Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at prepping defense, squaring away home defense & preparing the lands for prying eyes, I find myself mulling over the practical side of being armed/equipped on a daily basis. While I'm not going to be walking around in full "battle rattle" or even plate carrier, armor, umpteen magazines & kitted out with every whiz-bang thing than can single handedly fix my rifle, my car & also make my breakfast.
I'm more than likely going to have a belt, either leather or battle-belt, kitted with maybe some medical, a couple mags & a rifle/pistol & some water. I ask myself, like with an EDC now, what is my willingness to compromise weight & use. I'm not looking to run around with an AR15, full kit & MRE's. While the circumstances will certainly be different post fecal matter smacking the air mover, I likely would still prefer to not exude the "I'm here to stack bodies" look.
I'd much prefer to be effective if I need to be, while not screaming tacti-cool.

What are your thoughts on what like will likely look like after whatever event befalls us all? Everyone running around ready for extended gunfights, or should our focus be more on what am I likely to use on a daily basis?

Should I stack a closet with AK's, or is my ol' lever action with rounds onboard or on a belt enough for the day-to-day, kind of thought process.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,501 Posts
For around your own land, a solid belt and pouch will be absolutely necessary. A sidearm on the belt with reloads. IFAK in the pouch along with other helpful things like a lighter, multi-tool, snack, comms, etc...
A signaling whistle on the wrist, not around the neck, would be good for trying to alert the homestead of danger.
There should be a medium to long range rifle nearby at all times. Keep your head up and always moving. If you don't see it coming, it won't matter how prepared you are. A watchman would be invaluable for work away from fortifications.

For wandering into town, a solid belt, a possibles bag, and a shoulder slung short barreled rifle or subcompact carbine under the arm, all worn/concealed under a jacket.
This is what I anticipate. It will provide the "I'm prepared to handle you and make it not worth your while, but I'm here to be civil" presentation you might be looking for.
The belt should have a sidearm and all reloads for both pistol and rifle. A full-tang, fixed blade knife should also be carried.
First aid in the possibles bag(tourniquets/blood stoppers/packing gauze), along with trading items, lighter/matches, multi-tool, navigation.
If you can manage a slick-sided plate carrier without "stuff" all over it, all the better.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What are your thoughts on what like will likely look like after whatever event befalls us all? Everyone running around ready for extended gunfights, or should our focus be more on what am I likely to use on a daily basis?
Ok I am a Tactical Prepper, and to me being Tactical means using tactics and tactical planning... So that means levels of being armed. The Gray Man strategy is a joke... that is just the tactic of camouflage. So here is the way I do it.

EDC: (until my arrest), involved a concealed handgun and sometimes an open carry.
Combat Load: All the Battle Rattle and thats a worst case scenario.
My BOB has 2: Support Bags because I plan to Bug-In. I can Cache the Support Bags if need be.

But, I'm never going to rock the Grunt gear unless I need to go to war, the SHTF after the SHTF.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had to run so to finish my Tactical Prepping statement and answer your questions...
What are your thoughts on what like will likely look like after whatever event befalls us all?
Look at the aftermath of Katrina, the Riots over Floyd Webb and here is what you can expect in one case. There are gun preppers which are little more then people prepping to engage in violent fantasies. There could be violence, and you don't want to be out gunned, out numbered or out maneuvered, being all three well...

But, an Army marches on its stomach. And without supply lines a soldier doesn't eat. So there is a lot more that a tactical prepper needs to secure for survival. Most violence will be crime; robberies, home invasions and so on until the government isn't around to enforce the law.

Everyone running around ready for extended gunfights, or should our focus be more on what am I likely to use on a daily basis?
Both, you prepare for every possibility because preparing for one prepares for others.

Remember what I said about tactics? There are two opinions in the Prepping Community addressed as Strategies by rank amateurs and people with no clue. These are the "Hard Targets" and "Gray Man" strategies. They are the tactics of Camouflage and Force Deterrence, a Tactical Prepper should be able to flex between tactics based on Terrain and situation.
1. Camouflage, means to be seen but not noticed. This will get you past authority types. Cops will notice a guy decked for war quicker then a guy with only an AR15.
2. A Force Deterrence, is presenting a combat ready appearance to ward off threats. This works for people who don't have the cloak of authority to rely on. The tough guys challenging people on the interstate with tire irons because their car ran out of gas and others brought an extra gas can are less likely to bully someone who looks like they can win any fight.

So how would a tactical prepper dress and act? Easy... He will be armed but not stand out as ready for combat. If he faces those toughs, he has a gun and if you passes a police check point he doesn't look threatening. If he comes across a bunch of Antifa/Mutant Biker Zombies stopping and robbing people on the road but, can't avoid it. The tactical prepper can turn into a combat ready Force Deterrent.

Terrain dictates the tactics you use.

·
Super Moderator
10,501 Posts
@ErickthePutz, it's been 12 hours since you informed us about our bad info and assumptions.
I assume it's taken this long for you to formulate a correction we'll all benefit from.
Please share.

·
Super Moderator
10,501 Posts
@ErickthePutz, 23.5 hours and counting.
This is gonna be one humdinger of a well thought out and formatted reply.
My anticipation is building.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To respond to what's been posted thus far, I'm currently pretty lightly armed overall as it's not the only prep I'm focusing on, I've got a a variety of guns for different roles & a plate & carrier for when/if things are getting super nuts, but I love the response @wraithofroncollins, I agree to a point, my carried gear is dictated by what I'm doing/expecting to do. I cater that gear to the mission. In most cases, my "mission" for that day will be keeping a garden, checking on the land & if need be, keep folks aware but not scared.

I suppose it's best to clarify what I meant, if I can. My daily load is dictated by my preps, but what I carry every day will change. Hope that helps understand my approach, as it's aligned with what you explained, for the most part. I'm not one for a "gray man" approach, but am willing to/capable of blending in.

I may daily keep a few mags on me for the rifle & pistol post-trouble times, but not rolling ready to take the hill on most days, due to practicality & needing to prioritize mobility & agility over "winning the gunfight". I'm mostly breaking contact, not being offensive. If it comes to being defensive, I.E. keeping folks off my property, it'll be a different story, but my thought process is provide sudden & overwhelming force, then withdraw rather than sustain a firefight.

·
Super Moderator
10,501 Posts
@ErickthePutz, after 36 hours since your tease, I'm starting to question that you actually have anything to add.
Thanks for trying to steer us right, but maybe provide some meat to your post next time.
Or don't, ya know... Keep living up to that name, and we'll happily disregard your petty quips.
;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
You know I actually wrote a book on Tactical Planning for the Tactical Preppers... I haven't typed it up it yet, though to name it Tacti-Cool: A badass survival manual for surviving like a badass. But, I have also written other tactical style survival manuals and, I always get readers asking me questions about things like METT-TC and why I'm against the Gray Man Prepper Strategy.

To me I think their is a problem with the Tactical environment. Group One of tactical preppers come from LEOs who see Tactical as running around like a SWAT team and they run firearms schools that cater to that philosophy.

Group Two are veterans and tactical preppers who think in terms of paramilitary operations, we use the same tactics as Group One but, think in terms of field fortifications, LP/OPs, logistical support, OPSEC and, so on. Our philosophy is to operate like the Rangers or Special Forces types.

Thing is the wannabe see the two groups and assume they just need the gear and skills but, never developed the mindset. I can't speak too much on the first groups way of thinking but, as a Member of Group Two. I plan allot... I plan for Bugging-In, Bugging-Out, for every scenario I can think of. I plan to win and I plan to lose. I plan to have a group and I plan to go lone wolf.

This is the critical way in which I view Tactics and Strategy. Tactics are pre-planned responses to a situation or environmental condition to achieve a goal. Strategy is a series of overlapping goals, each one reinforcing or making the next goal possible. Each goal is classed as Instant, Immediate, Short-Term, Mid-Term, Long-Term and an End Goal you seek to achieve through achieving each goal.

So let me ask @Ecko47 and everyone else... What is your Survival End Goal?

·
Registered
582 Posts
This is all you to know about why tactical is practical...
Antifa 🤣
View attachment 114599
And Red Neck Revolt... :rolleyes:
View attachment 114600
All coming to redistribute your wealth
Upside is while they try to redsitribute your wealth you'll be able to redistribute their gear. Not sure about the guys in the bottom photo but the hipsters up top look like the kind of folks that will leave their "buddies" behind when the shizzy hits the fizzy.

Was hoping for a pair of size ten boots but it looks like they are all wearing tactical Sketchers.

Godspeed

·
Administrator
15,565 Posts
I’m just a simple Old Soldier that was soldiering before body armor, and tacti-crap.
All I need to defend the farm is my AKM, and the eight 30 round magazines already loaded.
If I need more than 240 rounds to settle a problem, what I really need is artillery or air support.
(I clean the AK once every five years or so, whether it needs it or not)
The people in the top photo above are hilarious, the people in the bottom picture may have zero experience out where the rubber meets the road.

What would be scarier would be six or so half starved North Vietnamese Army regulars wearing sandals, and carrying AK47’s.

Reactions: wraithofroncollins
1 - 20 of 23 Posts