Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a power plant about 25 ft from the back of my BOL and wasn't sure if it would possibly serve any purpose if shtf? Assuming the grid was down I'm sure it would be worthless, besides possibly salvaging for bartering materials, any ideas?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..Do NOT --- repeat, NOT!!! -- "salvage" (= "steal") any equipment from the power plant under ANY circumstances, especially if SHTF! -- Don't even THINK about it!
*slap* *slap* *slap*...
WHOA! Like Comegetme said, he was talking about a SHTF world, so if a power station is standing rusting and derelict why shouldn't we help ourselves to any bits and pieces from it to help us stay alive? Same with derelict supermarkets, we'd be crazy not to grab some food rather than let it rot away!
Of course, everything depends on what type of SHTF zaps us; for example if it's just a temporary spell of civil unrest, it'd be illegal and morally wrong to take stuff, but if it was a major longterm disaster in a barren world where people are dying like flies of starvation, disease, cold and radiation etc there'd come a point at which legality/illegality has no meaning any more, and a man will have to do what a man's gotta do to stay alive.
In other words we can't play by obsolete rules and regulations in a Major Longterm Disaster scenario or we wouldn't last 5 minutes!

Check this Survivors clip, a plague has wiped out 95 percent of humans, and this small group go foraging for food at a derelict supermarket in a deserted landscape (at 6:20)
Could it be called looting? Should they say "We can't take stuff, it's against the law"? Or are they simply doing what all of us would do and taking it with a clear conscience?
What would forum members do in their place, take it or starve??

·
Registered
231 Posts
Take it.

Looting a supermarket would be wrong right now because all of that stuff inside belongs to someone, the owner, but once the world ends it belongs to no one.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Personally I wouldn't mess with anything related to electrical because you never know where there's a backup generator involved or someone backfeeding into lines. Not worth touching it IMO.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes there are many useful items in a power plant for a "survival" scenario. If absolutely necessary I wouldn't see a problem with it. However I doubt it would ever be absolutely necessary as those items can be found almost anywhere else as well. As far as the actual equipment it would be very difficult to put it to use with the knowledge of the average laymen. Besides, as stated earlier, when people do come along that can fix that power station it would be a shame if they didn't have the things they needed. Remember in a scenario such as this the manpower and knowledge may still be there to get things up and running again but we may not be able to have equipment shipped in. Think before you act son. Best advice ever.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Very good thinking, PrepperMama!

Especially after seeing all the recommendations here and elsewhere for backfeeding from a generator.

-- Paravani
'
My husband is a licensed electrician and even he will tell you to leave that kind of stuff alone, especially if you don't have the right training. Even the experienced guys get accidentally fried sometimes.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Okay everybody, try this little 'Law and Order' dilemma on for size:-
In a SHTF world one of your group is murdered and you're all 99% certain that you know who the killer is, he's one of your members..
Do you execute him so that he can't kill anybody else, or do you banish him and hope he won't kill again somewhere else?
They're faced with exactly that dilemma in this clip from 'Survivors', it opens with them voting on whether to execute or banish the killer.
(There's no law or cops to hand him over to because a plague has wiped out nearly everybody on earth)

***SPOILER****
read on if you want to know what happened and don't want to watch the clip-
(they execute him (gunshot heard from the woods at 3:51) but then find out he was innocent when the real killer (Tom Price) confesses)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a power plant about 25 ft from the back of my BOL and wasn't sure if it would possibly serve any purpose if shtf? Assuming the grid was down I'm sure it would be worthless, besides possibly salvaging for bartering materials, any ideas?
I suggest preparation is superior to looting anyways. Think about it. You're going to need more than electricity. You'll also need appliances themselves. What good is a transformer if you're on the move for instance? It will just weigh you down.

In your scenario, the plant is near your BOL. Therefore it is likely that other people in your location will be looking to get power as well. How is taking stuff advantageous to you then? You're basically painting a big old target on your back aren't you??? ESPECIALLY if you plan to jerry-rig some loud primitive electrical generator.

I'm not a believer in green energy yet for daily life, but survival is a different story. I would suggest putting money away to invest in solar or wind capabilities. Think about it. You really only need to run a refrigerator and freezer 99% of the time if SHTF. I would figure out how much battery power you needed to run a fridge and then divide it into 2 battery banks. Use 1 to run the appliances while the other bank charges.

Another option would be micro-hydroelectric power if your BOL is near running water. I hope to move off the grid with hydroelectric power one day.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is absolutely NOTHING in a power station that will help you "stay alive" if it is not functioning. You can't eat copper wire; you can't cook with the chemicals you will find there.

There is nothing to GAIN that is greater than what you will LOSE by dismantling a power station.

We are civilized men and women. It is electrical power that drives our civilization. Electricity isn't magic; it doesn't happen by magic, and it won't be restored by magic, either. It will be restored by thinking, breathing men and women like myself....

... BUT ONLY IF THE EQUIPMENT IS STILL THERE WHEN WE COME LOOKING FOR IT.

If you or any of you dismantle that equipment or allow anyone else to do so, you will be admitting defeat. You will be bringing about the permanent loss of our civilization.

You will be declaring yourself to be no better, no smarter than your average animal.

You will be a traitor to humanity.

And what will you tell your children?

-- Paravani
(an electrical engineer specializing in power)
Once again, we are assuming a total breakdown of society, for the long term. There are a great number of things that can be used from a power plant. Having to worry about being shocked a month, two months, six months after society breaks down? I would say not so much.

In a great number of power plants you will find many thousands of gallons of diesel or fuel oil. Coal, or other types of fuels. You will also find back up generators, centrifugal motors (which can easily be modified so they can be hand cranked and used as pumps), copper, aluminum, and precious metals that can be used for barter, etc etc ad nauseum. These things could very well save your life.

At the point where it would be advantageous to take from a power plant, getting the plant back up and running is the last thing on anyone's mind.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Again -- it is even MORE important to leave the equipment in place in a complete-breakdown-for-the-long-term situation. The reason is that if that is the case, your only hope of ever seeing a return to electricity lies in keeping the equipment in place, because there will not be any new equipment any time soon.
Neither will there be anyone experienced in plant management, operation, or repair. If you have to relearn everything, having equipment does you no good. We're talking mad max type world here bubba.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Well as far as I know, after SHTF nothing is going to matter so Paravani's argument is out the window. in SHTF all bets are off. I would be more worried about fortifying the powerplant and using it as a base of operations. You'll be able to find tools, spare spools of wire, vehicles, gasoline and other goodies. I know the bridge I film under is also right by the waterworks pressure hub to this area. I have talked with water workers and do know for a fact they keep generators, tools, all sorts of stuff in that little building and I for one will be targeting it almost right away. Those workers will likely be dead or running somewhere and WON'T be showing up to work a job that isn't paying for a boss that is no longer there.

I don't think there are any stupid questions, only stupid responses and knee-jerk reactions. Calling another member a stupid kid or telling him he's dumb for asking what seems to be a valid question isn't at all like us at prepperforums-net. Do try and take it easy on the users if you would.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I suggest preparation is superior to looting anyways. Think about it. You're going to need more than electricity. You'll also need appliances themselves. What good is a transformer if you're on the move for instance? It will just weigh you down.

In your scenario, the plant is near your BOL. Therefore it is likely that other people in your location will be looking to get power as well. How is taking stuff advantageous to you then? You're basically painting a big old target on your back aren't you??? ESPECIALLY if you plan to jerry-rig some loud primitive electrical generator.

I'm not a believer in green energy yet for daily life, but survival is a different story. I would suggest putting money away to invest in solar or wind capabilities. Think about it. You really only need to run a refrigerator and freezer 99% of the time if SHTF. I would figure out how much battery power you needed to run a fridge and then divide it into 2 battery banks. Use 1 to run the appliances while the other bank charges.

Another option would be micro-hydroelectric power if your BOL is near running water. I hope to move off the grid with hydroelectric power one day.
My board of directors and I have started a nonprofit to build an ecovillage so that we can prep in plain view of the govt. with their approval. If you're really thinkin' about goin' off the grid you should message me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well as far as I know, after SHTF nothing is going to matter so Paravani's argument is out the window. in SHTF all bets are off. I would be more worried about fortifying the powerplant and using it as a base of operations. You'll be able to find tools, spare spools of wire, vehicles, gasoline and other goodies. I know the bridge I film under is also right by the waterworks pressure hub to this area. I have talked with water workers and do know for a fact they keep generators, tools, all sorts of stuff in that little building and I for one will be targeting it almost right away. Those workers will likely be dead or running somewhere and WON'T be showing up to work a job that isn't paying for a boss that is no longer there.

I don't think there are any stupid questions, only stupid responses and knee-jerk reactions. Calling another member a stupid kid or telling him he's dumb for asking what seems to be a valid question isn't at all like us at prepperforums-net. Do try and take it easy on the users if you would.
Absolutely right. The kid asked a legit question and it deserved a legit response. Not childish name calling. Let's be grown ups here folks. One reason I joined was that admin made it clear as did most of the earlier members that they were HAPPY to answer any questions even if they've already been covered. Respect and control of your tongue will be a great resource when shtf.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You are right there is no stupid question. But there are a lot of inquisitive idiots out there. Sometimes it is the inquisitive idiots that give the answers.

Just to clarify I am not calling Paravani an inquisitive idiot.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You still aren't listening.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ive said it. You decided to ignore it.

After ten or twenty years of neglect those parts will have to be replaced anyway. The unprepared masses will strip everything of use even if you are able to convince everyone that joins this forum not to.

But you will ignore this too.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.