Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Prehospital Trauma Care

2K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  OregonDreams 
#1 ·
With everyone stocking beans and bullets, do you have a stock of medical equipment you keep on hand?

I mean not just basic medical,for those of you a ways off from a hospital, do you carry or keep a trauma kit nearby?
Do you know how and when to use it?

97% of preventable deaths occur from bleeding out. What is your hemorrhage control and plan to stop the bleeding?
I believe at minimum everyone should have close at hand a TQ, Compressed gauze, Chest seals, and Elastic bandages. Add on any extra kit you are trained to use or may be useful in your situation.

NPA’s and NCD’s do NOT belong in your IFAK,

Any medics in here with some input? Your preps are useless if you slip and fall on your knife and bleed out.

#2 ·
I mean not just basic medical,for those of you a ways off from a hospital, do you carry or keep a trauma kit nearby?
As a retired PH I always carried a trauma kit in the field, which was generally 90 days straight. In 2021 (after my neighbor got mauled to death and eaten in our backyard) I set about building a serious trauma kit. I lucked out and received a lot of badly needed help.

It ended up quite huge, I had to cull it into two "Step" kits. First step for serious wilderness trauma (hopefully to allow crawling to the plane or truck. Then a second step-up kit to enhance probability of making it 110 miles to hospital by road, or 300 miles by aircraft.

#5 ·
As a retired PH I always carried a trauma kit in the field, which was generally 90 days straight. In 2021 (after my neighbor got mauled to death and eaten in our backyard) I set about building a serious trauma kit. I lucked out and received a lot of badly needed help.

It ended up quite huge, I had to cull it into two "Step" kits. First step for serious wilderness trauma (hopefully to allow crawling to the plane or truck. Then a second step-up kit to enhance probability of making it 110 miles to hospital by road, or 300 miles by aircraft.
Could you elaborate on some of the things you carry for wilderness trauma? i am still in the process of building a better kit for being in the wilderness and could use some insight. thanks for your response.

#4 ·
97 out of 100 patients who die from blood loss could have been saved by proper and immediate pre hospital treatment. i understand how i worded it makes it sound.

anything else to add bud? can you perhaps share some of your medical wisdom on trauma care with the class?

#6 ·
With everyone stocking beans and bullets, do you have a stock of medical equipment you keep on hand?

97% of preventable deaths occur from bleeding out. What is your hemorrhage control and plan to stop the bleeding?
I believe at minimum everyone should have close at hand a TQ, Compressed gauze, Chest seals, and Elastic bandages. Add on any extra kit you are trained to use or may be useful in your situation.

Any medics in here with some input? Your preps are useless if you slip and fall on your knife and bleed out.
I have a very well stocked trauma kit. This includes SAM splints, chest seals, ACE bandages, quick-clot, lots of gauze, etc. In addition, I have forceps, suture kits, tweezers, scalpels, etc. I have gathered and read a number of medical manuals and herbal medicine manuals. Out SHTF group has an EMT, a retired Navy corpsman and a retired ER nurse. When I started prepping, one of my first priorities was to gather medical gear and anything the would help in their uses.

#8 ·

We control hemmoraging by direct pressure or a tourniquet as taught in Boy Scouts and First Aid 101.

#10 ·
Yes, exactly as I was taught in the mid 1950's Boy Scouts. But most of that assumed you were rendering aid on another injured person. I build my kit assuming only me fixing myself, and as much as possible, assumed my dominant hand/arm was included in damaged parts.

For where and how I live a PLB was/is of equal importance to the trauma kit.

#11 ·

The three most common injuries leading to death that could be prevented, according to DoD statistics on soldiers, is:
1. Exsanguination (bleeding out)
2. Tension pneumothorax (collapsed lung with air intake in chest cavity)
3. Airway obstruction

I have booboo kits and household first aid kits. These have normal items for the most common of household injuries. (cuts, scrapes, bug bites, cold compress, etc)
But for my IFAK, both on person and in bags, I have the necessary equipment to address the above three causes of preventable death. (tourniquets/pressure bandages, decompression needle and chest seals, airway kits)
I carry my on-body IFAK when I have a firearm. I have a truck bag with one when I'm not, which isn't often.
Why do you recommend that NPAs not be included in IFAKs? What would you recommend for airway obstruction?
Full disclosure, I don't use NPAs, but rather Berman type oral airway kits.

#18 ·
I don’t recommend NPA’s in an IFAK for a couple reasons which are fairly simple.

The first is that an IFAK is your personal medical kit, to be used on yourself available with either hand. If I am in a position to need an NPA I won’t be the one able to insert it, therefore taking up unnecessary space on my kit.
Instead I try to recommend people use the recovery position for a patient, which is fairly successful at keeping airways clear.

#15 ·
I told my depression survivor (in style) grandmother that I would have a pharmacy to trade for what I didn't grow and do ok.
She said "Oh everybody that took pills died?" and she meant the addicts just as much.
But? I suppose when its war i will do war and when it quiets down, i will trade.
I already know they are going to launch a puke-n-sht on people that will be resistant and that even we are going to stay far from.

#17 ·
As Kauboy noted, everyone should learn the US Army 4 Life Saving Steps.
1. Clear the airway
2. Stop the bleeding
3. Protect the wound
4. Treat for shock

This just MIGHT keep the patient alive long enough to get to proper medical care.
Notice the order - they are that way on purpose.

#21 · (Edited)
I recently got hit by a car. I have a brand new piece of titanium in my shoulder. I know it isn't SHTF stuff, but you know what I wished I had prepped? A good orthopedist, a good lawyer, a plan to have somebody take care of the kids, and good insurance.

Finding a lawyer is tough. You want to take your time and interview a bunch of people and feel then out. But there are time limits on the insurance. The adjuster is pressuring you to make a statement. You have to file to preserve the cops body cam and dash cam footage before they delete it. You have to work fast. And you can't even drive.

Also, I recommend having a backup plan for getting in touch with you wife if she doesn't answer her cell phone. I wish I had one of her co-workers' phone numbers or something.

Hand Shoulder Dress shirt Neck Sleeve

#27 ·
"that is the real question to pose,

When I say I don’t recommend almost anyone carry NCD’s or NPA’s in their IFAK’s is because I do not want some guy who took a basic red cross first aid class 4 years ago sticking me with a chest dart. I also don’t want some random inserting my NPA incorrectly either. Because items on an IFAK are what I’m supposed to be using on myself, I don’t carry those items on my IFAK and used the save space for extra hemorrhage control, extra TQ, something along those lines."

Are you accomplishing something with all the letter abbreviations? Did you just recently become a paramedic? Its like you are speaking lingo for new emts or something?

#33 ·
no friend, i use the abbreviations because i have fingers like microwaved hotdogs and it gets old typing it over and over again, so the abbreviations help with saving myself time and if i type it my phone with automatically capitalize it.

if you can’t understand those abbreviations, and are seriously prepping, I would recommend getting some training on medical care. i apologize if any of the information came off confusing

as stated above,
IFAK - individual first aid kit, for 1 person, being yourself.
TQ - Tourniquet, cuts blood circulation to a limb, also cutting off blood flow to an injury.
NPA- Nasopharyngeal Airway, opens the airway inserted in through the nose
NCD - Chest decompression needle. inserted into the rib cage to prevent tension pneumothorax

#30 ·
NCD - Needle Chest Decompression
NPA - NasoPharyngeal Airway
TQ - tourniquet

Every two years SOMA (Special Operations Medical Association) does a multi-injury group of scenarios. They do that to evaluate whether current TCCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Care) protocols are meeting the need and whether changes should happen. They used the Blackhawk Down battle one year. These ongoing reviews by very dedicated people are how things like NCD got put in. Or wounded but alert and coherent gets a saline lock instead of an IV

The use the wounded persons stuff first rule s still in effect.

Self training?
My opinion - start with a download of the free book Survival and Austere Medicine.

There are any number of good manuals you can learn from. This one is in Version 3 and still is free. We’re currently working on V4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.