Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
yeah, I know, yuck! but I have been wondering, if say the electricity goes, and if you don't own milking cows, or have friends that do. How long is milk going to last? I know a lot of people store water, but is that water going to taste as good as what you have now? I know, better than dying of thirst, but perhaps powdered milk is starting to not be so yuckie now? I haven't seen anyone write anything about storing powered milk, maybe I just missed it? Anyway, any thoughts about powdered milk?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Powdered milk, 'specially powdered whole milk works good. If properly stored it will last a long time.

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
A cheap something to put away is generic corn flakes, sugar, & powdered milk. Not the best tasting but it is food.

I also have powdered milk put up for baking.

·
Super Moderator
9,035 Posts
When my son was an infant, he couldn't tolerate whole milk. A friend suggested powdered milk (no fat). When freshly made, it sucked, as far as taste. But allowed to sit in the fridge for 24 - 30 hours, the taste was more than tolerable. I have it in my stores, just in case.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes it needs to be mixed and let set and it gets better. I have a nice bucket full. I have used it recently for mac and cheeze when I was out of milk recently and didnt want to run to town. (15 minutes one way)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I actually made mac & cheese with it just a month ago. I had a half glass mixed up left. I had added more powder to the water than directed, and I thought it wasn't bad. Made the M&C a little sweeter, I thought. I got the fat free, thinking it wouldn't go rancid as fast. I could drink it, if there was nothing else. I've tasted worse things... Castor oil.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
We have 7 or 8 four pound boxes of it stored. I was flipping through one of Mrs Inor's home cheese making books two days ago and noticed you can even use it for making some of the soft cheeses - Ricotta and such. I suppose if you put enough salt in it, it would not suck too bad.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I grew up with powdered milk. I would rather go without than drink it. If you have water for powdered milk there is no reason to have it.
I make bread using just water, flour, a bit of salt and sourdough starter. It is good bread and by modifying the amount of flour I can make flap jacks, buiscuits, cornbread, and muffins. No milk needed.
Don't get me wrong, I like cereal as much as anyone but it will taste the same with just water as it does with powdered milk. When I left home I swore I would never have anything but whole milk in my house. I've "got milk" until the SHTF. I drink a lot of water, juice, coffee, and sometimes milk but the only thing I need is the water.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have powdered milk back stocked but only in cans with a 20 years shelf life as it is not something I use enough to rotate the stock.

I have had milk goats before and they are easy to keep and give quite a lot of milk. We got rid of them after most of my 5 children left home because we didn't need that much milk anymore, they product 1-2 gallons of milk a day.

It's also a pain to be tied down milking twice a day.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My thoughts exactly, MrsInor! We store powdered and condensed. Not crazy about the taste, but they'll do in a pinch (may be a really long pinch but none the less, they'll do!).

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I keep powdered and condensed both. It's in a dark, cool place with ventilation. I guess that's about as good as I can get for "proper storage".

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
I only buy the whole powdered milk because it works for baking. When I buy a box, I break it down into quart jars & vacseal the lid on.

And BTW, you can freeze whole milk.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
How odd the timing of this resurected thread, lol. Last weekend I went on a food buying spree, but the one thing I did not find was "whole" powdered milk, only found skim or fat free. I can get Nido just about everywhere here though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts