Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think that there are many people who want to prep but don'twant to become a target or can't stand the idea of being look at like a scared fool. here are Ideas for people who want to prep but have these fears

Under the radar Food Storage:

Under the radar Water Supply:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have been storing water in plastic milk jugs. After we finish a gallon of milk, I sanitize it and fill it with water. How long should I keep it? Will sanitizing it before we drink it be safe? If the power goes, we won't have water from the tap.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you are scared to drink it straight, boil it. Or use it for wash and toilet flushing instead!

·
Registered
7 Posts
amym505 said:
I have been storing water in plastic milk jugs. After we finish a gallon of milk, I sanitize it and fill it with water. How long should I keep it? Will sanitizing it before we drink it be safe? If the power goes, we won't have water from the tap.
They say a year, but I've drunk water in milk jugs up to 3 years later with no ill effects. Watch your bottles as well, there are some horror stories of re-used milk jugs leaking pretty badly after a period of time. Sure, sanitizing before you drink it will make it safe. I'd keep some sort of water filter, whether a camping/hiking model or something larger like a Sawyer or Berkey on hand to use in emergencies, plus sodium hypochlorite (pool shock), at a minimum. I don't recommend standard bleach, as it degrades fairly quickly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
x3 on boiling water. For any water that is questionable, bring it to a boil. Some say that you have to boil it 5 minutes, this is false. Water at a boil will kill all microbes in the water and besides, you don't want to evaporate it. If you have to get pond water, run it through some coffee filters a few times or some pantyhose. I also agree on staying away from milk jugs because they do leak (my fathers basement is a good example), the lining is very weak anyway. 2Liter soda bottles for me work the best. I think the rule of thumb is 7 drops of "unscented bleach" to a gallon of water, I'll have to reference that though. I store my 2 liters in a cool place and I don't add bleach. I figure I would just boil it, along with the water I have stored from the rain barrels.

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
amym505 said:
But you do have a hot water heater that is full of water and should have an attachment for a standard garden hose. If SHTF or there is a natural disaster, turn the water off to the heating tank and then the house right away to help keep contaminated water out.

If we are fortunate enough to have a little lead time and you plan to stay at home, give your tub a quick scrub with bleach, rinse it out and fill that up. Then add about a quarter cup of bleach. Now you have water in the tub and the hot water tank. Use this first, then break into your jugs.

If you are going to use used milk jugs for water storage, make sure they are absolutley clean and sanitized. Fill them up, add a couple drops of bleach, put the lid on, wipe down the outer surface around the lid to sanitize it, then seal it up with wax. Kind of like they do with Makers Mark Whiskey. Keep the water out of the sun as sunlight destroys the chlorine. If you feel the need to do so, boil it when you pop it open. And be sure to write the date on the jug with a permanent marker of when you sealed it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts