maples and oaks and they seem to keep most of the heat at bay.

But Lord how I'd miss my fan! I've got some battery models to fall back on when the grid is down.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I work for a paving company so I'm pretty well adjusted to working in extreme heat with hot materials. We used to heat the asphalt to 350 degrees or more but with the price of fuel they are trying to work with lower temps. Blistered my feet a few times over the years but I love staying at home in the winter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts